7.3 gasser

crich

WKR
Those of you driving the new 7.3, how has your experience been thus far and what made you choose it over other options? These engines have been out for a little bit and I'd like to hear some updated feedback. Really considering trading my 17' 6.7 in on a new 7.3. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Just about to hit 10k on mine....ordered in Feb delivered in August. So far zero complaints. 4600 of those miles was a hunting trip to NM. I dont tow enough to justify the added expense of the 6.7. Plus I spend a lot time off road and didn't want the extra weight either. I have the Tremor package so with 4.30 gears and 35s and I get around 15mph on the highway in eco mode and about 13 around town. I didn't have a diesel before so wasn't a big difference to me. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions you may have.

WDE91

FNG
Wranglerstar a Youtuber from Oregon I enjoy bought and uploaded a video on why he went gas over diesel.
That 7.3 engine makes a ton of sense for someone that isn't making a living with their truck.

I read some internet rumors about transmission issues in earlier 10-speed builds, but it seemed that ford was working solutions to that.

I'm thinking on a 7.3 some time next year as well, really like the concept. The king ranch package is my jam, so gotta wait for the used market to load up a little bit. ;)

bsnedeker

WKR
I agonized over this forever before I ordered my truck a couple of months ago! I have a pretty decently sized RV but the 7.3 could pull it based on the tow rating, and it's significantly cheaper than the diesel. At the end of the day I decided that the exhaust brake was going to be worth the added cost as I tow in pretty mountainous terrain. I should get my truck in March/April according to Ford.

The exhaust brake on a diesel is much like the intake brake on a gasser(throttle plate).
Do folks have data on the braking effect offered by the exhaust brake on the diesel vs letting off the throttle on the 7.3 gasser?
Would be interesting data to see.

bsnedeker

WKR
The exhaust brake on a diesel is much like the intake brake on a gasser(throttle plate).
Do folks have data on the braking effect offered by the exhaust brake on the diesel vs letting off the throttle on the 7.3 gasser?
It's an interesting question on the 7.3. I know on my current truck there was very little braking affect in my experience. I was hauling a small pop-up camper (no trailer brakes) on the interstate west of Denver a couple of years ago and if you've driven that you know there is a VERY long grade over there. By the time I got to the bottom of that hill I was pushing 90 MPH and praying no one pulled in front of me as I white knuckled my way through it.

I got my 7.3 in June of 2020, it's an F250 4x4 XLT.....I've never been one for a ton of bells and whistles. I have just over 11,000 on it now mostly triple towing a camper and boat, neither are large, about 7000 lbs between the two. I'm getting a solid 15 mpg unloaded in ECO and 11-12 towing with a ton of power left over. My truck had 3:42 gears, but I've been thinking of changing them out for 3:73. Not sure it will benefit anything with the 10 speed trans....might wait till I get a larger camper. The cab has lots of room both in the front and back seats, seats are comfy on long trips, and the trans has had zero issues as of yet. The motor is built like a tank, that is the main reason I was looking at going from a diesel to a gasser.

OP
crich

crich

WKR
Just about to hit 10k on mine....ordered in Feb delivered in August. So far zero complaints. 4600 of those miles was a hunting trip to NM. I dont tow enough to justify the added expense of the 6.7. Plus I spend a lot time off road and didn't want the extra weight either. I have the Tremor package so with 4.30 gears and 35s and I get around 15mph on the highway in eco mode and about 13 around town. I didn't have a diesel before so wasn't a big difference to me. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions you may have.
I'm eyeballing the tremor but am wondering if its worth the money over shocks leveling springs and tires... what are your thoughts?
I agonized over this forever before I ordered my truck a couple of months ago! I have a pretty decently sized RV but the 7.3 could pull it based on the tow rating, and it's significantly cheaper than the diesel. At the end of the day I decided that the exhaust brake was going to be worth the added cost as I tow in pretty mountainous terrain. I should get my truck in March/April according to Ford.
Thats one big consideration that has me hesitating. I LOVE the engine brake on this thing especially tuned. I pulled 15k from SC to AK and it saved my bacon on a few hills in BC.
Idk about tangible data or evidence but theres a significant braking effect with the 6.7. You can feel the truck slow substantially loaded going downhill. There are plenty of times its slowed me too much and I had to give it throttle going downhill.

