7Mag in My Future- Help me decide

OP
G

gethuntin

WKR
All good things to consider but it will be a hunting rifle. Although i would be purchasing this rifle for some longer ranges i still think the 24" will be what i am after. I also plan on shooting a bullet in the 160 gr range. Thanks for all the input. Another question what are some historically good powders for the 7mag with the 160is gr bullets? I am partial to Hodgon bc of there temp insensitive powders.

Mckinnon

WKR
Yeah Whisky,

I think barrel length gets a lot more press than it deserves. There has been a lot of barrel length testing on accuracy also, and shorter barrels tend to shoot better. You know shorter = stiffer.

It's not the length it's how you ... Oh never mind.

I agree about barrel length, I have never noticed a difference in MY shooting capabilities between a 20" and 24"....

Shrek

WKR
+1 for retumbo with 160gr and heavier.
As for barrel lenght , all I can tell you is the guys setting records at a mile + are all shooting very long barrels. 30"-32" is common.

TwoTikkas

WKR
I posted this on the OPs thread on another forum,but I'll post up again for you fellers. I'm just plain giddy with my T3 7 RM these days. Shot this 3 shot group with it Sun. I sometimes wish it was a 26" yube to wring out a few more RPMs,but I can't argue with the way she shoots at 24".
ad0357df-5b86-4053-abed-448b308918ee_zps00aa6c31.jpg

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
BB, I totaly agree with what you are saying about the 24" being good for hunting. I think the Tikka T3 in 7mm or something like it would make a VERY good all around hunting rifle. (the reason I told my best friend to buy one)

The only thing the extra velocity really helps with is your energy level way down range.
As you saw with my 6.5, I tend to try and get everything I can out of a rifle as far as range goes so that is kinda where my thinking comes from.

TwoTikkas,
That is why I like those rifles so much!

TwoTikkas

WKR
I've not chronyed them yet! Every time I get the ambition to drag out the tri-pod and chrony,the "next time" syndrome hits,lol. Folks have been asking,so I guess I need to blow a couple across it here pretty soon.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I posted this on the OPs thread on another forum,but I'll post up again for you fellers. I'm just plain giddy with my T3 7 RM these days. Shot this 3 shot group with it Sun. I sometimes wish it was a 26" yube to wring out a few more RPMs,but I can't argue with the way she shoots at 24".
ad0357df-5b86-4053-abed-448b308918ee_zps00aa6c31.jpg
That will bring a tear to any shooter's eye!