7.3 gasser

I read some internet rumors about transmission issues in earlier 10-speed builds, but it seemed that ford was working solutions to that.

I'm thinking on a 7.3 some time next year as well, really like the concept. The king ranch package is my jam, so gotta wait for the used market to load up a little bit. ;)
It's the same 10sp in GMs too..yes there were 1st year issues but they have been corrected...I went in to order a Platinum but you can't get them or a KR blacked out,...so I dropped down to Lariat and loaded it up. I would like to thank FMC for saving me 20k.

If you don't tow heavy all the time, you don't need a turbo diesel pickup, if you want one that's a different story. This isn't 1999 anymore, properly equipped 7.3 gas will out tow previous gen diesels like 6.0, earlier 5.9, and early duramax trucks. Mine is rated for 15.5k on the bumper, and 18.5k on a gooseneck or 5th wheel.
That has to do with a bunch of things that aren’t the engine, namely suspension and brakes. They’ve gotten a lot better, but it’s still 2002 diesel power numbers.

2five7

WKR
That has to do with a bunch of things that aren’t the engine, namely suspension and brakes. They’ve gotten a lot better, but it’s still 2002 diesel power numbers.
I had a 7.3 Powerstroke. Stock to stock, there is no comparison. The 7.3 gas blows it away in terms of towing power.

Whose towing the biggest fifth wheel and what kind of MPG? I'm not a ford guy but if GM doesn't come around to compete these are on my radar, planning to give them another year or 2 but what you guys are saying is encouraging.

WKR
Just about to hit 10k on mine....ordered in Feb delivered in August. So far zero complaints. 4600 of those miles was a hunting trip to NM. I dont tow enough to justify the added expense of the 6.7. Plus I spend a lot time off road and didn't want the extra weight either. I have the Tremor package so with 4.30 gears and 35s and I get around 15mph on the highway in eco mode and about 13 around town. I didn't have a diesel before so wasn't a big difference to me. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions you may have.
Damn 15 and 13mpg with 35s? I can barely get 13 with my stock 6.2 gasser but its a 19' with a 6 speed. I also jumped from the 6.7 diesel to the 6.2L gasser. I had a deleted 6.7 with 35s and getting that 13-15 mpg. I do drive like I stole it, so that affects my mpg. No issues with the 6.2 with 166k and over 5500 engine hours. The 7.3 has perked my interest but I assumed it had the fuel economy of a V-10(which I still own in my hunting truck). Sounds very likely that a 7.3 will be my next work truck.

The tow company I work for stoped buying diesels a few years back for most of our trucks. We still have a couple internationals with Cummins in our big flatbeds we use for longer hauls, but the trucks we use in town are all f550 v10s. Plenty of power, cheaper regular services, and we spend the less to replace a motor once in awhile as we did trying to repair the newer diesels constantly. Our trucks are 24-7 ran hard and the gas engines have been significantly more reliable and cheaper initially, and in maintenance than the new diesels for our use. The gas mileage difference has been negligible compared to having a truck down for expensive repairs all the time and were we are diesel is more expensive than gas. If the majority of use is over the road heavy towing maybe a diesel would be better, but for all around use the gas motors generally make more sense. In my experience, I’ve towed plenty of the newer gm and dodge diesels for electrical and emission de rate issues and a lot of the dodge eco diesels for grenaded engines. The 6.7 fords are significantly fewer than the other diesels, but Still more commonly towed than comparable gas trucks. These are usually regular pickups some while towing something, but usually just empty daily driver trucks. If I had to have a diesel I’d lean towards the 6.7 ford myself, I’ve seen way less with major issues, but the 7.3 gas makes more long term sense to me.

OP
crich

crich

WKR
I went Tremor because it's all factory and covered by your warranty, 2" lift kit, shocks, black wheels, rear locker, front limited slip, skid plates, 33" of water fording ...Plus the extra drive modes and trail cruise is nice..I also like the 4.30 gears with the 35s. I see on the 22s Tremors you can now get 3.73 gears if you want but I don't think the throttle response would be the same with 35s...for $3975 the Tremor option was worth it to me. You can't get new tires and wheels for that. I would also recommend the factory winch. You have to add dual bats and alts to get the winch on the 7.3. It's fits perfectly and you hardly notice it's there.

Are there better lift kits out there sure but Carli pintop kits are 5k and you still have to have it installed. Then you have to get new tires.
Sounds pretty solid and makes sense to me. I put a carli commuter 2.5 on mine with their sway bar and to be honest it made a difference but its not astounding. But you're right after 3k in "lift" and 2k in wheels and tires you might as well have a warranty and better resale value.

gearguywb

WKR
Looked at the Tremors at length. Each engineer has its pro/cons.

One thing I am not a fan of is the range of the 7.3 when towing. 34 gallon tank, if towing on the heavier side, 9-10 mpg. Probably end up fueling about every 250 miles. Not a big issue generally, but in some situations (long trip to hinting camp when truck is going to run several days in the mountains) it may be something to consider.

FYI, the additional cost of the diesel is just over 8K, not 12 as someone posted.

10,500 for the diesel, the 7.3 is a bit over 2K option

j33

WKR
Whose towing the biggest fifth wheel and what kind of MPG? I'm not a ford guy but if GM doesn't come around to compete these are on my radar, planning to give them another year or 2 but what you guys are saying is encouraging.

I own a 6.6l gas GM, they ain’t no slouch, towing max 9000lbs bumper pull 6000ft. I’ve owned two duramax’s and this holds it own, much better than my old 6.2l gas GM 8 speed, better low end torque.
Having a 10 speed is better for sure but I can guarantee this old fashion 6 speed will outlive that Ford 10 speed, GM specifically chose to use this proven tranny to avoid any first year issues, as seen with Ford’s 10 speed. Compare the pricing on the trucks and go from there, when I bought a year ago it’s was significantly cheaper to buy a 6.6 base truck over the 7.3.

GM is always behind the power in their vehicles, 6.0l was around for almost two decades while Ram owners were rebuilding 5.7l engines and Ford owners doing cam/phasers on their 5.4l. Don’t expect GM to do anything different I would bet this 6.6l is unchanged for many years and they will add a 10 speed soon.

I own a 6.6l gas GM, they ain’t no slouch, towing max 9000lbs bumper pull 6000ft. I’ve owned two duramax’s and this holds it own, much better than my old 6.2l gas GM 8 speed, better low end torque.
Having a 10 speed is better for sure but I can guarantee this old fashion 6 speed will outlive that Ford 10 speed, GM specifically chose to use this proven tranny to avoid any first year issues, as seen with Ford’s 10 speed. Compare the pricing on the trucks and go from there, when I bought a year ago it’s was significantly cheaper to buy a 6.6 base truck over the 7.3.

GM is always behind the power in their vehicles, 6.0l was around for almost two decades while Ram owners were rebuilding 5.7l engines and Ford owners doing cam/phasers on their 5.4l. Don’t expect GM to do anything different I would bet this 6.6l is unchanged for many years and they will add a 10 speed soon.
That's interesting to hear. I'm a believer in the old 6.0 gas trucks and the old 4l80e's, I've had one forever and can't bring myself to sell it even though I replaced it with an 8.1 a few years ago. Any Idea what the gear options are on the 6.6 gas? If I'm reading it right GM dropped the 4.10 options? What kind of MPG towing a TT with the 6.6? I'm used to dismal and if its got power the MPG isn't as much of a factor for me.

I gave up on diesels a few years back due to expensive repairs. I moved to the V10s and have been happy with them. Fords new 7.3/10speed was enough for me to sell my mint low km V10 and order a fancy new 7.3. I dont have many miles on it yet and havent done any tow/hauling yet. The truck certainly feels good so far. I speced the 430 cogs and the rig seems to have great low end torque not dropping many gears on our mountainous BC highways. I get 16mpg at 64mph on the highway. I think this unit will haul my 4000lb bigfoot camper while towing a 3500lb trailer/utv just fine.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
I love my current truck (Nissan Titan XD gasser). I'll never own another modern diesel ever again after the Obama emissions crap killed them. Super hard to delete and getting more difficult by the month. I have a friend who got the new 7.3 Tremor and he loves it. Honestly, this is the most likely truck I would get if I were truck shopping - Ford 7.3 Tremor

OP
crich

crich

WKR
One thing I am not a fan of is the range of the 7.3 when towing. 34 gallon tank, if towing on the heavier side, 9-10 mpg. Probably end up fueling about every 250 miles.
Tell me about it! My 6.7 has only a 25 gallon tank. HUGE pita when towing a box trailer with a heavy load. Ive considered the titan and S&B tanks but havent pulled the trigger until i figure out if Im going to get a new rig or not.

j33

WKR
That's interesting to hear. I'm a believer in the old 6.0 gas trucks and the old 4l80e's, I've had one forever and can't bring myself to sell it even though I replaced it with an 8.1 a few years ago. Any Idea what the gear options are on the 6.6 gas? If I'm reading it right GM dropped the 4.10 options? What kind of MPG towing a TT with the 6.6? I'm used to dismal and if its got power the MPG isn't as much of a factor for me.

Yeah I think you’re right about no 4.10 option, Ram and Ford got it figured out there.

My 6.6l gas gets around 8.5-9.0 MPG while my 2010 LMM Dmax deleted got 10-10.5 MPG pulling the same 9000lb travel trailer. This is flatter terrain, some foothills. I’ve owned two Duramax trucks and was never impressed with their pulling fuel mileage, seems like most owners exaggerate their numbers.

Both 7.3 and 6.6l gas will prove reliable I’m sure, just think Ram has their 6.4 figured out yet have heard of guys with tranny issues and the infamous hemi tick.

Fatcamp

WKR
Tell me about it! My 6.7 has only a 25 gallon tank. HUGE pita when towing a box trailer with a heavy load. Ive considered the titan and S&B tanks but havent pulled the trigger until i figure out if Im going to get a new rig or not.

25 gallon tank=extra tank in bed

You guys make me glad I have a 2006 Dodge 5.9 with only 150k on it. No need for a new tow truck for quite a while.