7-08 for Elk

Kstitz

FNG
I am considering this caliber for my 12 year old hunting deer, elk and antelope.

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
I'll let you know after this season. I'm "downgrading" from a .30-06 that weighs about 9.5 lbs w/ scope and ammo to a Kimber hunter in 7mm-08 that weighs a bit over 6 lbs ready to roll.

Longest shot I've taken has been 235 yards with the '06 and based on ballistics of the premium ammo I'm looking at 350 yards seems reasonable if my shooting ability allows for it.

OP
M

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
I am considering this caliber for my 12 year old hunting deer, elk and antelope.
This is exactly the reason I posted the original question and so far it is a resounding yes by a lot of people with much more experience than me. Check out the elknut post in this thread he has great material on elk hunting

I can’t speak to the elk hunting thing as I’ve never done it, but I did pick up a 7-08 several years ago for my then 12 y/o son. He killed a moose with it the next year, so I would assume it would be plenty adequate for elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to try the 150 grain ELD-X hornady precision hunter this year. Good energy and velocity to 400 yards.

Go check out the hammer bullet forum. The administrator of the site (Steve) has loaded hammer bullets for his daughters 7-08. The 131 gn hammer hunter and the 136 gn Sledgehammer can be loaded for some decent velocities using the hammer bullets, especially the hammer hunters as they have a good deal less friction than standard lead bullets and can be loaded to higher than normal velocities. Ask Steve what he would recommend.
Good luck!