7mag Velocity Check

Stickeen

FNG
I just got a leupold with a turret for my T3 in 7mm. Settled on a load w 150 gr. TTSX and 68.4 grains of RL 26. Chronograph is reading between 3300-3400 fps - faster than expected! Anyone else getting similar results? Just want to double check before sending info in for turret.

amassi

WKR
Do yourself a favor, if that load groups well go and shoot it out to your effective range and confirm your dope before you order your dial.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

tom338

FNG
Seems really fast to me. But none of my rifles will take that much RL-26 either. I have one that will take a load of 67.0 and no where near those speeds. Do as amassi says and go confirm your drop at different ranges and confirm it

Raygun15E

FNG
If your chrono is a model with two screens like a Caldwell or something similar, make sure the unit is set up correctly. I had issues with mine one day where one of the screens was leaning in causing the distance between them to be shorter than normal. This resulted in some 3200f/s 7RM loaf development shots that scared me till I took a look at the chrono!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
As others have said, definitely check your drops. All of the Leupolds I've been around are notorious for not tracking correctly. They mostly overtrack. With a solid zero and bullets on target at distance you'll be able to get accurate data for your turret.

Jesse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charon

Lil-Rokslider
If I remember correctly for every inch more in barrel length you gain 50fps in most rifles and I believe that most ammo companies use 24 and 26 inch barrels for there velocity tests.

WKR
I was shooting 180 ELD with 68 grains of RL26 for 3030 fps out of a 25" barrel. If your rig is zeroed at 100, plug in the data and dial up for 500 or 600 yards and see if it is on. Heck, just print out the drop chart and dial up as needed for a few range sessions before ordering a custom turret.

amassi

WKR
I'm a leupy shooter but I never order the cds
Too many variables are unaccounted for and I believe this is the root of some of the fail to track claims.
Some folks never take the time to measure velocity and confirm it or confirm the bc of a bullet. For instance I was selling scopes at a big box store when the Accubond Long range was released. Some fools would order their cds off of noslers grossly inflated claims

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
Stickeen

Stickeen

FNG
Thanks for all the comments. Borrowed another chronograph and got speeds 3044 - 3084 fps which seems more realistic. Turns out Dad's Chrony has a few issues going on. Want to check the drops to see if they jive. Usually I'm only concerned with shooting out to 100 and don't consider the drops but gearing up for a sheep hunt in August. Thanks again!