7mm-08 all around hunting load

OXN939

WKR
Anyone have any catastrophic failures with the eldx? Ive heard stories of failures trying to shoot through a front shoulder.

Yeah, I watched a dude put a good shot into the scapula of a Whitetail buck in '19 that took off and ran several hundred yards with minimal blood trail before expiring. The shot was eventually lethal, but the bullet appeared to have blown up pretty catastrophically as it passed through the shoulder- large, shallow wound channel.

Why anyone would consider a bullet that is designed for target shooting and has an extensively documented history of on-game failures is beyond me. Grab some 120 TTSXs or Hammers and you're set to kill anything in the lower 48 at any reasonable hunting range.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Yeah, I watched a dude put a good shot into the scapula of a Whitetail buck in '19 that took off and ran several hundred yards with minimal blood trail before expiring. The shot was eventually lethal, but the bullet appeared to have blown up pretty catastrophically as it passed through the shoulder- large, shallow wound channel.

Why anyone would consider a bullet that is designed for target shooting and has an extensively documented history of on-game failures is beyond me. Grab some 120 TTSXs or Hammers and you're set to kill anything in the lower 48 at any reasonable hunting range.
The ELDX is NOT designed for target shooting

jpmulk

WKR

The eldx is designed for hunting not target shooting. Might be confusing some bullets there. But, I appreciate the info on the failure! Ive heard of a few of these third hand so looking to hear more.

AMac

FNG
If anyone finds 140 gr accubonds loaded or component bullets, or 155 gr terminal Ascents for 7mm-08 .284 Please Post..... The search continues!!!

Federal in Anoka is 30 min away, I wish I could just knock on their door and buy 155gr Ascents....

OXN939

WKR
The eldx is designed for hunting not target shooting.

While this is technically correct, I don't consider a slightly tweaked ELD-M to be designed specifically for hunting. Here's a cross sectional view of them next to each other. Guess the question is, why use that when there are a ton of options that are designed from the ground up to do the job?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221203_180516_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221203_180516_Chrome.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 59

G37some

FNG
I shoot a Tikka Compact in 7-08 with a 20" barrel. I load 139 Barnes LRX with Big Game. MV numbers are between 2900-2950. For this bullet, Barnes claims a 1400fps minimum expansion velocity. The 145LRX is 1600fps.

I've also had good luck on my Tikka Compact with the Hornady Precision Hunter 150g ELDX as well.
how many grains of big game? im currently at book max according to barnes shooting the 140 ttsx and i cant get above 2850.

Marble

WKR
Man that's cruising for a 140 out of a 7mm-08. But some barrels are just fast and I've come across a few Savage barrels that were really fast for whatever reason.
I thought the same thing. I was expecting 2850ish. It's 47.5 grains of BigGame which is well below max. Just odd.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

While this is technically correct, I don't consider a slightly tweaked ELD-M to be designed specifically for hunting. Here's a cross sectional view of them next to each other. Guess the question is, why use that when there are a ton of options that are designed from the ground up to do the job?
I think the eldx is closer to the AMax than ELDM.

We‘ve kilt an ark worth of critters without failure with eldx but heck, hunters report failures of Partitions and Accubonds, too.

P

OXN939

WKR
hunters report failures of Partitions and Accubonds, too.

P

True that. Look hard enough and you can find reports of failures of just about every projectile out there.

I just say TTSX/ Hammers because 7mm-08 lends itself to that combo so well- it's about the perfect middle ground of zippy enough to keep expansion up at reasonable hunting ranges, large enough to penetrate well and small enough to recoil noticeably less than any of the .30s.

03mossy

WKR
True that. Look hard enough and you can find reports of failures of just about every projectile out there.

I just say TTSX/ Hammers because 7mm-08 lends itself to that combo so well- it's about the perfect middle ground of zippy enough to keep expansion up at reasonable hunting ranges, large enough to penetrate well and small enough to recoil noticeably less than any of the .30s.
Are you saying the 120’s or 140’s for the TTSX? Getting ready to load for my sons 7-08 and can’t decide on which weight to go with.

Last edited:
I own five 7-08s, and load for four of them. Powder charges may vary, but all of them shoot 120 TTSXs and 139 Interlocks very well. I couldn't ask for better on game performance. I try to hold all shots inside 300 yds, but 400 would be no problem.

Jon Boy

WKR
As im in the process of going to a 7-08 from 7 mag, im heavily considering the eldx. I shot the eldx in the 7mag and was only ever impressed by it. Id assume the same out of the 7-08.

Anyone have any catastrophic failures with the eldx? Ive heard stories of failures trying to shoot through a front shoulder. This would make sense depending on speed and due to the bullet construction.
Weird deal but I use to run 7 mags and my 7/08s far more impressed me I think the eldx and eldm just perform better at a slightly better velocity. Lapua case, varget and a 162 eldm in a Tikka have been my favorite flavor by far.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

AkRyan

WKR
Weird deal but I use to run 7 mags and my 7/08s far more impressed me I think the eldx and eldm just perform better at a slightly better velocity. Lapua case, varget and a 162 eldm in a Tikka have been my favorite flavor by far.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I have a 162 eldm load with r17 hitting 2780fps and 1moa