7.62x51 AR10 build

Goodchad

FNG
Hi everyone,
I have decided to build my first rifle and don't know exactly where to start or what to look for. My intent is to have an AR10 platform for long range shooting at the range (not competition) and maybe some gopher hunting at a long stand off (I know the caliber is a bit much for gophers but I hate the little bastards).

Anyway, what should I be looking for in the different components to build a nice, accurate AR10?

11boo

WKR
You have a lot of homework to do, these large frame ARs do not share the commonality of parts like an AR15. Arfcom has a lot of info on the subject.

My AR 10s are factory built, so I can’t help much. PSA has deals on their versions for builders. Most guys would use a .223 for prairie dogs, but you know what you want.

bobinmi

WKR
As someone who has built (assembled) several AR15s and AR10s. With an AR15 everthing is pretty much plug and play as long as you are buying commercial spec or mil spec. With the AR10s, I try to buy as much of the build from one manufacturer as I can. I have had good luck with aero precision. Typically everything but the stock, grip, trigger, barrel and the attachments can be built through the one manufacturer. Just as an example there are 3 different receiver configurations for AR10s. Armalite and DPMS high and low profile. It seems that the high profile DPMS is becoming the industry standard but its something you need to confirm before buying each part. As far as the technical stuff is concerned, I like an 18-20 inch barrel for 308s and a 22-24 for 6.5 creedmoor. I've never built one in any other calibers. I also recommend just biting the bullet and buying something like the "real avid armorers master kit" there will be tools in there that you never use, but all of the tools that you need to build an AR besides vice are included in that kit and its real frustrating to start a build and then have to wait for the right tools to come in. I can also tell you that with the large frame AR's there doesn't seem to be the cost savings that are associated with the AR15. With a 15 I can build a high end AR for mid level prices. With the AR10, its fun to build them and I can have exactly what I want, but I'm not actually saving any money.

deadwolf

WKR
You could buy mine and start shooting gophers asap!

FS: New Seekins Precision SP10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arawls88

FNG
Classified Approved
A88CF56B-A424-4DAB-99B2-F11938AAC518.jpegCheck out aero precision builder sets, ballistic advantage makes decent barrels, I prefer magpul stocks and Larue MBT is a decent trigger for the money. The rest is whatever you prefer

I just sent my most recent ar10 build to cerakote. As mentioned above, pay close attn to what pattern rifle you are building. When building my ar15s, the only hiccup I've run in to commonly is handguard interference with billet uppers. That is just a portion of what can interfere if you buy incorrect parts for ar10. Overall if you just watch what you buy, it's easy. I threw together a juggernaut upper and lower receiver set, cryptic bcg, proof 18" barrel, and misc pieces and parts. As I mentioned , handguard interference happens, especially with billet upper receivers. I had to do mill work to make strike Industries gridlok lite handguards fit ar15 or ar10 uppers. Have had no problems otherwise. Best of luck!