.75 HP Grinder Recommendation - LEM #12 or Cabelas Carnivore?

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking to get my first grinder and had settled on the Cabelas Carnivore .75 HP but then I saw LEM is having a sale and their #12 Big Bite is actually cheaper. I have never processed my own game until this year and haven’t done any grinding yet. Is there any reason why I should get one of these over the other?

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I literally just pulled the trigger on the LEM #12 .75hp but I found a better price than the LEM website. Go to Home depot website today and the Big Bite #12 is $337 with free shipping.

Last edited:
OP
S

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
I literally just pulled the trigger on the LEM #12 .75hp but I found a better price than the LEM website. Go to Home depot website today and the Big Bite #12 is $337 with free shipping.
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up, I’ll do the same

xOttox

FNG
Just got done using the Cabela's and had no problems. It's a few years old and keeps going. This was purchased back when they actually backed their sort of cared about their products so ymmv. But it made processing 25lbs of ground deer a breeze.
a225fce41d009c6bec84029fbbc8545e.jpg

I have a 15 year or so old cabelas and it's a beast. That said everything I've ever gotten from LEM is top notch. The freeze packs on the newer carnivore seem a bit gimmicky to me. But then again I'm somewhat of a luddite and slow to accept new things!

gburk

WKR
I’ve used the LEM #12 a fair bit and can recommend it without reservation. Of course I’ve got my eye on the #22 but realistically the grinder is not the bottleneck in my operation.

sndmn11

WKR
I had been considering ordering a different LEM product for some time and couldn't decide between it or another manufacturer's. I called LEM with some generic questions and one intentionally confusing one. The woman on the phone was fantastic and knew the product well. I couldn't imagine that a call to Cabela's would have gone the same way.

gunsmith89

Lil-Rokslider
I use the heck out of my carnivore and have never had an issue. My friend has the #12 LEM and likes his just as much. He has all of the bells and whistles for his which maybe someone on here knows. Being that the cabelas .75 carnivore is a #12 will the attachments for LEM work on mine?

Ronin75

Lil-Rokslider
I own a Lem #22 and have been using it for the past three years. Last week I used it to grind approx 80 lbs of deer , pork and elk meat with no problems. Last year I took a sausage making class, the instructor warned the students not to buy a cabelas meat grinder, he had horror stories about repairs and trying to find parts once he gave up on cabela attempts to warranty the grinder. Last month I was I Montana, a local butcher has a shop we’re he allows hunters to use his shop to DIY their own game. He also had horror stories about cabela grinders, 3 of which broke down during this past year season. He finally gave up and asked for a refund. Lem , Weston are both great , I would stay away from the other brand. Hopefully this helps.

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
If you live by a Cabelas, like I do, the customer service is amazing. My buddy walks in there, with stuff he broke, all the time and walks out with new replacements. They used to warranty everything with their name on it forever, but since bass pro bought them out that has gone away. But my local store still swaps out everything. With that said I don’t know who makes their stuff? It’s probably Chinese. LEM seems to only make good quality equipment.

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
LEM. Cabela's return policies have changed since Bass Pro merger. Their branded stuff may not stick around in the future either.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Either one will be fine, a number 12 neck with .75HP is decent combo for home use.