6mm CM build barrels- how short with accuracy ?

How short have you built or would you build a steel 6CM barrel before you get concerned about loss of long range accuracy? Let’s assume a medium or heavy sporter contour. Not worried about trimming weight but rather keeping a reasonable overall suppressed length. 9” can. Maybe a better question is to ask if 20”-22” would or could adversely affect performance? Not looking to get crazy short but would like to hear your input & experience. CF barrel builders please chime in also. Thanks.

Last edited:

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
At least in theory a shorter barrel will be more accurate than a long barrel just do to the fact it is stiffer (everything else being equal). Not sure if that really helps or answers what your looking for though.

When you say long range are you meaning from a pure accuracy perspective or terminal performance on game?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
How short have you built or would you build a steel 6CM barrel before you get concerned about loss of long range accuracy? Let’s assume a medium or heavy sporter contour. Not worried about trimming weight but rather keeping a reasonable overall suppressed length. 9” can. Maybe a better question is to ask if 20”-22” would or could adversely affect performance? Not looking to get crazy short but would like to hear your input & experience. CF barrel builders please chime in also. Thanks.

20” is easy. “Precision” has nothing to barrel length. Have shot 243/6cm/etc below 16”- they shoot just fine.

OP
Go West Old Man
At least in theory a shorter barrel will be more accurate than a long barrel just do to the fact it is stiffer (everything else being equal). Not sure if that really helps or answers what your looking for though.

When you say long range are you meaning from a pure accuracy perspective or terminal performance on game?
Conservative and comfortable to my average skill on game & maybe out to 400 yards, and steel & electronic targets just for fun out to 1k when the opportunity for that distance arises.

OP
Go West Old Man
20” is easy. “Precision” has nothing to barrel length. Have shot 243/6cm/etc below 16”- they shoot just fine.
Thanks, Form! I’m confident knowing that we believe you speak from experience. 👍 I’d be ok with 20-22” verses a typical 24 or 26.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thanks, Form! I’m confident knowing that we believe you speak from experience. 👍 I’d be ok with 20-22” verses a typical 24 or 26.

18”-20” 6cm’s are silly good to distances way longer than almost anyone should be shooting animals. Ryan Avery’s uncle used my 20” 6XC (which is same/same as 6cm) to kill an elk at 970 yards clean as could be.