7mm-08 copper bullet

Ringtail

FNG
Hey guys I have a Savage Lightweight storm 20in barrel 7mm-08. Been wanting to load a 120 gn all copper bullet in it for my wife hoping it will be lower recoiling. I am trying to decide between 120 TTSX or 120 hammer hunters. I have heard spectacular things about the hammers accuracy and ease of load development. That is very appealing to me since free time is rather limited with a 1 year old. Just wondering what you guys opinions are with the terminal performance of the 2. I am new here and I’m really enjoying the forum.

Hammers are hands down the best. Both will work. At 7mm-08 speeds I'd go Hammer or Controlled Chaos in the 120gr. Both of those will do their jobs at reasonable hunting distance speeds in this cartridge. The 139 LRX has much better ballistics, has a wider speed band for expansion and better wind resistance. That would be my first choice. If I wanted lighter with max speed I'd do a 110gr over the 120, but that's me. The extra speed would ensure expansion and max shock. In a monolithic copper bullet, 139 will be long for caliber, but I'd expect the 1 in 9.5 to stabilize it fine.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

I’ve used 120gr ttsx with cfe223. No complaints on accuracy or terminal performance. Shots taken on game were all under 250yards, so not long range.

Never have tried the hammer hunters.

The claimed 1400fps minimum expansion velocity for the 139 lrx has some appeal to me if I were to switch away from the 120s.

MattB

WKR
I am not much of a gun guy but I tried an 80 gr. Hammer bullets for a light recoiling load for my daughter's .243 when and the bullet worked great on a hog she shot. Those bullets were also exceptionally accurate in that gun (~.4-.5" 3 shot groups were the norm).

Suera

FNG
Ttsx or lrx for me, I haven't a 7mm-08 but I use both bullets in 6.5cm ( 120 grains) and 243 win (80 grains) and they work perfectly good in all ranges , I kill Aoudads and ibex from 20 meters to 500 meters and this bullets are awasome. I have never tried the hammer maybe they are also excellent bullets but with Barnes you don't be wrong

twodogs

FNG
I shot the 120 gr. TTSX in two of my 7-08 rifles (Kimber Montana and Rem 700 Mtn rifle) for well over a decade. I used 44.0 grains of RL-15 and it would shoot sub-moa very reliably. I've taken over a dozen elk and as many deer with that bullet. No complaints from me other than it tended to not group all that well at 300 or so yards.

Two years ago I switched to the 120 HH because of the TTSX distance grouping. I've been very impressed with the Hammer bullet and have taken two elk and two deer with them. They don't copper foul the barrel as much, and they shoot itty-bitty groups out to 300 yards (my ethical maximum). That bullet really gets along with Varget for both of the rifles I mentioned.

I have been using Barnes bullets for about 30 years and have taken a lot of beer and a few elk with them. The tipped tsx and Lrx bullets have been very reliable for me. I am currently shooting the 120 in my 7mm-08 . Previously I was shooting the 140 TTSX. Once I run out I may try the 131 absolute hammers to see if they perform.

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
Using the 131gr HH in my 7mm08, easy load workup, super accurate, great performance on game (so far, antelope but elk trip coming up...)

homers

WKR
Same setup I have, 7mm-08 131gr HH, Varget. Getting over 3100fps and super accurate.

I've used both in the same rifle (LWS with 20" barrel). Both gave me excellent accuracy but the Hammers were easier to work up and gave me better velocity. They also put down the deer I shot with them faster than the 120 TTSX's. Both deer I shot with the TTSX's had a very small exit hole and both deer ran over 50 yards. Second one ran about 100+ yards and took me a while to find in some dense brush. The deer I shot with the Hammers dropped in it's tracks and I didn't hit bone. Very impressed with the Hammers. That's a great combo. I've owned three LWS rifles with pencil-barrels now and they were all stupid accurate.

This year I'm shooting 139 LRX's out of my 7mm-08 and .284 Win and I'm very impressed with their long-range accuracy although I've yet to take a critter with them. I'm hoping for better expansion from the LRX than I got with the TTSX but I've been tempted to just go back to the Hammers anyway.

tonechaser88

Lil-Rokslider
Following, going to be doing a 7-08 soon. Let us know what ends up working for you!

OP
R

Ringtail

FNG
I've used both in the same rifle (LWS with 20" barrel). Both gave me excellent accuracy but the Hammers were easier to work up and gave me better velocity. They also put down the deer I shot with them faster than the 120 TTSX's. Both deer I shot with the TTSX's had a very small exit hole and both deer ran over 50 yards. Second one ran about 100+ yards and took me a while to find in some dense brush. The deer I shot with the Hammers dropped in it's tracks and I didn't hit bone. Very impressed with the Hammers. That's a great combo. I've owned three LWS rifles with pencil-barrels now and they were all stupid accurate.

This year I'm shooting 139 LRX's out of my 7mm-08 and .284 Win and I'm very impressed with their long-range accuracy although I've yet to take a critter with them. I'm hoping for better expansion from the LRX than I got with the TTSX but I've been tempted to just go back to the Hammers anyway.
I have followed several of your posts about this rifle and the good reviews are the sole reason I bought it. I am interested in your load work up for this rifle. I have h4350 and some 150 eldx is about all that I have been able to acquire. I am going to get the 120 hammer hunters also for a lower recoil for the wife and for deer. Does this gun like milder or hotter loads? I’ve also noticed it seems to have a short throat. It seems I can’t seat bullets past 2.770. Was that your experience? Any tips would be helpful. I would really like to make this gun a tack driver as well.

No problem. I had nothing but good luck with that 7mm-08 LWS straight from the factory. I've since put a custom barrel on it (I wanted a little heavier profile) but that factory barrel shot fantastic. H4350 is a good powder for the 7mm-08. And those 150 ELD-X's should shoot great too. That's a good combo. Just be sure to get those ELD-X's as close to the lands as you can and you'll be fine. Not sure about the 150's but the 120's I used liked to be run hot. I mean 3000+

Sorry to hear about the short throat though. That's a bit unfortunate. I only shot 120 TTSX and 131 Hammers in mine, so I never loaded them very long. Probably 2.75" or so. Coppers like to jump. Could be more of an issue with your ELD-X but there is only one way to know for sure right?

Hodgdon's load data for 7mm-08 is pretty close to my experience with 4350. Just use that and you should be just fine. If you want more speed from the 120's look at Big Game, Varget or my new favorite, IMR 4166. All really good for the lighter stuff.