I went Tremor because it's all factory and covered by your warranty, 2" lift kit, shocks, black wheels, rear locker, front limited slip, skid plates, 33" of water fording ...Plus the extra drive modes and trail cruise is nice..I also like the 4.30 gears with the 35s. I see on the 22s Tremors you can now get 3.73 gears if you want but I don't think the throttle response would be the same with 35s...for $3975 the Tremor option was worth it to me. You can't get new tires and wheels for that. I would also recommend the factory winch. You have to add dual bats and alts to get the winch on the 7.3. It's fits perfectly and you hardly notice it's there.

Are there better lift kits out there sure but Carli pintop kits are 5k and you still have to have it installed. Then you have to get new tires.

svivian

WKR
Dang i see alot of guys getting only 15mpg with the 7.3 .... I am averaging 20-21 on the HWY with a Deleted 2013 F-350 6.7 diesel.

Dang i see alot of guys getting only 15mpg with the 7.3 .... I am averaging 20-21 on the HWY with a Deleted 2013 F-350 6.7 diesel.
FWIW...12k more for the diesel and $300 for oil changes, and def... I figured the break even point was around 11 years 6.7 vs 7.3...I will be wanting a new truck by then...

svivian

WKR
Hmm those are expensive oil changes... I pay $180 for full synthetic if I don't do it myself, even with a new fuel filter which is only every 15k they aren't that much. Also I deleted my truck so I don't put Def in. Something else to consider since you want to trade in before 10 years is Diesels typically hold their value better in my opinion.

Fatcamp

WKR
Does the long bed on the 2022's still have a 48 gallon tank? Makes me all warm inside to see, "643 miles until empty" on a gas 3/4 ton truck.

Hmm those are expensive oil changes... I pay $180 for full synthetic if I don't do it myself, even with a new fuel filter which is only every 15k they aren't that much. Also I deleted my truck so I don't put Def in. Something else to consider since you want to trade in before 10 years is Diesels typically hold their value better in my opinion.
To each his own...I couldn't find anybody to do a delete local on a new one due to EPA cracking down...

Fatcamp

WKR

Do deleted trucks hold their value? I scroll right by.

2five7

WKR
Got mine in March of this year. Ordered it exactly how I wanted it, added the 2.5" kit and tires/wheels myself. Has the 4:30 gears. We pull an 11k 5th wheel, plus a side by side behind that. No problem going as fast as I want to up the various mountain passes in Utah (Parleys/Soldier Summit, etc) Getting similar mileage as the other guys in here.

I went Gas instead of diesel for all the common reasons already stated, reliability being #1. Everyone I know that has an Obama diesel has been stranded somewhere because of various emissions related problems.

If you don't tow heavy all the time, you don't need a turbo diesel pickup, if you want one that's a different story. This isn't 1999 anymore, properly equipped 7.3 gas will out tow previous gen diesels like 6.0, earlier 5.9, and early duramax trucks. Mine is rated for 15.5k on the bumper, and 18.5k on a gooseneck or 5th wheel.

IMG_20210313_090051 (Large).jpg

svivian

WKR
Do deleted trucks hold their value? I scroll right by.
There are people in both camps for sure. Some don't want any modifications while others don't want their exhaust fed back through the engine. Also a clogged Def system runs about $8,000. To each their own but I keep the def system and the dealerships have had no problems trading them in as they can put it right back on.

Now if its a truck on a 8" lift with huge tires and a stage 5 delete that's city limit princess, then that's a hard pass by me. Those guys dont treat them well and the turbos and trannies are made for the extra power.

If its a truck that was well taken care of with just a stage 1 delete to just remove the def system then that is a bulletproof engine in my opinion and should run a very long time. The other problem with deleted trucks depends on if they do emissions testing where you live. In that case a deleted truck would not be a good option.

If you cant delete the diesel then the 7.3 makes more sense to me in the long run.

FWIW...12k more for the diesel and $300 for oil changes, and def... I figured the break even point was around 11 years 6.7 vs 7.3...I will be wanting a new truck by then...
$300 oil changes on the Ford? Dang that’s spendy. I get the oil changed on my 21 Ram 2500 at the dealership for $90. The Ford trucks do look damn good though, I nearly bought the 7.3 but it was $10k more than I got my Ram diesel for.

63143.jpeg
Dusty dirty and being used on public land NM. I went with fold down running boards in stead of the Tremor ones so the wife could get in...Bed rail is 59" from the ground. Get the built in tailgate step if you go Tremor...