7 points Colorado

Codangles

FNG
I have 7 resident points for mule deer in Colorado. I feel like I’m stuck between a 4 point unit and a 10 point unit that’s subject to point creep. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
There should be plenty of good units you can draw for 7 points as a resident. Pick one and go! Don’t feel like you have to pick one that takes exactly 7 points.

Saving points is ok,but i would rather hunt more. Personally saw 2 180 class bucks at a taxidermy shop this winter from a zero point area.

OP
C

Codangles

FNG
I hunt a 0 point 2nd choice unit every year so I’m not giving up hunting to save points. A friend of mine got a 170 buck in the same unit a couple years ago. There are big ones everywhere, not discounting that. Just not sure if I should keep saving points or cash them in.

Wapiti1

WKR
Just my thought. If you can go on good hunts and build the points, build the points. But do it with a unit in mind, IMO.

If there isn't a specific hunt you are after, then I'd say use them on a decent season tag and build them again so you can get into better seasons. Hunt 0 point tags until you have 2-3 points and then hunt early rifle, 3rd or 4th season, then go back to 0 for a couple of years.

Jeremy

I would be using those points this year because the season dates are prime. I know exactly where I would be using them too. If only I had two more points!

Sharptail

FNG
That's a tough one. It depends on how old you are and the type of hunt you are after. I agree that great bucks are in every unit, but the effort and homework required to find them vary with the unit.

I finally drew a Unit 21 deer tag last year and saw 40 bucks a day, but never saw the buck that met all the criteria. I didn't fill that tag but consider that hunt one of the best that I ever experienced.

WKR
Burn baby burn. If you don't have a high point tag in mind, I'd hunt an early rifle season up high for something different.