7mm-08 for elk?

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
You hunt with a .308 and are arguing against a 7-08... which is a necked down .308 with better ballistics and sectional densities. I'm interested in the mental gymnastics you've practiced to reach that conclusion.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
I am not arguing against anything, i am curious to see a quote of a post where i "argued against the 7-08". I am just saying that the 7-08 has its own charateristics and they must be taken into account. Pros and cons, as with any caliber, including the 308. Lower power means less recoil, less noise, in these cases also more barrel life. All this comes at a price as far as external and terminal ballistic and this must be taken into account, depending on the kind of hunting one does. This is OBVIOUS, no arguing against anything. I would use a 7-08 without issues for my kind of hunting, 308 is just more convenient for me for several reasons i don't wanna discuss because i am sure everything i would wrote would be misinterpreted so it's a loss of time. If i was hunting elks and i could put togheter a dedicated rifle, i would choose something more powerful than a 7-08 and a 308 for sure, especially if i would shoot past 400 yards. This is my opinion based on my knowledge and experience, you are totally free to disagree and make some points against what i said. My points are not that difficult to understand, if you are not able or willing to do so it's not my problem, i don't wanna convince anyone. If you are emotionally invested in 7-08 and my simple and obvious points hurt you, not my problem. Just accept the reality of things. The perfect caliber doesn't exists.

Many people on forums just look for arguing and interpret posts accordingly.

Last edited:

Gpw

FNG
My 14 year old just killed a cow with his. 150 grain cheapo bullet. Dropped it in its tracks at 275 yards

JustSeth

FNG
My 17 year old and my 15 year old sons both killed raghorn bulls this past fall. 17 year old used his 22" Tikka T3 in 7mm-08 with 145 grain LRX hand loads at 2804 fps and 15 year old used his 20" Browning X-Bolt with 150 grain ELD-X hand loads at 2712 fps. I was guiding so I wasn't with them, but they said that both bulls were shot twice at sub 75 yards. On both bulls, the first shot was a killing shot and the follow up was for insurance. Neither bull went more than 50 yards. The first LRX bullet exited after passing through the chest, the second was lodged just under the skin on the opposite side having passed through the shoulder blade, chest cavity and a rib. Both ELD-X bullets stopped in the chest cavity and no part of the bullets were recovered. My 17 year old also killed a 6' bear this past fall with the same LRX load at 90 yards. The bear spun once, then rolled downhill for 80 yards. I consider both loads to be adequate for elk out to 450 yards -- but clearly, we like getting close if we can.

THallock

FNG
I’m looking at a 7mm-08 as a dual purpose rifle. Looking for opinions about using this caliber for Elk.
Will work. I use a 308. Dropped down from a 300 win mag. Just shoot better with less recoil. I saw people in New Mexico with 270s and they had no problems. So go with if you like

JustSeth

FNG
this is the 7mm 145 grain LRX that we pulled out of my 17 year old son’s elk. Retained 99% weight too.

Attachments

• IMG_5777.jpeg
    IMG_5777.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 37

House21

FNG
140gr federal fusion did the job on a 5x5 at a little over 300 yards, dropped where he was standing

Absaroka

FNG
7mm-08 is a helluva good option. It makes good sense for a shorter and lighter rifle if you plan to hike long distances with it without needing a muzzle brake for recoil or a long barrel for muzzle velocity. You won't go wrong.

Jon Boy

WKR
7mm-08 is a helluva good option. It makes good sense for a shorter and lighter rifle if you plan to hike long distances with it without needing a muzzle brake for recoil or a long barrel for muzzle velocity. You won't go wrong.

I’m stepping back down to a 7/08 and building a rifle like you mentioned for all of those very reasons. Lighter and shorter rifle for my long walks with less recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Done almost all my hunting with a 7mm-08. Shot about 100 animals with it and I love it. It feels too small to me though but can't give it up, I feel like as long as you know a good shot is always needed go for it.