7 MM - 08 To 280 AI

Hello,
I'm new on here. I was looking at a Ruger American in 7mm-08 and 30-06. I was thinking about a rebarrel 24-26 inch. Also higher end trigger. I am interested in a 280 AI. I am posting today to get an opinion. I have a limited budget. I would like to get a higher quality rifle as an end result. Would I be better off buying a $1300 gun? Or buy an ok action and do some work?
I would like a 280 AI with an 7.5-8 twist. 450 yards or less for elk and under. I currently shoot a 300 win mag but the recoil has been wearing on me. I also hand load for 7 other cartridges. I would shoot around 150-160 gr bullet.

Squincher

WKR
Hello,
I'm new on here. I was looking at a Ruger American in 7mm-08 and 30-06. I was thinking about a rebarrel 24-26 inch. Also higher end trigger. I am interested in a 280 AI. I am posting today to get an opinion. I have a limited budget. I would like to get a higher quality rifle as an end result. Would I be better off buying a $1300 gun? Or buy an ok action and do some work?
I would like a 280 AI with an 7.5-8 twist. 450 yards or less for elk and under. I currently shoot a 300 win mag but the recoil has been wearing on me. I also hand load for 7 other cartridges. I would shoot around 150-160 gr bullet.

Then you probably can't afford to take the long way around to what you want. It will be cheaper in the long run to bite the bullet and buy what you want out of the gate.

Mt Al

WKR
No wrong answer, but I had similar thoughts and did what the first two posters did, got a Tikka in 7mm-08. Plenty of punch for just what you listed, elk and others under 450. I had a 300 WM also and just didn't practice as much due to recoil. 7mm-08 is a pussy cat and if you're not infected by UltraMegaMagSuprWickedRage-itis, you'll be very happy. Then you can blow the rest of your budget on an awesome scope.

OP
WYhuntshoot
I grew up shooting a 7mm08. Very familiar. I’ve more than one friend with excellent luck with rebarrels. Pretty set on a 280 AI. Maybe a light Palma or light varmint. Tough to find much for 280 ai factory in stock. That isn’t a savage or kimber. Anyone have any opinions on a rebarrel?

The Savage or Kimber would be higher on my list than a Ruger project. I would probably buy a used Tikka and get a prefit barrel of your choice.

That said I have 2 280ai rifles now and I often think I should have just went with a Tikka in 7-08 and changed it to a long action and loaded some long heavier bullets.

In the end it’s all over a couple hundred FPS or less.

Afhunter1

WKR
I vote 7mm-08 with a 120 Nosler BT. You will slay any elk inside 500 all day.

If you want to up your horse power buy a 30-06 and use that. 280ai is a great caliber but I wouldn’t buy one if you already have a 7mm-08

Tmac

WKR
Savage makes a stainless 280AI for about $850. 110 Storm. I’d also check Kimber, Bergera, et.al. By the time you rebarrel and chamber the Ruger, you are right there in $. If you could find a Tikka action and a prefit barrel in 280AI, that would be a good option too.

But for elk to 450, you don’t need the AI. A 7-08Rem or 308Win or 270Win or 30-06 would be the easy buttons IMO.

BuzzH

WKR
I grew up shooting a 7mm08. Very familiar. I’ve more than one friend with excellent luck with rebarrels. Pretty set on a 280 AI. Maybe a light Palma or light varmint. Tough to find much for 280 ai factory in stock. That isn’t a savage or kimber. Anyone have any opinions on a rebarrel?
Pacnor...I've had 3 installed on Remington 700 actions and one on a tang safety Ruger m77.

Friends have had numerous as well on 700's and Winchester model 70's.

All shoot sub moa...with multiple loads.

OP
WYhuntshoot
Anyone have experience with the Browning Max long range rifles? I’ve seen some in 280 AI. I have an x bolt hell canyon 6.5 PRC and had to change the trigger spring.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
My favorite cartridge is 7mm-08 and in my opinion it 's a good option for all north american large game (outside of great bears) within 400-500 yards.
As most have said, I'd go with a higher end rifle from the start as to build off any given action the amount will add up quickly.

Marble

WKR
I would put a brake on the 300 wm. Take the brake off when you hunt if you want to. Cheapest solution. Every brake I've ever gotten comes with a cap you can screw on.

I have a 280 AI and several 7-08 rifles, including one in AI. They are sort of close in ballistics but the 280AI is quite the performer.

The other cartridge you should not rule out is the 6.5PRC. Very similar to the 280AI.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR

I know next to nothing about rebarrel or rechambering, but if you're set on the 280AI - go for it, awesome round and you'll be more confident every time you use it. Something to be said, no matter the cost, of the whole rifle/chambering/round package being "yours" vs. off the shelf and taking the easy route (tikka 7m-08).

What shall be required of thee is thus: if you can, please share the journey of what rifle you found, what barrel, etc.. Selfishly, I love reading those stories on rokslide.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sportsmans in Boise has a Montana Rifle's 280AI that is preowned in stock for $1099

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
There's a bunch of the XBolt models that come in 280AI with an 8 twist barrel. Problem solved at that point.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

boonez40

Lil-Rokslider
If I was you and you are already set up for reloading the 300 Win Mag, I would but some money into that rifle with a Mercury filled recoil tamer that you can have epoxied into the stock. They are around $60.00, then add a Pacmire de-axcerleration pad. Then add a nice muzzle brake, you may see an increase in accuracy.

I had a Weatherby Varmiter in a rare 7mm-08 that went from 1/2 to 1/4 moa after installing a break.

If you just have to have a new rifle, then I would actually go with a Savage with the Acu trigger, wife has one in 7mm/08.

If I was going for something, it would be another 284 win with a 28 or 30 inch barrel.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk