7mm-08 for Alaska Bear

MrRogers

FNG
So I just booked a black bear hunt on Prince of Wales island for spring 2022. Would a rifle chambered in 7mm-08 be enough to handle those big black bears?

There is a long running thread about killing most large game with a 223 (great read) so a 7mm-08 with a quality bullet and proper shot placement will definitely work.

Wapiti151

WKR
Love my 7mm-08 and have been plenty confident with it for most things from whitetail/mule deer, to elk. Know your range/ballistics, put one in the right spot and it will do the job.

OP
MrRogers

MrRogers

FNG
Thank you for the responses, guys. My outfitter suggested something a lot larger, but I don't really want to buy a whole new setup that wouldn't get used all that much. I've got a few boxes of 140 grain Federal trophy bonded tips that I'll get dialed in here soon!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Not my first choice but I’m largely ignorant on the 7/08 as I’ve never shot one or even known anybody who had one.

Thank you for the responses, guys. My outfitter suggested something a lot larger, but I don't really want to buy a whole new setup that wouldn't get used all that much. I've got a few boxes of 140 grain Federal trophy bonded tips that I'll get dialed in here soon!
I'll buck the trend and say NO.

If you do so you must make a perfect shot, and not be put out if your guide throws in a follow up shot. Guides don't like to track bears, especially on POW where it can be an absolute jungle, and the wounding LAW says you are done if you touch the bear.

I have seen a few bears shot and lost with bigger magnums on POW. Of course shot placement is paramount. The draw back I see with a 7-08 (and I have one) is you will need to wait for an ideal shot. I would recommend a bigger bullet- not necessarily a bigger case. Something like a 338 fed or 358 win would be great, especially since the shot distance should be short. My 35 whelen does great for stopping stuff. I need to get one with my 9.3x 62 now!

I'll buck the trend and say NO.

If you do so you must make a perfect shot, and not be put out if your guide throws in a follow up shot. Guides don't like to track bears, especially on POW where it can be an absolute jungle, and the wounding LAW says you are done if you touch the bear.

I have seen a few bears shot and lost with bigger magnums on POW. Of course shot placement is paramount. The draw back I see with a 7-08 (and I have one) is you will need to wait for an ideal shot. I would recommend a bigger bullet- not necessarily a bigger case. Something like a 338 fed or 358 win would be great, especially since the shot distance should be short. My 35 whelen does great for stopping stuff. I need to get one with my 9.3x 62 now!
Bit of overkill for a black bear but shoot whatever tickles your fancy.

Bit of overkill for a black bear but shoot whatever tickles your fancy.
We have killed plenty of black bears and brownies, most with a bow, and know they are not thick skinned. That said POW has the biggest black bears around and a 7+' blackie with 20+" skull is not the same beast as run of the mill bears, even in the rest of AK. If your shot is off they are tough and do not bleed. POW is an absolute jungle with wet moss etc so tracking is hard. The Law states if you wound a bear you must punch your tag regardless.

So on a Guided POW hunt with a chance at a big booner bear I would much rather OVERKILL than Underkill..... why not bring the AR 223 like mentioned in another thread? 😆

150 ELD-X and the 139 SST have been absolute hammers out of our 7mm-08's. That's all we've been hunting with up here for two years now.
Where are you located? If you don’t mind, what game have you taken with the 7mm-08?

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Where are you located? If you don’t mind, what game have you taken with the 7mm-08?

Third generation Alaska resident raising fourth generation residents in Palmer, Alaska currently.

With the single shot 7-08's that we recently put together for the kids, they've taken 7-8 caribou, 3 sheep, 5 goats, and a smaller grizzly.

My daughter was 9 years old when she shot her first grizzly with a .270WIN. One shot dropped it like a ton of bricks.

Personally I've only killed one bear with a rifle, all the rest have been archery.

as.ks.ak

WKR
Black bears are tough....if you miss the vitals. Don’t shoot like an a$$hole and you won’t have a problem.

Don’t over think it. Use a good bullet and you’ll be fine. GMX, ELD-X, SST, etc.

Just more than anything, be sure you understand the anatomy of a bear and where the vitals sit. If I was you I’d take the gun you already own and use the money you’d otherwise spend on a new gun towards your POW taxidermy bill.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk