7 PRC with lighter bullets?

Flyjunky

WKR
No point in practicing with a rifle with a “reduced recoil” “practice load” that doesn’t have any of the same ballistics as your hunting load

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d agree as you get closer to season but there is benefit to practicing with a reduced load. He can work on fundamentals of body position, trigger pull, etc.

If it had no merit then why do many recommend a lighter recoiling “trainer” rifle?

Gila

WKR
The ballistic performance of the newer VLD bullets in 7mm (.284) caliber is amazing. Ron Spomer did a BC comparison bewteen a .308 win, 6.5 Creed and .284 Winchester. The .284 blew the others away at longer ranges. Ron is not a long range hunting guy though and neither am I….just our choice is all. I guess what I am trying to say is that the 7mm caliber is a wise choice no matter which cartridge you choose. I don’t shoot enough to practice with anything other than the loads I am going to hunt with.

Having said that I still think the 145 gr. Barnes LRX could be a good performer on Pronghorn in the 7 PRC. I am going to experiment with the 139 LRX since the free bore in my .284 Win chamber is less than that of the 7 PRC. I am not recoil sensitive at all and I am a big dude at that. But if you are recoil sensitive, I would just get a brake to practice with and then cap the barrel when hunting. If you shoot a big bull, I seriously doubt you will notice the recoil.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
The twist may not be an issue but you may or may not run into accuracy issues due to long bullet jump with light bullets. Some guns dont have a problem with it others do. A normal 7rm is more versatile in this respect but dont know until you try. Nothing wrong with using non super bc bullets or even lighter bullets if you handload. The 7mms are wonderfully flexible cartridges and people are so blind by BC and ballistic charts and some theoretical what if shot they are missing out on some of the fun of handloading

Will add that trigger time is valuable and practice with the weapon you are hunting in field positions is valuable no matter if using same hunting load or not

Lou

Last edited:
160 range is as light as I'd go with the 7 PRC. Like other have said, you're using the "wrong caliber" if you want bullets in the 140 range. Drop down to the 7mm-08 for lighter bullets

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be working up some hammer hunter loads for the 7mm PRC b/c I want to shoot copper monos for hunting. This caliber is literally optimized for the 180gr ELDM but I expect a copper in the 145-160gr range would be a great option for 7mm PRC.

You will have to figure this out on your own because there is not data available yet. Hornady has a 160gr CX loading that you can use to get an idea of speeds you may achieve. As they say... start low and work up.

You will have to figure this out on your own because there is not data available yet. Hornady has a 160gr CX loading that you can use to get an idea of speeds you may achieve. As they say... start low and work up.

I plan to stock up on the 160CX bullets and load them myself. It'll be interesting to see how true to advertised BC they are. Hornady I wanna say they had loads up in the 3100 fps range, which would cover my "wants" out to 700 yards

amassi

WKR
I plan to stock up on the 160CX bullets and load them myself. It'll be interesting to see how true to advertised BC they are. Hornady I wanna say they had loads up in the 3100 fps range, which would cover my "wants" out to 700 yards

If they stay true to gmx bc you can expect them to be about 95% of advertised

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk