7 wsm for long range hunting rifle

I'm seriously considering building a sub 7 lb 7 wsm on a LA for my primary LR elk rifle.
Id like to go with a 23" barrel for a suppressor, and be able to send a 175 ablr around 2900-2950.
I found a ton of Hornady brass for the 7wsm so that's a big help..
I know the 7 saum is popular but I already have a 6.5 saum and don't want to mix up ammo, plus I like the 10 grain case capacity advantage with the wsm.

Anyone have experience with this round?
Id like to hear about accuracy and ease of tuning.

amassi

WKR
Think the saum gets the nod round here merely for brass availability and quality. Sounds like you have brass figured out so I'd say go for it. The nice thing about the wsm I had was it ran well on a lot of easy to find powders and didnt require any unicorn dust. Rl 16,17,23. H4350, H4831sc all worked well from 140-160 gr.(factory saami chamber)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Tahoe1305

WKR
Just built a 7WSM last week on a savage SA using carbon6 23” barrel and XLR magnesium chassis. It shot the factory 162 ELDX 20fps below advertised (2980) on the box for first 10 rounds. Pretty happy with that thus far.

Doing load work up and testing this week for 162s and shooting for 3100-3150. If able to hit those I would be able to hit your goal with 175s, especially if it were a long action. I am able to load to about 2.975” for the mag and appears the throat will support that for 175s as well. My 6 shot group was at 1.2 MOA but it was a mix of magnetospeed, and not so not the best sampling for accuracy (wasn’t my goal for break in). I suspect it will hone in on .5MOA or so.

All my research (forums, quickload, reloading manuals, etc) showed I’d get at least 50fps more out of the WSM (cost me 4grs though), that’s why I went that way. Will know soon if gamble paid off.

I’ll post my results this weekend hopefully.

Learned some interesting lessons doing my first bolt action build that I’m happy to share if your planning on doing a prefit. It was fun.

Attachments

• AC487292-425F-4E78-8FC4-CE5CA7765B14.jpeg
    AC487292-425F-4E78-8FC4-CE5CA7765B14.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
If building on a long action I'd take a look at the 7 Blaser mag. Very similar to WSM but with longer necks (7 WSM necks are real short) and I believe norma makes brass for it.

I did a 22" SAUM on a tikka last year for a very similar purpose. I think that SAUM to 7 WSM / RM / Blaser range is a sweet spot for ballistics and recoil balance in an all around gun!

Rocknreed

FNG
I'm shooting a savage in 7wsm 120 gr ttsx average 3646 fps but even with the lighter bullets its recoil is pretty rough. have a Boyd's thumb hole stock love it

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
Just built a 7WSM last week on a savage SA using carbon6 23” barrel and XLR magnesium chassis. It shot the factory 162 ELDX 20fps below advertised 2980) on the box for first 10 rounds. Pretty happy with that thus far.

Doing load work up and testing this week for 162s and shooting for 3100-3150. If able to hit those I would be able to hit your goal with 175s, especially if it were a long action. I am able to load to about 2.975” for the mag and appears the throat will support that for 175s as well. My 6 shot group was at 1.2 MOA but it was a mix of magnetospeed, and not so not the best sampling for accuracy (wasn’t my goal for break in). I suspect it will hone in on .5MOA or so.

All my research (forums, quickload, reloading manuals, etc) showed I’d get at least 50fps more out of the WSM (cost me 4grs though), that’s why I went that way. Will know soon if gamble paid off.

Learned some interesting lessons doing my first bolt action build that I’m happy to share if your planning on doing a prefit. It was fun.
Right on man
Please keep me updated!

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
I say go for it. I have a 7 saum and love it. That would be my recommendation, but to each their own. Everything the saum can do, the wsm can do. Awesome long range elk round if you ask me. I'm having great luck with the 175 eldx. Very easy to find a load for.

tdhanses

WKR
Personally if building I’d go 300wsm, but If you want a 7wsm bad I say go for it.

Azone

WKR
Just built a 7WSM last week on a savage SA using carbon6 23” barrel and XLR magnesium chassis. It shot the factory 162 ELDX 20fps below advertised 2980) on the box for first 10 rounds. Pretty happy with that thus far.

Not trying to derail the thread, but what does your rifle weigh? I’ve been on the fence about building a chassis rifle with a 700 long action and Remage carbon fiber barrel for a few months now.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Not trying to derail the thread, but what does your rifle weigh? I’ve been on the fence about building a chassis rifle with a 700 long action and Remage carbon fiber barrel for a few months now.

Without scope and rings it’s 7lb 3oz. That’s including magazine, folder adapter and ergo grip. If you wanted to shave another half pound you could by putting a lighter grip and not use the folder.

With scope and rings should sit right at 8.5 lbs.

Last edited:

Tahoe1305

WKR
Right on man
Please keep me updated!
Was able to get to the range. I am not going to post charges here but I will say with RL26 I was able to exceed my goal with the 162s without any concerning pressure signs. I am fairly confident based on what I saw today I can get the 175s in the 3050 range without pressure. I don’t have a SAUM to directly compare but based on what I read for what velocities they were producing, I am happy I went with the WSM for my objectives.

FWIW I had no issue finding brass (Albiet Hornady) and was able to buy many factory rounds for under $35 a box.

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
Was able to get to the range. I am not going to post charges here but I will say with RL26 I was able to exceed my goal with the 162s without any concerning pressure signs. I am fairly confident based on what I saw today I can get the 175s in the 3050 range without pressure. I don’t have a SAUM to directly compare but based on what I read for what velocities they were producing, I am happy I went with the WSM for my objectives.

FWIW I had no issue finding brass (Albiet Hornady) and was able to buy many factory rounds for under $35 a box.
That's awesome man
Way faster than I thought you'd be with a 23" barrel!
I went ahead and ordered a 23" 7wsm 8 twist Benchmark barrel.
They had it in stock so ill have the rifle together in a few weeks.
I sent them some dummy rounds with 175's loaded to 3.1" oal.
Just got my 4" suppressor today so I'm jacked to set it all up.
Let me know where you end up with the ablrs

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider

I’m running a conservative load in my saum. I’m using h4831sc, with the 175 eldx. Running at 2950 FPS. I have a 26” barrel. I’m sure I could get it well over 3000.

tdhanses

WKR

RL26 really shines in the wsm, my 300wsm is pushing 215’s at 2963ft/s with a 26” barrel and my 270wsm was pushing the 170’s at 3050ft/s with a 24” barrel.

I think you’ll get the 175’s past 3050 maybe closer to 3100.

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
RL26 really shines in the wsm, my 300wsm is pushing 215’s at 2963ft/s with a 26” barrel and my 270wsm was pushing the 170’s at 3050ft/s with a 24” barrel.

I think you’ll get the 175’s past 3050 maybe closer to 3100.
Thats awesome man
I thought a lot about going with a 300 wsm.
In the end I've settled on the 7 just to get the wife sgoiting with me more.
She missed a nice bull this morning inside 500 yards, shoulda been a chipshot but she hates my 300 mag and flinched it

tdhanses

WKR
Thats awesome man
I thought a lot about going with a 300 wsm.
In the end I've settled on the 7 just to get the wife sgoiting with me more.
She missed a nice bull this morning inside 500 yards, shoulda been a chipshot but she hates my 300 mag and flinched it
My 300wsm with the t2 terminator muzzle brake recoils less then a 308 easy, I can put 50rds through it at the range and my shoulder doesn’t even feel it, just a thought for the 7wsm and 300win mag especially if the recoil is too much for her.

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
Thanks
I bought a pile of Hornady brass on sale for $28 a bag
At that price screw Lapua and ADG.
The cases are pretty damn consistent in weight and quality.