7 points to use in Wyoming and looking for the earliest rfile hunt I can manage

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have 7 NR Pref Points to use and I am hoping to finally get a decent muley. I am thinking I will go out sometime this summer and scout a couple of days if I can and am curious as to thoughts of a decent unit and an early rifle hunt.

Thought about unit W but I did not find any hunt before Oct 15 in the area I would want to go. Couple of buddies elk hunting near the Bighorn Mtns and they told me deer hunters were all over the place-not sure of the deer unit but they stated was way too crowded. Of course getting off the roads will help.

What I would like to do is find a decent area where 7 points would get me a decent place without massive crowds and where I could hunt Oct 1 or earlier. Not looking for a trophy muley just a decent deer. I saw a load of deer near Rock Springs on my antelope hunt but all were small. I assume the better deer were up higher or hidden in the draws but I was focused on antelope so I did not look beyond the places I was goat hunting

Any suggestions would be appreciated and I am NOT looking for anyone to broadcast turn by turn directions to their hot spot -not that you would anyway:)

Thanks

I thought WY had an early rifle hunt in some areas but when I looked at the regs I did not see one. You could maybe draw 34, 37, 60, 116, 120 or 84. If you did the special draw you may be able to add a couple units to that list. I don't think you want to burn 7 points on region W.

Not sure how many points it takes but 141,162 runs from Oct 1-31 and has some big deer and a wide variety of terrain. Burning that many points on a general region with marginal deer hunting seams like a waste to me. Pretty sure most are 0-1 point draws besides g and h. 128 could be a fun hunt. Again not sure on points

I wouldn't burn my points on a general area. (If I had points). The problem is people in general areas. It's good to get off the roads but your still going to see people. The deer down by rock springs are hurting still from a couple years ago. They are getting better. I guess the question rises, what size buck is decent. Do you care only about quality or quantity?

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would love to hunt muleys during the rut but I am looking to be back in my home state by mid October. I definitely do not want to burn these PPs on a crappy area and as far as size buck-a 4x4 with say 24-26 spread-not sure about scoring but maybe 140-150 class?

I would love to see a large number deer but honestly I would be happy seeing different types of game and a chance at a good 4 by or similar deer. I actually have a couple of places where I feel good about hunting elk and antelope but mule deer have been more of a mystery for me. If I do not get a chance to scout this summer I'll have to go on faith and do as much research from home as possible.

I have been a couple of times before and I passed on bucks that had 22-23 inch spreads and actually missed one that was likely 26 inches with good mass-whiffed the shot badly. I hunted near Evanston and saw plenty of deer but when the weekend hit it was a madhouse and too many crazy a$$ road hunters.

I get nervous thinking about going to a new area but I guess you never know until you try-but as others have said I do not want to blow 7 pref points. I think there is still a way to chose a very low odds area as first choice then if you miss that but get your second choice you do not use your points-is that right?