700 Custom ks Mtn rifle for long range

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys I'm looking for some advise. I have a remington 700 custom ks Mtn rifle in 300 rum. It has a Swarovski 3-12 x50 habicht scope with tds reticle on it and I have only ever shot factory 180 scirocco out of it and with a 300 yd zero this set up gives me holdovers out to 700 yds. I have killed two elk past 500 yds with it and I've killed some rocks out to 700 yds. I have recently started reloading and plan to try out some 230 bergers because the ballistics look so impressive. I would like to start shooting farther with this rifle so I'm thinking I'm probably going to go with a different scope but I'm wondering if the ks Mtn rifle platform is even going to make a viable long range rifle? Also not sure if there is any hope of loading 230s to magazine length and having them shoot good? Also looking for scope suggestions. I'm thinking budget for scope will be around $1000 so I'm considering vortex pst or leupold mk4. Just trying to get a feel for how much of a can of worms I'm about to open up here or if I should just leave this rifle alone and start from scratch for a legit long range elk gun.
Thanks for any info.
Colby

Jon Pynch

FNG
what twist barrel do you have? I'm not sure you'll be able to stabilize the 215's or 230's unless you have a 1/10" twist. That's what I've been using on my recent 300 RUM builds, as my old 1/12" wouldn't cut it with the heavy bullets. You may be able to load them to mag length if you're barrel will stabilize them. The new hybrid design is a lot less fussy about seating depth than their VLD design is, so you could probably get close.

If you can save a little more for optics I would really suggest getting a used nightforce. i've replaced all my Mk4's after using a nightforce years ago and couldn't be happier.

KMD

Banned
Colby, if you're shooting LR, remember...you've got time to single feed a bullet. LR shooting is best undertaken with a measured approach. Between building a solid position, verifying range, and gauging wind conditions, there's plenty of time to get a round hand fed into the chamber...

If you want to try those heavier bullets, don't feel like you have to stay within the constraints of your factory mag length. Lots of factory rifles have cavernous chambers and plenty of freebore, so odds are you won't find happiness engaging the lands from a magazine fed length in yours.
So, if you find a load that hammers at distance, just keep your LR loads in an ammo pouch and load before the shot! Kinda stinks that you can't have your cake and eat it too, from a factory rifle, buts that's why going custom holds appeal. You can select the reamer dimensions that'll work ideally for your chosen bullet, and chamber accordingly...

Also, big +1 for grabbing a used Nightforce to outfit your big 300 boomer! I've owned seven different NFs in various configs, and they've all been rock solid.

Broz

WKR
The 230 Berger OTM was designed with the 300 win mag in mind for military use. Thus it has an o-give designed to work well even seated off the lands. The 230 is commonly used in many 300 RUM's with freebore. I feel confident you can make this bullet preform well in your RUM as long as stated you do have a 1 in 10 twist.

I too would grab a Nightforce NXS for your needs. Even if you opted for the 3.5~15 which can be had used in the basic model for around $1200.

Jeff

OP
C

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like a guy can buy that 3.5-14 nxs for $1248 on euro optic. That would definitely be within budget.
Thanks
Colby

OP
C

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
My bad it is 3.5-15x50 nxs. Looks like $1248 has np-r1 reticle. I see one with moar reticle but I don't see rp-r1 listed?
Thanks
Colby

Broz

WKR
My bad it is 3.5-15x50 nxs. Looks like $1248 has np-r1 reticle. I see one with moar reticle but I don't see rp-r1 listed?
Thanks
Colby

The NP-R1 is the old tried and true favorite MOA reticle and is .062 in thickness. The MOAR is the newer version that replaces the NP-R1. The first design MOAR is .140 thick. But be aware there is also a newly offered MOAR "T" that is thinner and the same size as the old NP-R1 at .062 thickness. They are discontinuing the NP-R1 so if you find one it will be old stock.

Jeff

Thanks
Colby

ze7ape3e.jpg

This is the NP-R1 reticle through a 22x NXS @ 800+ yards.

