7mm-08 Remington Seven for all around mountain rifle

OP
W
Before you ditch the Tikka I have to ask- have you tried swapping out the recoil pad for a Limbsaver? I did on my T3x 7RM, and it made the recoil much more manageable.

Yeah, I have the limbsaver. It’s not brutal recoil, it’s just more than what I’m looking for. I’ve shot a few boxes of ammo through the Tikka and I think I’d do better with something a little less feisty.

cmahoney

WKR
Before you ditch the Tikka I have to ask- have you tried swapping out the recoil pad for a Limbsaver? I did on my T3x 7RM, and it made the recoil much more manageable.

I’ll second the recoil pad. Here is another option of you are somewhat handy and want to save on a new rifle purchase and FFL fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, I did the exact same thing.

Bought a brand-new Tikka T3x in '06, put on the Limbsaver pad, then loaded up full-strength (Superformance powder) 180-grain Accubonds. It shot great. I mean really great. 1/2-3/4 MOA at 300 yards routinely and outstanding velocity.

But at 6 lbs. 14 oz., that recoil was sharp. It didn't hurt, but it was enough that after a few months, I caught myself thinking about the recoil as I was squeezing the trigger. That's not good. I know how important it is to focus on the target and follow through, and that rifle combo was just enough to take my mind off that.

So what did I do? Almost exactly what you are proposing. I swapped that '06 Tikka for a T3 in 7mm-08, and I've never looked back. I shoot that rifle extremely well, and my 162-grain hand loads out of my 7mm-08 carry more energy than I need at distances further than I'm willing to shoot.

So I say go for it. If you want a Model 7 mountain rifle in 7mm-08, get one. You won't regret the decision.

Mattt

Lil-Rokslider
Yea if you throw grizz country in the mix that would change things for me, but maybe not as I always carry a pistol anyway. Agree on the 308 as it is my favorite all time sa, but the 708 gives up nothing with the right load.

Afhunter1

WKR
When I was 15 my dad bought me a SS model 7 7mm-08 to replace the youth model 7 6mm that I was shooting. I think I had a string of 20-25 deer that dropped in their tracks to that 7mm-08 until one finally took 3 steps before falling over. When my kids started to deer hunt I got them all SS 243 model 7's and they have been stacking nice deer as well. looking for 300-400 and closer this is a gun that wont let you down. I would say to try and pick up an older one used off of GB before buying a new one. All my older ones are moa or under all day.

my old 7mm-08 load was a 120NBT but I'd go 140 accubond for above deer.

N2TRKYS

WKR
When I was 15 my dad bought me a SS model 7 7mm-08 to replace the youth model 7 6mm that I was shooting. I think I had a string of 20-25 deer that dropped in their tracks to that 7mm-08 until one finally took 3 steps before falling over. When my kids started to deer hunt I got them all SS 243 model 7's and they have been stacking nice deer as well. looking for 300-400 and closer this is a gun that wont let you down. I would say to try and pick up an older one used off of GB before buying a new one. All my older ones are moa or under all day.

my old 7mm-08 load was a 120NBT but I'd go 140 accubond for above deer.

Nothing wrong with the new ones, either. I've bought 2 new Model Sevens over the last couple of years with no issues.

OXN939

WKR
Yeah, I have the limbsaver. It’s not brutal recoil, it’s just more than what I’m looking for. I’ve shot a few boxes of ammo through the Tikka and I think I’d do better with something a little less feisty.

Man anyone who says 7mm-08 isn't enough round is probably not a very good shot. Mine has dropped Caribou, Whitetails, Blacktails, Antelope, Feral pigs etc right where they stand. This dude looked around, took a step, and fell over. 140 gr. Nosler E Tip.

IMG_1462.JPG

No question that a 7-08 is plenty for anything caribou and down.
Now I know it would do the job on an elk, but I'd take more for elk. JMO.

OXN939

WKR
No question that a 7-08 is plenty for anything caribou and down.
Now I know it would do the job on an elk, but I'd take more for elk. JMO.

I'd take a 7mm-08 I can shoot really well over a .30-06 with punishing recoil 1000 out of 1000 times. If most of your mental real estate during your trigger squeeze sequence is devoted to thinking about the amount of pain you're about to experience, accuracy will be low. Seems to be gist behind OP's move here. Just providing my two real-world cents that 7mm-08 is a plenty potent cartridge for his intended use.

I'd take a 7mm-08 I can shoot really well over a .30-06 with punishing recoil 1000 out of 1000 times. If most of your mental real estate during your trigger squeeze sequence is devoted to thinking about the amount of pain you're about to experience, accuracy will be low. Seems to be gist behind OP's move here. Just providing my two real-world cents that 7mm-08 is a plenty potent cartridge for his intended use.

Wouldn’t argue with you a bit.
I’m just saying that I can deal with more recoil and therefore would choose my 300 for elk.
But I have no question I could kill an elk with my 7-08 Mtn rifle.

Sorry. Sometimes one of these posts goes for a while and we forget what the OP was asking and we get off on tangents.

So that being said, to the OP: the 7-08 would be a great choice for an all around Mtn rifle.
Grab one up and be sure and let us know how well it works for ya.

howl

WKR
The Model Seven with 20" is a very handy form factor. I'm a .260 fan because I'd want a 120gr bullet to make it more manageable in recoil. That's where the .260 shines. Also, you get a little more barrel around the hole. If you're figuring 140gr: 7mm08.

A trim scope in a sleek mount suits the rig best.

7mm -08 is nearly an ideal hunting cartridge. Loaded with 140 Nosler Partition.

I like mine. Built it off a 700 action.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I placed an order for a TIkka T3X Lite Compact with 20” and was notified it was a misprint and has a 24” barrel.
They offered the 20” barrel in 7mm-08 for a reduced price and might go with it. After reviewing ballistics it looks like a great round. Anyone tried the Hornady 150gr ELDX?
I had a custom Model 7 years ago in .243.....a Model 7 in 7-08 seems like a great choice.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I placed an order for a TIkka T3X Lite Compact with 20” and was notified it was a misprint and has a 24” barrel.
They offered the 20” barrel in 7mm-08 for a reduced price and might go with it. After reviewing ballistics it looks like a great round. Anyone tried the Hornady 150gr ELDX?
I had a custom Model 7 years ago in .243.....a Model 7 in 7-08 seems like a great choice.

I and buddies have spent significant amounts of money building M7’s- stocks, barrels, triggers, etc, etc. A T3 is objectively a measurably better rifle even over a built M7 (or 700).

A compact T3x in 7mm-08 with 150gr ELD-X amd a good scope is a great setup.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
How do you like the 7mm-08 compared to the 6.6CM?
Seems like it is just as if not more versatile than the 6.5 and just as flat out to 400 yards.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
How do you like the 7mm-08 compared to the 6.6CM?
Seems like it is just as if not more versatile than the 6.5 and just as flat out to 400 yards.

There’s no versatility difference. People that claim somehow it matters haven’t killed much with either. There are zero NA mammals that I would think twice about hunting with a 6.5 Creedmoor. Or 7mm-08.

If you are open to it (and you should be), there isn’t any logical reason to go any way but 6.5 Creedmoor. There’s about four times as much factory ammo, most of that ammo is match quality, and it’s generally cheap and readily available. I’ve had all three rifles talked about- 7mm-08 in M7 amd T3, amd 6.5 in T3’s.

I do not have the 7mm-08’s any longer. The only reason I have M7’s at all is for sentimental reasons.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I’m very open to the 6.5CM and in fact was my first choice and was what I ordered. Unfortunately they were out and offered an 7-08 at a nice discount. I haven’t decided but most likely will search elsewhere for the 6.5.
Thanks for the information regarding readily available ammo choices....