7 SAUM Bullet Help

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
Started the journey towards a custom rifle quite some time ago.
Now parts and pieces are finally raked into a pile, and the gunsmith tells me that it will be my turn "soon",.
It would be an understatement to say that I am excited to make my dream a reality.

Unfortunately, at the time of putting this rifle concept into motion, I did not factor in that reloading components would be so incredibly hard to come by.

It looks like the bullet that I intended to build this rifle around is not now, and seemingly will not be available at any close date.
So I have spent considerable time scouring around looking for an acceptable alternative choice.
My discovery....... .284/7mm bullets, in any style and weight are pretty rare to find.

I will not bore you with all of the rifle specs, just the ones pertinent to this discussion.
This is probably a OIL, cry once (actually more than a few times), be happy forever type of build.
I (really) do not want to be less than elated with the outcome, and shooting performance is paramount to that end.
7 SAUM
Defiant Med Length action
24" 1-8 barrel
ADG Brass
Primary use: Everyday carry Hunting. Primarily med/large size game deer, elk, etc
Secondary use: Long range target
Range: Currently limit my personal hunting maximum range (with the current gun(s) I use) to approx 550yds.
But .....
Part of my original goal on this build, was to create a dual purpose tool.
Lightweight hunting rifle + Long Range capable rifle
I want to learn to "shoot" at greater distances, and I have a goal of attending a long range school to become properly educated on the subject.

Side note for clarity:
This is a personal choice, and not meant to inflame anyone
I am not really interested in taking game at longer distances, regardless of the capabilities of the rifle/bullet that I am using.
It will be carried way more than it will be shot.
I do not intend to hunt at long range with this setup, but I do want to spend considerable time behind it shooting targets at longer ranges.

My #1 criteria is terminal performance on game. #2 Repeatable Accuracy at extended ranges
Can I have both?
Can I have both in a bullet that is available in this crazy market?

Based upon my own experience and research, I have several bias' towards some bullet brand names both pro and con , but I will not name them. I want to hear what you WKR's have to say.

Can anyone recommend a quality bullet that meets my needs and is actually available for sale in sufficient quantities to base a repeatable load?

Quality opinions welcomed.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My short answer is, understand how different types of bullets are meant to perform, what their strengths/weaknesses are, and how that applies to give YOU confidence for what, where, and how you hunt.

If you don't know the answers to those questions, be open to trying things. In this current market of availability, get what you can to experiment with.

I have shot a half-dozen different bullets in my 7 SAUM. I plan to shoot 160 Accubonds this fall.

Redside

Lil-Rokslider
I'm on the 7SAUM train as well. Hoping to have my rifle in the next week or two. I'm planning to use a Hammer Hunter 155gr copper bullet. While more expensive they are known to be very accurate, but the BC's not as great as lead. The biggest difference is they are usually if not always in stock.

There are a couple other copper manufacturers that people like as well.

Another option would be to talk to a company like Unknownmunitions and buy from them.

fatbacks

WKR
They’re expensive but hammer bullets always seem to be in stock. I don’t have much experience with them but people that use them sure seem to like them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ID_Matt

WKR
Actually available for sale in sufficient quantities isn't really a term that can be used for any bullet that I can think of. Tough time to be starting fresh. I am a berger fan so I would recommend the 175 EH or 180 hybrid. I haven't seen them in months though.

Djacker

WKR
I currently shoot a berger 180 hybrid and have a few hundred left. if I can't find more, I'm switching to Hammer Hunters. Both shoot great out of my gun. All of my shots with the bergers have been bang flops from 50 yards to the farthest at 986. Like said above the Hammers are usually in stock.

Hoghead

WKR
I have been shooting 151gr PVA Cayuga bullets for a while now out of my 7 max.
Good BC every animal I have hit didn't go anywhere. Shot this group today at 400.
I just got 500 of these. My buddy and I bought 300 to start with we have never had a problem getting bullets. Maker bullets are normally available too but the bc isn't as good as these are.
02f31909a1286fd2f7cf5e9d889428ca.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

OP
NE Herd Bull

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
I have been shooting 151gr PVA Cayuga bullets for a while now out of my 7 max.
Good BC every animal I have hit didn't go anywhere. Shot this group today at 400.
I just got 500 of these. My buddy and I bought 300 to start with we have never had a problem getting bullets. Maker bullets are normally available too but the bc isn't as good as these are.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
My research had not uncovered the Cayuga bullets Hoghead
Thank you! I am going to have to look close at those.

