7 wsm for long range hunting rifle

rootacres

WKR
So I finished my 7mm WSM build a few months ago and took my first ever bull in the last week. I built mine on a Bighorn Origin SA, 22" Mcgowen barrel (1:9") and its throwing 168gr berger classic hunters a 2845 fps avg, Axial Precision (now Alterra arms) stock. Im easily achieving sub MOA. Getting 3"- 4" groups at 600 yds when the weather cooperates. Load development was pretty simple. I think 600 yds is about the cutoff point for shooting elk for me.

325yd shoulder shot, 168gr berger classic hunter
IMG_2748.jpg

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
So I finished my 7mm WSM build a few months ago and took my first ever bull in the last week. I built mine on a Bighorn Origin SA, 22" Mcgowen barrel (1:9") and its throwing 168gr berger classic hunters a 2845 fps avg, Axial Precision (now Alterra arms) stock. Im easily achieving sub MOA. Getting 3"- 4" groups at 600 yds when the weather cooperates. Load development was pretty simple. I think 600 yds is about the cutoff point for shooting elk for me.

325yd shoulder shot, 168gr berger classic hunter
View attachment 225165
Nice
What sort of velocity were you able to achieve?
Sounds like a saami length setup?

rootacres

WKR
Nice
What sort of velocity were you able to achieve?
Sounds like a saami length setup?

Yeah, its basically a max SAAMI spec setup. With the 168gr berger classic hunters loaded to 2.860" COAL I am pushing them into the lands a little bit, so they could probably be loaded a little shorter. The accuracy was too good to mess with and the velocity consistency was awesome. Im loading 58gr of H4350, federal match primers, win brass and am getting 2845 out of a 22" barrel with no pressure signs. Looking back on it, I really wanted to do a SA rifle, so a 7mm SAUM would have been a good option too. I could shoot the longer high BC bullets and not run into mag box length issues.

Yeah, its basically a max SAAMI spec setup. With the 168gr berger classic hunters loaded to 2.860" COAL I am pushing them into the lands a little bit, so they could probably be loaded a little shorter. The accuracy was too good to mess with and the velocity consistency was awesome. Im loading 58gr of H4350, federal match primers, win brass and am getting 2845 out of a 22" barrel with no pressure signs. Looking back on it, I really wanted to do a SA rifle, so a 7mm SAUM would have been a good option too. I could shoot the longer high BC bullets and not run into mag box length issues.

It sounds like you could make some 175 bergers work still if you are using a wyatts box or accurate mags that let you get to 2.950". Not that you should fix what isn't broken but it looks like you could do that without the bullet taking up notably more powder space.

I ran one for a few years. 175’s at 2950 with RL-26 in a 26” barrel. I miss that gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tahoe1305

WKR
Can’t justify trying 175s because my calculator shows my 162s faster get close enough performance even with wind inside 1000yds.

I’ll probably dial it back a bit for brass life because this is showing slight ejector mark but man it shoots fast and accurate enough for my hunting. Overall happy with my 7WSM decision.

Funny note it outshoots my 338 Lapua in drop dope out to a mile....pretty impressive round.

Attachments

• 1778C7FD-0924-4295-A521-ECBFD9A70D7E.jpeg
    1778C7FD-0924-4295-A521-ECBFD9A70D7E.jpeg
    227.3 KB · Views: 38
Can’t justify trying 175s because my calculator shows my 162s faster get close enough performance even with wind inside 1000yds.

I’ll probably dial it back a bit for brass life because this is showing slight ejector mark but man it shoots fast and accurate enough for my hunting. Overall happy with my 7WSM decision.

Funny note it outshoots my 338 Lapua in drop dope out to a mile....pretty impressive round.

Hell I’d do it just out of fear about how splashy an eldx would be at 3200+ FPS.

Tahoe1305

WKR
As in fragment violently and penetrate minimally. The 175 ELDx is too splashy for my liking at low/mid 2800 FPS MV.

My only other experience with the ELDX is in the 143 in my 6.5C. I’ve had 5 kills on sheep, goat, deer with that all about 200-250yds IVO 2600 FPS impacts. They did well IMO.

To get that slow with my WSM would take 400yd shots. Agree that fast of an impact could cause issues.

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
My only other experience with the ELDX is in the 143 in my 6.5C. I’ve had 5 kills on sheep, goat, deer with that all about 200-250yds IVO 2600 FPS impacts. They did well IMO.

To get that slow with my WSM would take 400yd shots. Agree that fast of an impact could cause issues.
My buddy splattered a 143 eldx on a bulls scapula with his creed.
I would stick with the ABLR personally

Tahoe1305

WKR
As in fragment violently and penetrate minimally. The 175 ELDx is too splashy for my liking at low/mid 2800 FPS MV.
So shot a buck this weekend and may have validated your comment. Placement was same as usually behind front shoulder. Couldn’t find exit wound just a big skin protrusion by the ribs (assuming from a good chunk of bullet almost penetrating) but the inside was like a grenade went off. Got into guts a bit somehow.

