7 SAUM or 280 AI

jmo

FNG
I know they are basically ballistic twins, but I'm wrestling over which one I should go with on a new build. Convince me why I should go with one over the other, or just flip a coin.

This will be a mountain rifle that I use for hunting sheep/goat/black bear. I am looking to stay lightweight and compact. This is important because I intend to keep the barrel as short as 20". I'm tired of fighting with alders.

The 7 SAUM seems to have a reputation for not giving up too much velocity out of short barrels, and is easy to hand load for.

The 280 AI holds more in the magazine, has a lot more factory options, and it's easier to find brass for.

Any other pros/cons I should take into consideration?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

You've already said it - 2 peas in a pod. To get the full potential of the SAUM you'll want the same action length as the 280. 280ai will have easier to find factory ammo or brass. SAUM will probably play a little better with a shorter barrel, but if we're me I'd still go 22" even with it. Have fun and enjoy the process!

Reactions: jmo
OP
J

jmo

FNG
What action/length are you looking at, and will you be limited by magazine length?
Probably a Model 70 long action. I'm considering a Model 70 short action too for the SAUM, and should be able to get a COAL of 3.100" by removing the back spacer in the mag box (this might also require some tooling). I've heard of some handloads seating the bullet out as far as 3.300" though so not sure I want to go that route.

Is 3.100" COAL enough to get the full potential out of the 7 SAUM? I'd like to be shooting 175/180 grain bullets.

Probably a Model 70 long action. I'm considering a Model 70 short action too for the SAUM, and should be able to get a COAL of 3.100" by removing the back spacer in the mag box (this might also require some tooling). I've heard of some handloads seating the bullet out as far as 3.300" though so not sure I want to go that route.

Is 3.100" COAL enough to get the full potential out of the 7 SAUM? I'd like to be shooting 175/180 grain bullets.

3.1 is plenty but make sure your barrel is throated for them. SAAMI free bore will limit you. If you have any aspirations whatsoever of a barrel under 22”, 7 SAUM is 110% your huckleberry. You’ll enjoy that shorter length every time you pick it up and likely will never miss that extra round in the mag.

I built a .280 AI (Bighorn/Proof) and I love it but I’m in the process of building a 20” 7 SAUM on a Tikka. Several guys on the site are in the same boat. Quickload has 180 ELD-M’s going 2800+ but that bullet needs upwards of 0.225 free bore. Maybe closer to 0.250.

You’ll want Peterson brass in the 280 AI or ADG in the 7 SAUM. Both are rarer than hens teeth right now so don’t let that decide for you. Pound the waitlists and the classifieds and you’ll get some. You got plenty of time while your build is being completed to amass enough components to burn out the barrel. Reloder 26 will recoup the speed you lost by going short.

TL;DR I vote 7 SAUM

If you like short compact the 7 SAUM is the way to go. Also the Remington model 7 is about 1” shorter than the 700 LA. So that’s the action I would go with. The 7 SAUM does great with the 160-175gr bullets so the factory 2.82” is sufficient. If you want the wyatts extended Mag 2.95” is plenty.

if you are going Long Action there is no need to go saum. I would go 7wsm if it’s a medium action for the 180s-195. If you want a true long action why not the 7 LRM or 28 Nos? I guess the 280 AI would do if you already have a standard bolt

N2TRKYS

WKR
If you want a 20” barrel, why not go with a 7-08? My 140 grain Partitions and Accubonds are going 2860fps in my 20” barrel. I’m taking it on my next elk hunt.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
One thing to consider is component and ammo availability, dies and brass are much cheaper for the .280ai and if you shoot factory ammo the .280ai has more options especially if you consider that you can shoot regular .280 if you have to. If component prices and factory ammo doesn't matter to you I'd look into some of the sherman cartridges. As a disclaimer I'm a .280ai guy

I know they are basically ballistic twins, but I'm wrestling over which one I should go with on a new build. Convince me why I should go with one over the other, or just flip a coin.

This will be a mountain rifle that I use for hunting sheep/goat/black bear. I am looking to stay lightweight and compact. This is important because I intend to keep the barrel as short as 20". I'm tired of fighting with alders.

The 7 SAUM seems to have a reputation for not giving up too much velocity out of short barrels, and is easy to hand load for.

The 280 AI holds more in the magazine, has a lot more factory options, and it's easier to find brass for.

Any other pros/cons I should take into consideration?

A reliable gunsmith told me a couple weeks back that Hornady has plans to introduce their version of a 7 PRC within the year. Apparently he works with them from time to time so I would consider him a reliable source.

I asked him the same exact question about the 280ai and SAUM and he recommended I wait untill the new PRC came out.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I wanted a 20” barrel and it was suggested that I go saum due to the barrel length.
A reliable gunsmith told me a couple weeks back that Hornady has plans to introduce their version of a 7 PRC within the year. Apparently he works with them from time to time so I would consider him a reliable source.

I asked him the same exact question about the 280ai and SAUM and he recommended I wait untill the new PRC came out.
I also spoke with someone that said the 7prc was in the works for 2021 but got pushed back at least a year from covid. I see no reason to wait if you’re a hand loader. If you need factory ammo then I guess it might make sense.

Short and fat is where it’s at!! I’d definitely pick the saum out of those two. I think you’ll find the saum more efficient as well as easier to load for.

EmperorMA

WKR
Short barrel.

Mountain rifle.

Sick of fighting alders.

That has 7 SAUM in a short action written all over it.

It also has 6.8 Western written all over it. :cool:

fatbacks

WKR
I’ll second the above comment about at least getting an XM length action for a short/fat cartridge if you plan to load longer than SAAMI spec. You’ll have feeding issues on most rifles if you load long on a short action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wanted a 20” barrel and it was suggested that I go saum due to the barrel length.

I also spoke with someone that said the 7prc was in the works for 2021 but got pushed back at least a year from covid. I see no reason to wait if you’re a hand loader. If you need factory ammo then I guess it might make sense.
Personally, I'm going to wait to see what the 7 PRC looks like before I build another 7mm. I can wait a year; already have plenty of rifles.

If I couldn't wait I would be doing the SAUM over the 280ai. Medium action, 22" barrel.

When the 7 PRC finally does come out, it'll still be who knows how long before ADG/Lapua/Peterson start making brass for it. I wouldn't get into 7 PRC if the only brass option is Hornady. By the time the cartridge comes out and there is quality brass for it, I will have shot out my 7 SAUM and be ready to try the next shiny thing.

HuntnPack

WKR
Personally I’d focus on component availability & reloading right now, & build accordingly. A good option to look at right now is a Sherman cartridge.