7.62x39 AR15 Deer Hunt Successes - BCA

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
I have been meaning to post these success stories from this years deer hunts so here we go!

I have a Bear Creek Arsenal (BCA) 7.62x39 AR15 16" that I worked up a hand load for consiting of the following:
* Fiocci Brass
* CFE BLK Powder
* Hornady 123 SST
* 2536 FPS avg velocity

I have several BCA AR15's and have given me zero issues. I have PSA, Windham, and BCA and am happy with them all. I use the BCAs the most.

Load consistenly shot sub 0.75 MOA leading up to deer season so I felt comfortable letting my son use it this year after much practice, he is 6.
1st sample was a 2.5 year old Oklahoma buck at approx 180 yards. My son was laying prone with a bipod and rear rest. Once broadside he squeeze off the trigger and the buck donkey kicked and ran approx 60 yards to the field edge out of sight. We recovered him right on the field edge and he made a great behind the should shot. The SST expanded and had a complete pass thru. Very proud dad moment.

The 2nd would be another Oklahoma buck. Last weekend of rifle season and one of my target bucks came crusing thru the woods and once I saw him, I knew exactly what deer he was. He made it to an opening in the woods and the shot was approx. 30 yards. He ran 20 yards and fell over. SST connected to the buck's lower portion of the heart. SST expanded wonderfully and left a half dollar hole. A nice 4.5 year old 140s deer.

Anyone on the fence considering hunting with a 7.62x39, maybe this will help. Here is the mature buck I harvested along with a blood trail recovery video. Enjoy!!

1650544826205.jpeg

Link:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
That 123 SST over CFE BLK is a deadly combo for the 7.62x39. I used it for several years on farm deer and my buddy took his best buck with that rifle and load. Like the old 30-30, that round just drops them much quicker than you'd expect.

There are some 7.62x39 loads I would not recommend for deer, but the one above is a solid performer out to 200 yards.

Squints08

Lil-Rokslider
Sweet! My BCA upper in 300 blackout runs like a champ and killed 2 deer this year for me. My BCA 350 legend not upper so much. I understand the case differences etc. so for what I invested in it I simply moved on. Nice deer!

FLATHEAD

WKR
I like the 7.62x39 enough to have 2 in AR configuration.
I like the cartridge better than the AR platform.
My next one will be in a bolt gun.

Rich M

WKR
Its a good round if you hit em right. Nice choice for your son!

I really like the 350 Legend due to the bullet weight. Not sure why fellow poster doesnt like it. I see mine as at least a 250 yard gun. It prints 1 to 1.5 inch with 165 gr ftx handloads.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
7.62x39, 6.8spc, 6.5 Grendel…

I personally think they’re all perfect for deer sub 250ish yards. The AR is such a great hunting rifle. Comfortable to shoot, accurate, compact and easy at the ready.

Great buck!

OP
jadkins223

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
7.62x39, 6.8spc, 6.5 Grendel…

I personally think they’re all perfect for deer sub 250ish yards. The AR is such a great hunting rifle. Comfortable to shoot, accurate, compact and easy at the ready.

Great buck!

I would agree sir. I’m also trying something else this year. I’ve got a 20” BCA 223 wylde that I have loaded up with some 77 TMK going 2830 fps. They should absolutely hammer critters and maybe deer within 100. Probably just doe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squints08

Lil-Rokslider
I like the 350 legend caliber but my 350 BCA upper doesn’t like to feed/cycle. I decided to not monkey with mags, polishing etc. because I have other more pressing projects at the moment.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I like the 350 legend caliber but my 350 BCA upper doesn’t like to feed/cycle. I decided to not monkey with mags, polishing etc. because I have other more pressing projects at the moment.
My 350 legend build won’t feed either. Work in progress.

OMB

WKR
My 350 legend build won’t feed either. Work in progress.
I've looked at BCA uppers for a couple of years to do a 350 Legend set up on one of my AR lowers but I've seen way too many horrific reviews to actually buy one. With everything else basically double the price, and having 3-5 other guns that work flawlessly for use in straight wall/shotgun only states, I just can't justify it.

Glad to see it's worked for others, I'm just not willing to roll the dice even for the price.

Rich M

WKR
Gotcha. I have a ruger bolt rifle. Never made the transition to an AR platform.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Certainly not an AR but I had one in a Baikal IZH-18, I made more than the rifle cost proving guys at the range wrong when they said a factory 7.62x39 rifle couldn't shoot. The trigger was truly terrible and 90% of why I no longer have it. The PRVI 123 grain load it favored gave acceptable performance but not spectacular on a handful of average black bears and deer. I didn't find it the equal of the .30-30 as so often is touted, penetration was certainly lesser on quartering shots but ammo choice may bring things closer. It was effective and low recoil and had it been easier to find its favorite ammo and improve its trigger I'd have it still...probably.