73 Grain ELDM (223) for deer?

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
So I have a bunch of this factory ammo and would like to deer hunt with it but I can't find enough info on how the bullet works on deer to get 100% comfortable with it. Anyone have experience with that particular bullet?

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Depending on what State you live in it may not be legal to hunt deer with a .223. Check your States regs.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

sram9102

WKR
There is a ton of information on this forum about eldm's being very effective out of a variety of cartridges. Keep impact velocities above 1800 fps and your good to go. Shot my mulie this year with the 88 eldm.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Might check here:

OP
JBradley500

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
I have read that thread, which is why I have the 8 twist Tikka haha but the specific 73 eld bullet (factory cartridges) I have is what I'm worried about. I have a couple hundred 77 grains TMKs but no other supplies to load before hunting season.

83cj-7

WKR
75 ELDs work well, not sure why the 73 wouldn’t work equally well. There is a velocity ceiling though. My 22-6mm moves them at 3600 and that’s far too fast to get penetration on a deer.

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
My boss has two boys that are 11 and 13 and has had them shoot all five of their deer with his ar 15 because of the low recoil and adjustable stock. They have used hornady 55 gr superformance bullets on all of the deer. All of the shots were under 150 yds and none of the deer ran more than 40 yds. The terminal performance was awesome but there was never an exit wound. All of their shots were from solid positions and all were broadside.

skeen

FNG
Depending on what State you live in it may not be legal to hunt deer with a .223. Check your States regs.

In what states is it illegal to hunt deer with a .223?

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
South Carolina does not allow .223 for deer. Colorado the same. Other States would have to be researched.

Crambo

FNG
No, I didn't take any pics. Wanted to get the deer dealt with. Caught the (part of) the bullet on the off side shoulder. Haven't weighed it yet to see how big of piece it is. Didn't blow up like I expected. A little bit of blood shot damage on the off side shoulder but I've experienced worse with 7mm-08.

OP
JBradley500

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
No, I didn't take any pics. Wanted to get the deer dealt with. Caught the (part of) the bullet on the off side shoulder. Haven't weighed it yet to see how big of piece it is. Didn't blow up like I expected. A little bit of blood shot damage on the off side shoulder but I've experienced worse with 7mm-08.
Good deal. Any info you can provide would be great. There's not much info out there so this is great.

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
No experience with the 73 ELD-M, but I have been there when a 75Amax has been used a couple dozen times on whitetails/muleys/blackbears from spitting distance through way out there.
Inside 100 yards or so maybe try to stay off shoulders, past 100, crush shoulders.

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
Didn’t even follow my own advice last night. Last half hour of the last day of the season stuck a 75 Amax into the shoulder at about 80 yards ala Kimber Montana 223AI. Dropped and flailed at the shot, rolled over once and got his feet under him and managed maybe an 80 yard death run body and head low to the ground.
Heart, lungs, and onside shoulder smashed. Think the bullet is hung up in the back side of the offside leg.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Can you point me to the current SC regs that reference this?
Technically I am incorrect, however this is the State recommendation:
There are no caliber restrictions on private land. However, a .22 rimfire rifle is inadequate to harvest deer and can result in wounding or unrecovered deer. RESPECT for the animal hunted should always be a common sense guide for ethical hunters. Use only a weapon that allows the animal to be cleanly harvested. Generally speaking, a .243 or 6mm is the smallest caliber normally recommended for deer. For more information, call SCDNR Law Enforcement at (803) 734-4002.