Great info guys keep the idea coming
It is interesting to note that (with the exception of the PVA Cayuga) these are the same bullets my research and experience has been steering me toward.

SouthPaw

WKR
The beauty of the 7saum is its efficiency, and with the proper barrel twist it can shoot the long heavy bullets in their happy speed window (terminally) from muzzle to very far. It makes bullet selection for hunting more flexible IMO. I think you can achieve both of your goals, although the desire for extensive long range target practice would personally steer me away from expensive monos (given you can source the alternatives).

Harvey_NW

WKR
I'm loading 162 eld-m in my 280ai and although I haven't shot an animal with it yet, they have been extremely easy to load for and they pop in stock pretty often if you keep an eye out. There's a thread on here about terminal performance that gave me confidence, especially if you're not running them at high MV. The 160 accubonds were pretty easy to dial on another 7mm I had and terminal performance was as expected, but they might be scarce in current times. The other one I may try in the 280 is the 140gr Berger VLD. Link to them in stock from a reputable company - https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!l=BG&i=28503

deadwolf

WKR
My research had not uncovered the Cayuga bullets Hoghead
Thank you! I am going to have to look close at those.

Great info guys keep the idea coming
It is interesting to note that (with the exception of the PVA Cayuga) these are the same bullets my research and experience has been steering me toward.

I haven’t bought a PVA bullet that weighed what was advertised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rootacres

WKR
The 7 SAUM is a great caliber. I too have chosen to use it as my caliber of choice for big game in the lower 48. In these times I have turned to Hammers. I’m on a SAMMI spec chamber and short action so my COALs are limited. I shot 143gr hammers loaded at 2.855” with H4350 behind them. Took a coues at 425yds in December. Debating taking the same load for elk in NM this fall. They are extremely accurate. Load development was simple. Terminal performance on coues probably isn’t the greatest measuring stick but they did hit behind the crosshairs at that distance, I got two holes and the track job was a few feet.

Bullets are out there. Obviously the 180’s/175’s have been very hard to get but I’ve picked up a few hundred 162 eldx off here. I also got a few hundred 162 eldm from one of the online retailers a couple weeks ago. I haven’t shot my 7saum yet but the 162 eldx are hammering out of two 7mags. They have done a number on a couple deer and elk.

I’ve read the 168 Berger has been really good for guys in the 7saum.

tdot

WKR
I hunt with Hammer's for their consistent and exceptional terminal performance on game. Their consistent supply is a nice bonus in this current market.

I started with Hammer bullets that were in the more traditional weight class for each cartridge I was shooting, I've now dropped to lower weight classes and their terminal results have only gotten better. I've dropped to a 120grain in my 7saum and have been exceedingly happy with it. I'll be using on Black bear in a couple weeks and then on Elk this fall. I've dropped to the 100grain in my 7-08 and depending on how it performs on black bear, I'll consider using it in the 7saum.

For target shooting and long distance shooting, I use Berger or Hornady long distance bullets if I can't find Berger.

I don't mind shooting 2 different bullets, the differences between them is usually only a few inches different for drop or wind drift out to 400-500 yards. Beyond 600+ the differences can become quite significant, but my personal limit is 500 so it doesn't usually affect me.

OP
NE Herd Bull

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
165 grain TGK.
^^^^^^^^This was absolutely on my short list, but harder to find than a piebald unicorn.

Thanks all for your input.
It looks like I will have to do testing on a broader spectrum of bullets than originally intended.
Bullets ordered: Hammer Hunters, Berger VLD Hunter, ELD-X, PVA Cayuga
Bullets I wish I could order: Accubond Long Range, Sierra TGK

Now I am on a quest to find a good quantity of powder that works with these bullets....which of course looks just as impossible

The best 550 and in bullet is likely not the best long range target bullet but it could likely be used that way.

Everyone's idea of learning to shoot at long distance and having a rifle for long range targets is different. A hunting weight magnum wouldn't be my first choice for a rifle used much at the range unless you look at barrels as consumables. The one long range course I've attended entailed 200+ rounds in 2 days. That would be pretty hard on a lighter contour SAUM barrel.