7 STW v 28 Nosler v 7PRC

Looking for a new rifle, just because.

Have had a long love affair with the STW. I have a custom of my fathers based on an old Mauser action and I have a Winchester Model 70 (CRF). I’ve got about 300 pieces of new brass and about 400 1-2x brass.

Seeing that I can’t find a semi custom in the STW I was thinking of either a custom rifle in STW or looking for Semi Custom/Higher end production in 28 Nosler or 7 PRC. Brass is very expensive for the 28 Nosler and yet to really hit shelves with the 7 PRC.

What would you do?

Tahoe1305

WKR
Building one on your own is pretty fun and minimal cost for tools. If I were you I’d go that route and take advantage of your current supplies.

Properly seated handloads in an STW or 28 Nosler are looong and will require a longer mag box to work properly. Either one performs great and would be a fine choice if you're in the market for a custom fast 7, throw the 7 RUM in there too now that ADG is making brass for it.

7 PRC is the easy button if you want an off the shelf rifle to handload for and use factory ammo if you want.

wapitibob

WKR
I've shot a 7stw for the last decade. I had a notion to build a 28N when barrel #3 was burned out and bought all the components. One day I realized the 7 stw was essentially a 28 and loaded up some 195's with N570 since it seems to be the magic load for the 28. It turned my stw into a laser with almost no load development. At that point I dropped the idea of chambering barrel #4 as a 28N and decided to stay with the 7stw and shoot it until all my brass was shot out. I just put barrel #4 into the stock on Monday and it's shooting the same load into about 1/2 minute at 600. It'll be early 2024 before all the stw brass is gone and at that point I'll do another barrel but this time move to the 7PRC, still using 195's and N570.

Coors Man 264

Lil-Rokslider
I would really consider the 7 PRC, Hornady Precision Hunter and Match ammo is available, the Hornady brass isn't bad for reloading. As stated above, running the heavier bullets, 180+, in the Nosler or STW require the longer magazine. The PRC is a turn key solution, and is likely to be widely supported, leading to easy component availability. Just my 2 cents.

Personally. If you’re looking to do a custom. Look at brass availability. I’m building a 7m practical. I’ve got a bunch of petersons brass already. Easy transition. I shot a 7mag for about 20 years. Now I’ve got a 300 win mag to get me over until I get a barrel and reamer. I’ll order my barrel shirt chambered so I can set it myself. Easy work with a hand reamer and some oil.

B23

WKR
7 PRC is the easy button if you want an off the shelf rifle to handload for and use factory ammo if you want.
Agreed, and this pretty well sums it up.

The big 7's like the 28 Nos, STW, 7RUM will shoot a bit faster velocities because they have larger cases and hold more powder so there's always gonna be that but 7mm cartridges like the 7 PRC, 7 Rem mag, 7mm Blaser mag, and even 7 WSM get real close to the same velocities as those bigger 7mm cases but with a fair amount less powder and longer barrel life. For me, the 7 PRC size cases are really well balanced.

Ketron10a

FNG
I just bought a 28 Nosler last September. I wish I had known that the 7 PRC was being released days after I bought it because I would’ve bought that. Just a better option than the 28 Nosler as I believe the industry will get behind it with a lot more gusto. Don’t get me wrong I love my 28. And it shoots great but having said that…

I would go with the 7STW. And the reason I say that is because you’re building a custom rifle for you, with components that have some significance in your life. Every time you shoot that gun you’re going to think about where it came from. And furthermore Controlled round feeding in a Winchester is just the cats ass. My 270 model 70 is just glass smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sold my 7mm STW recently. Amazing cartridge but brass availability isn’t getting any better.

I would go 7mm PRC. Hornady is the best at cartridge marketing, so the PRCs are here to stay.

2five7

WKR
You have 700 pieces of useable brass for the STW, for me, there's your answer! You don't need to go crazy on a new build. Use your M70 action with a good 8 twist barrel, pick a stock you like and rock on.