Have a factory round in the chamber for tomorrow to see how a few hundred FPS less fairs. I also have some 175s on the way which should cut some velocity down. But based on what you saw it may still be a bit fast.

Too bad I really like the way the eld-x’s fly, not quite ready to switch it up yet.

So shot a buck this weekend and may have validated your comment. Placement was same as usually behind front shoulder. Couldn’t find exit wound just a big skin protrusion by the ribs (assuming from a good chunk of bullet almost penetrating) but the inside was like a grenade went off. Got into guts a bit somehow.

Have a factory round in the chamber for tomorrow to see how a few hundred FPS less fairs. I also have some 175s on the way which should cut some velocity down. But based on what you saw it may still be a bit fast.

Too bad I really like the way the eld-x’s fly, not quite ready to switch it up yet.

As long as folks know what to expect, they work great. I’m still using 175s in my SAUM this week for elk. Primarily because I haven’t had a chance to work up a load with anything else. They have killed everything I’ve shot cleanly but I don’t like the prospects of them on a quartering to elk.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Love my 7mm magnums, But, match bullets can grenade on impact if they hit at high velocity. If I expect quick close shots on a hunt, I load up a magazine of Accubonds for anything inside 200 yards or so for that reason. They shoot very similar to my long range load. If I have a long range shot, there is adequate time to pop in a new mag of my long range load.

I shot my elk at 590 yards this year. I got three quick shots in the boiler room. All were lethal double lung shots, but he was just standing there so I kept shooting till he tipped over backwards.

I run my 180 vld at 3050 with 60.5 of Reloader 26 out of my 7 Sherman Magnum for anyone looking at the 7 short mags. There is no pressure signs and the nodes are wide as a country mile and accuracy/precision is fantastic. It is very easy to load and tune up. Bullets fit in my 300 wsm Accurate mag and shoot out of my short action no problem.

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
Love my 7mm magnums, But, match bullets can grenade on impact if they hit at high velocity. If I expect quick close shots on a hunt, I load up a magazine of Accubonds for anything inside 200 yards or so for that reason. They shoot very similar to my long range load. If I have a long range shot, there is adequate time to pop in a new mag of my long range load.

I shot my elk at 590 yards this year. I got three quick shots in the boiler room. All were lethal double lung shots, but he was just standing there so I kept shooting till he tipped over backwards.

I run my 180 vld at 3050 with 60.5 of Reloader 26 out of my 7 Sherman Magnum for anyone looking at the 7 short mags. There is no pressure signs and the nodes are wide as a country mile and accuracy/precision is fantastic. It is very easy to load and tune up. Bullets fit in my 300 wsm Accurate mag and shoot out of my short action no problem.
How long is your barrel?

I ran the 180 eld-m at 3065fps from my 26” 7 wsm for several years. Never took more then 1 bullet per animal from 75 yds to 694 yds including 2 elk at 293 and 517 yds. They worked just like Berger’s penetrating 4-5” and coming unglued and everything dropped on the spot or within 5-10 yds at most.

Last edited:
OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
I ran the 180 eld-m at 3065fps from my 26” 7 wsm for several years. Never took more then 1 bullet let animal from 75 yds to 694 yds including 2 elk at 293 and 517 yds. They worked just like Berger’s penetrating 4-5” and coming unglued and everything dropped on the spot or within 5-10 yds at most.
Nice
I had considered doing a 7 sherman max but I'm really digging my 7 wsm, and I'm getting the same performance in a 22" barrel without screwing around with a wildcat..
I'm sending 180s 3025 and just started playing with 195's at 2900.
I've killed a few bulls and a bunch of deer with Eldms in the past and had really hit or miss results.
I was talking with a guy at Gunwerks and he said they've had the same inconsistent results with Eldms.
They've switched solely to 168 and 180 Berger hybrids
He said the 195's are great if you can get the speed with them, but recommends filing the metplats so the tips are uniform because an uneven side can fold over on the hollow point.

Nice
I had considered doing a 7 sherman max but I'm really digging my 7 wsm, and I'm getting the same performance in a 22" barrel without screwing around with a wildcat..
I've killed a few bulls and a bunch of deer with Eldms in the past and had really hit or miss results.
I was talking with a guy at Gunwerks and he said they've had the same inconsistent results with Eldms.
He said the 195's are great if you can get the speed with them, but recommends filing the metplats so the tips are uniform because an uneven side can fold over on the hollow point.
I have evened meplats before but decided the bc hit didn’t equal the accuracy increase. With the rifles I shoot bergers in currently I only ensure the tips aren’t clogged via pin drills and have had no issues with expansion.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Nice
If you are happy with the 7 wsm, you can't get much better than what you are. I'd take a 22" barrel spitting them over 3000.