7 saum help

gabenzeke

WKR
I'm having a Remington 700 redone and chambered in 7 saum. I was able to score a hundred pieces of brass, but now I need help with powder and primers. I plan to shoot either the 145 cutting edge lazers or the 168 bergers for now. Given powder and primers seem to be impossible to find, what are the one or two powders and primers you'd have an eye on for this rifle? I'm new to reloading and the one time I came across federal 210 primers, by the time I figured out those would work, they were gone. I'd like to have just a couple I'm looking for to get me started. Really would like to have a load worked up for this coming season.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Where are you located? Any large rifle or magnum large rifle you would probably be able to make work.
Central Iowa. So large rifle benchrest primers are ok? I see Brownells has some of those right now

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Man if you were closer I'd be able to spare a few but yes you should be able to make large rifle bench rest primers work
Ugh....this is going to make me lose what remains of my hair. So am I going to see subpar results? I don't want to buy a thousand primers if they aren't quite right. I'd rather wait. Even if it means I have to resort to bow hunting this fall

Chad E

WKR
I think you'll be fine. I'm just saying with a 7 saum you could use either large rifle or magnum large rifle. Depending on powder used one type(or brand) might produce better results. My experience is primers are a much smaller piece of the puzzle than powder so in your shoes id grab em.

Levi8599

Lil-Rokslider
Large rifle were better for me over magnum primers. Groups settled in better with just LR. I use N560 or H1000.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Look at it this way, you won't lose money if you decide the LR primers don't work. You can sell them in a split second

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yep they're spendy but at least they're available and definitely something you could sell if they dont work out. Id order a brick if i was you

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Look at it this way, you won't lose money if you decide the LR primers don't work. You can sell them in a split second

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That's true. Judging by what I see on GunBroker I could use a few dozen and sell what's left for a small fortune.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Alright, large rifle br primers ordered. Now to decide on and locate some flippin' powder.

That's true. Judging by what I see on GunBroker I could use a few dozen and sell what's left for a small fortune.

Keep in mind that to ship them legally yourself for a sale you will need to be hazmat certified. I havent done it but i dont think its hard to do from what i understand

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Keep in mind that to ship them legally yourself for a sale you will need to be hazmat certified. I havent done it but i dont think its hard to do from what i understand
Thanks for the heads up. I'm mostly being facetious. If they don't work, they'll probably just sit in my basement until I find another use for them or find a local buyer.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
H4350 has been popping up fairly often on powder valley, brownells, and midway. If you're local I'd sell you a few lbs of it.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve always used mag primers in mine. I don’t know that I would use LR primers. I like R26 and IMR7828SSC for the 160 grainers. H/IMR4350 would be good for the 140s.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
H4350 has been popping up fairly often on powder valley, brownells, and midway. If you're local I'd sell you a few lbs of it.
I'm in central Iowa, willing to drive a couple hours

I'm in central Iowa, willing to drive a couple hours

The powder that has given me the best accuracy has been H4831 (SC or reg) with 162 eldM.

H1000 was fast but hit pressure quickly. RL23 was a bit faster and had potential. I just found some RL26 but haven't tried it. Will test it on 175 eol and 180 eldM to see

Last edited:
I would look in the H4350/RL16 through H4831/RL23/RL26 burn rate powders for your application.

Others besides what I listed above include IMR 4451 and 4955, reloader 17, VV n160 and N560.

I wouldn't want anything slower burning than RL26 (Ex: H1000 or N565) based on the bullets you're intending to use.

My 2 SAUMs and 300 WSM get loaded with LR primers (210M).