7mm-08 elk round

So the 25-06 thread has me wondering about my 7mm-08 round. I drew a rifle elk tag this year and will be using my 7mm-08. I have 4 boxes of Federal Premium 140gr Barnes Triple-Shock. I have not killed anything with it, not really a rifle guy. I prefer to hunt archery or ML. Anyway, should I consider switching to a different load or will I be good? Don't plan to shoot over 350 yards or so. I know the caliber has its limitations on elk. I also have some Hornady Superformance 139gr SST that my wife is shooting. Watched her drop a cow elk at 200 yards with those. Only have 3/4 box left though so would have to buy more if it would be the better choice.

Also, broadside what would you consider max range with a 7-08?

hodgeman

WKR
I've done quite a bit of hunting with the 7-08, up to good sized caribou bulls. I'd think your 140gr TSX would be just fine.

Range is hotly debated, but if you're a bowhunter and black powder shooter- getting close enough shouldn't be a big problem. My personal cap is 300 or so but I get the warm fuzzies at half that. I shot a caribou with the 7-08 last year at 225 with a 140 Fusion, complete pass through and he dropped on the spot.

My wife also shoots the 139 sst. Although I load them for her.....and do all the prep work. So, she pretty much just pulls the trigger at go time....lol. anywho...they work. Abilities are the limiting factor more than the hardware....imo. your bullet is going to do the work if you can put it where it needs to be.

OP
MuleyFever
Yeah I get the abilities part. I am no newby to shooting, been doing it all my life, just prefer the bow or ML these days. Just don't know the details on rounds. I always hunted whitetail with my .270 and never had to question it.

Last edited:
Yeah I get the abilities part. I am no newby to shooting, been doing it all my life, just prefer the bow or ML these days. Just don't know the details on rounds. I always hunted whitetail with my .270 and never had to question it.

Good friend uses 120 gr ttsx. Zebra, kudu, Mulie's, sable etc. she can shoot!!

From experience I feel the TTSX does better faster and lighter then heavier and slower.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not a Barnes fan but if you like those and they shoot good, you'll be fine with the 140. Shot placement, shot placement and shot placement.:)

Randy

OP
MuleyFever
I'm not a Barnes fan but if you like those and they shoot good, you'll be fine with the 140. Shot placement, shot placement and shot placement.:)

Randy

I don't necessarily like them. I have never killed anything with them and only sighted in the gun with them. They shot good but nothing spectacular. I am obviously most concerned with bullet performance. So, when you say you are not a Barns fan does it have to do with performance like weight retention or they just didn't shoot well out of your gun?

GKPrice

Banned
if the Barnes factory load shoots merely "good" and you'd fell better with "spectacular" there are other 140's to try that are tried and true for elk and such critters - Nosler makes 2 standouts, 140 Accubond and Etip but the 7-08 is in that class of cartridge that will do nearly as will with a good old Sierra Pro Hunter or Game King and others in that class, I would also consider trying a Berger 140 Classic Hunter, at 7-08 velocities not many bullets will "explode"

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't necessarily like them. I have never killed anything with them and only sighted in the gun with them. They shot good but nothing spectacular. I am obviously most concerned with bullet performance. So, when you say you are not a Barns fan does it have to do with performance like weight retention or they just didn't shoot well out of your gun?

i prefer the devastating performance of the Bergers. I like the vital destuction (I am a vital guy) and don't care for the pass throughs. I have shot several elk and deer with the Barnes and they killed the animal but I've had to use a follow up shot on several animals which I rarely have to do with a Berger. Plus the fact that Bergers are way more accurate in my hand loads.

Randy

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So the 25-06 thread has me wondering about my 7mm-08 round. I drew a rifle elk tag this year and will be using my 7mm-08. I have 4 boxes of Federal Premium 140gr Barnes Triple-Shock. I have not killed anything with it, not really a rifle guy. I prefer to hunt archery or ML. Anyway, should I consider switching to a different load or will I be good? Don't plan to shoot over 350 yards or so. I know the caliber has its limitations on elk. I also have some Hornady Superformance 139gr SST that my wife is shooting. Watched her drop a cow elk at 200 yards with those. Only have 3/4 box left though so would have to buy more if it would be the better choice.

Also, broadside what would you consider max range with a 7-08?

Max range for any cartridge is determined by group size and minimum impact velocity for expansion. There is no secret to it.

As for the 140gr TSX- they, like all monumental bullets, feature a long, reletively narrow wound channel. Monometals in general work best with high velocity, and for that reason I would prefer the 120gr TTSX for the increased velocity and the tip to help iniatiate expansion. The 140gr TSX will work, however the "failure" with a TSX/TTSX's, ETip's, GMX's, etc. will be in lack of expansion- go light, go fast.

OP
MuleyFever
Max range for any cartridge is determined by group size and minimum impact velocity for expansion. There is no secret to it.

As for the 140gr TSX- they, like all monumental bullets, feature a long, reletively narrow wound channel. Monometals in general work best with high velocity, and for that reason I would prefer the 120gr TTSX for the increased velocity and the tip to help iniatiate expansion. The 140gr TSX will work, however the "failure" with a TSX/TTSX's, ETip's, GMX's, etc. will be in lack of expansion- go light, go fast.

So the Superformance SST in 139gr is only 50fps slower than the 120gr TTSX at the muzzle. Would the extra weight or the extra speed be better? Does 50 or 100 or 150 fps make that much of a difference? Looking at factory ammo they are all pretty close.

mtmuley

WKR
I wouldn't use an SST in a 7-08 for elk ever. You can't compare those two bullets. Totally different construction. Do yourself a favor. get some 140 Accubonds. mtmuley

Jimbob

WKR
I bought some 140 grn partitions for my sons 7mm-08. I would have purchased Accubonds (what I use in my 30-06) but store was all out. I am 100% confident the partitions will work.