6x or 3-15 SWFA

robtattoo

WKR
Quick question, needing a pretty quick answer.

I have a 6x Swiffer (mil quad) right now. Actually, I have 6xs on 3 rifles. I know them & I love them

A great friend of mine is looking for a scope for a new .308, budget is 500.

I've also found a 3-15 SWFA for sale at 550.

Would you:
A:- Recommend they spend the extra $50 & buy the 3-15, bearing mind she'll still need rings & I will not let her cheap out on them....or

B:- Buy the 3-15 myself & sell her the 6x for a friendly (not above retail) price?

Buy the 3-15 and let her choose. That’s less than what I recently paid for one. Still keeping an eye out for a 6x but they’ve become unicorns.

oh and the 3-15 has some of the best eye relief of any mid power variable, so that’s another check for it.

Last edited:
without asking tooo many questions i'd tell em to spring for the 3-15 and not give up a 6x.
I'd be in the same boat. I have 3 6xs and one 3-15. The 3-9 really is the better scope of the bunch though.

The 3-15 is a good scope for the money though.

TxLite

WKR
I’ve found that newer shooters tend to like a shit ton of zoom. After quite a bit of practice they may realize that less zoom is perfectly ok.

I’d recommend the 3-15 and let her choose what works best for her later. She won’t hate that zoom range and can always zoom out but she might feel like she can’t see her target as well with a fixed 6.

TaperPin

WKR
Some new shooters like having fewer things to mess with. A buddy’s son shot a fixed 6x of mine and remarked he liked not having to think about the power selector and what would be the best setting. Since then my loaner gun has always had a 6x.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
I’ve found that newer shooters tend to like a shit ton of zoom. After quite a bit of practice they may realize that less zoom is perfectly ok.

I’d recommend the 3-15 and let her choose what works best for her later. She won’t hate that zoom range and can always zoom out but she might feel like she can’t see her target as well with a fixed 6.
I can't argue with that at all. I'm sure we've all been through the mega mag craze, before settling down to more sensible scopes. It took me a long time to figure out that for 20+ years, 90% or more of my field shots had been taken at 6x or less. Now, my highest mag scope tops out at 10x & is one of 3 adjustable I actually own on hunting guns. I only have that because it was the lightest, quality option in my budget 😆 chances are, I'll set it at 6 & proverbially rip the knob off.
The others are a 2-7 & a 1.5-5