OP
C

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
The other option that I'm considering is selling the ks and buying savage lrh in 338 lapua. Any thoughts about that? My ultimate goal is functional long range elk rifle. Lapua launching 300 bergers looks good on paper too. Savage is not much to look at but I've heard they are shooters. Any advise is appreciated. I'm definetly thinking night force on either gun after looking at them more and reading some reviews.
Thanks
Colby

Last edited:

Broz

WKR
Colby, I am a huge .338 fan and we kill a lot of elk. The 338 LM is a great choice if going to 1000 or beyond for elk. Although I think you should read all you can on the 338 LM Savage first. I have seen lots of negative threads related to chamber issues. That said to at 900 or even 1000 and all shots closer a 300 RUM with 230 Bergers or a 300 win mag with 215 Bergers are great choices for elk rifles. If you haven't put your hands on one of the new Remington 700 Long Range rifles I would take a look. They can be had for $650 new. They sport a Bell & Carlson M 40 stock with high cheek piece and aluminum bedding rail. A 26" 1 in 10 twist heavy barrel and just might fill your bill nicely. I just picked one up in 300 win and will be accurizing it soon. I plan to load 215 Bergers in it at just under 3000 fps. It will wear a Nightforce and I will run it through the ringer and see just what a $650 rifle with a little tuning can do. I am optimistic I can make it a reliable elk killer to 900+.

Jeff

ST52v

WKR
Thanks for the insight Broz! This might get me in trouble!! I love my t-3 7 mag but that long range Rem in a 300 RUM pushing 215 or 230 grain Bergers. Besides my brother will end up with a 300 of some kind and I can't let him get one up on me. Ha ha I have to find a way to resist this urge. When you say accurising what will you do to it?

Broz

WKR
My son has the one we bought in Billings and I will get it from him soon. I want to measure it up chamber wise then maybe lengthen the throat a bit. But only if needed like my Tac match reamer has. That said it will probably be the same reamer they used on the Sendero's and they work fine as is. The barrel looks just like the first model sendero's (black barrel no flutes) I will bed the action and free float the barrel. Easy to do as no pillars are needed in this aluminum bedding rail stock. Then I will either work over the X-mark pro trigger or put a Timney on it and set at 1 1/2 lbs. It is going to get a Nightforce 20 moa rail and a NF scope. It will get a JP Tactical compensator brake as well. That's about it. I have not seen a 300 win yet that didn't love the 215 hybrid Bergers. The last 26" we set up got 2980 fps in WW brass with H-1000. Those 215's with their short bearing surface really scoot and they truly have winds with that .696 G1 BC.

Edit to add: I looked one of these over real hard before I bought one. The M 40 stock feels great and has a cheek weld that should work well prone. The trigger was heavy but hardly any creep. They look like a buy to me at this price. Heck even if a guy wanted to add a custom 28" tube later you have a good action and stock to work with. Not a full custom by any means but a real value if they shoot decent.

Jeff

Last edited:
OP
C

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
This might be kind of dumb question but do you think that long range remington would be a better choice than my ks Mtn rifle? If so how come? Do different Remington's get different chambers cut? Also I did some checking like you said and there is quite a bit of talk about tight chambers in the savage lapua.
Again thanks for all the info.
Colby

Broz

WKR
This might be kind of dumb question but do you think that long range remington would be a better choice than my ks Mtn rifle? If so how come? Do different Remington's get different chambers cut? Also I did some checking like you said and there is quite a bit of talk about tight chambers in the savage lapua.
Again thanks for all the info.
Colby

Not better, but a little different platform. Your KS is a sweet rig and lighter. But depending on terrain where you will go after elk a heavier barreled , heavier rifle could have some merit. This also depends on the distance you want to take elk.

Jeff

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Colby, I have that exact same rifle cept it is 338 RUM. I've added at jewell trigger and had it accurized by Hill Country Rifles and it shoots just over 1/2 inch with 250 grain swift a frames. I have not played with it extensively yet but it is really light and very accurate. My concern for the longer ranges would be the recoil---mine kicks like a mule even with a brake plus you will be limited in COAL with the factory magazine. Only way to really tell is to get an accurate load developed and go and shoot it long. I will echo what others have said about the 300 winny. It is a great long range cartridge and it would serve you well----H1000 and 215 bergers. Very effective combination.

Randy

300WSM

FNG
Hey little buddy when should I expect to be launching some bergers out of this beast you are creating.