7-08 for lefties

jpmulk

WKR
Any fellow lefties out there shoot a 7-08?

Im considering moving from my tikka 7mag to a 7-08 for the predominant reasons of less recoil and a lighter rifle. I only shoot out to 400-500 yards max anyway. I feel the 7-08 would meet all of my needs just fine while being able to be more comfortable on the gun. (Im a smaller frame guy and i think the less recoil the better)

Thoughts? What 7-08s have you lefties found that you like? I know we have way less options to pick from.

Thanks.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
i picked up a left-handed savage axis youth model in 7-08. accuracy was mediocre with the plastic stock and the axis trigger is horrendous. put it into a boyd's stock. did a $10 trigger job on it with new spring and screw but that necessitated doing a little dremel work on the stock. accuracy much improved. have a not-very-expensive leupold 3-9x40 on it. it's fun to shoot. i use it for practice and carry it around hunting season every now and again just for fun. between rifle, stock, and scope/rings, into it about $500

still prefer my 7RM T3 though :)

Watching as well... have a couple lefties in my fam and want to get the boys and prolly the wife one as well... prefer a tikka superlite... but those seem unobtanium

Ram94

WKR

Im considering moving from my tikka 7mag to a 7-08 for the predominant reasons of less recoil and a lighter rifle. I only shoot out to 400-500 yards max anyway. I feel the 7-08 would meet all of my needs just fine while being able to be more comfortable on the gun. (Im a smaller frame guy and i think the less recoil the better)

Thoughts? What 7-08s have you lefties found that you like? I know we have way less options to pick from.

Thanks.
No opinion on left handed rifles, but I did what you are describing for the same reasons. I am extremely impressed with the 7-08 and wish I had done it sooner. I shoot the same bullet that I was in the 7RM (162 ELD) but it is more in the sweet spot of it's expansion velocity range from 0-600 yards. The 7RM was pushing them at around 2900fps and they would shatter on impact unless the shot was over 300 yards. With the 7-08 they're leaving the barrel at 2700 and have performed much better for me as far as less damage. If you aren't killing animals past 5-600 yards anyways, then It makes a lot of sense to reduce recoil and be able to spot shots easier.

Loper

WKR
I’ve been thinking about a left hand x-bolt micro midas 7mm-08. They have a 20 inch barrel and the stock can be swapped out for a longer LOP if desired.

OP
jpmulk

jpmulk

WKR
No opinion on left handed rifles, but I did what you are describing for the same reasons. I am extremely impressed with the 7-08 and wish I had done it sooner. I shoot the same bullet that I was in the 7RM (162 ELD) but it is more in the sweet spot of it's expansion velocity range from 0-600 yards. The 7RM was pushing them at around 2900fps and they would shatter on impact unless the shot was over 300 yards. With the 7-08 they're leaving the barrel at 2700 and have performed much better for me as far as less damage. If you aren't killing animals past 5-600 yards anyways, then It makes a lot of sense to reduce recoil and be able to spot shots easier.
What brand did you buy? Im pretty interested in the christianson arms options.

Ram94

WKR
What brand did you buy? Im pretty interested in the christianson arms options.
I actually went FROM a Christensen Ridgeline in 7RM to Tikka in 7-08 that I built up. The Christensen was a good shooter but I couldn’t get past how sloppy the action was and it was a fair bit heavier than I wanted.

OP
jpmulk

jpmulk

WKR
I actually went FROM a Christensen Ridgeline in 7RM to Tikka in 7-08 that I built up. The Christensen was a good shooter but I couldn’t get past how sloppy the action was and it was a fair bit heavier than I wanted.

OP
jpmulk

jpmulk

WKR
Tikkas are great. But they dont have much for lefties in 7-08. One option i dont really like.

SouthPaw

WKR

Thanks.
Why not just rebarrel the tikka 7mag to a 7-08. Change the bolt stop of you want it in short action.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

gbflyer

WKR
Tikka is a bit silly for not making a shorter overall receiver. I’m sure it’s a production cost issue. But that said, I have one in a short action cartridge and it works great.

You might look down the custom road, Bighorn Origin lefty receiver and a prefit. 7-08 is a great cartridge.

OP
jpmulk

jpmulk

WKR
What are your thoughts on barrel length for 7-08? 20 vs 22 inch? For shots out to 500, do you really lose much?

Ram94

WKR
Tikka is a bit silly for not making a shorter overall receiver. I’m sure it’s a production cost issue. But that said, I have one in a short action cartridge and it works great.

You might look down the custom road, Bighorn Origin lefty receiver and a prefit. 7-08 is a great cartridge.
I respectfully disagree. The Tikka action is perfect for short action cartridges seated out long with heavy for calibre bullets. Modify the bolt stop and you’re in business.

gbflyer

WKR
I respectfully disagree. The Tikka action is perfect for short action cartridges seated out long with heavy for calibre bullets. Modify the bolt stop and you’re in business.

True. However it’s a bit overkill for something based on a .223 case as an example. Of course we’re talking .308 case at present.

What’s your load that you’re getting 2700 with a 162?

I’m thoroughly annoyed that Tikka makes a 6.5 CM in LH but no 7mm-08 or 6.5 PRC. Or, my biggest wish they would is a LH .280 AI.
😠

7mm Rem Mag ballistics are great but homey don’t play with belted cases 🤮

bonepoint

FNG
My brother was looking for a lefty 7mm-08, and we were able to find a Ruger American stainless a guy was willing to part with. I just put a WTB ad on the 24hourcampfire lefty forum. I didn't realize the limitations when looking for a lefty.