7mm-08?

Lowndes

FNG
Help me understand this caliber better.

I first really learned about this caliber when folks told me to get it instead of a .243 for my son (8) because of its low recoil but much better performance.

I have a .270 now and am purchasing a new rifle for an elk/Mule deer hunt next year. I was set on getting a .300 win mag but several folks have said I should really consider the 7mm-08 for this hunt.

I’m confused as seems odd that a gun that a lot of people recommend replacing a .243 with is considered such a great elk gun. If it makes a difference I’ll probably get a M70 extreme weather.

Last edited:

CJF

WKR
.308 win, .243 win, and 7mm08 rem are all built from the same parent case....the .308 win, but necked to different calibers. It's a fully capable elk/mule deer cartridge but will not produce the same energy as the .300 win mag.

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my 7mm-08's, I don't like recoil. They shoot 140-160 grain bullets well, and I wouldn't hesitate to use one for elk at reasonable ranges. That being said a 270 and a 7mm-08 are so similar in nearly every aspect but action length, it really doesn't make sense to have both.

If recoil doesn't bother you, get the 300 win mag. It is different enough from what you already have to be noticable.

Help me understand this caliber better.

I first really learned about this caliber when folks told me to get it instead of a .243 for my son (8) because of its low recoil but much better performance.

I have a .270 now and am purchasing a new rifle for an elk/Mule deer hunt next year. I was set on getting a .300 win mag but several folks have said I should really consider the 7mm-08 for this hunt.

I’m confused as seems odd that a gun that a lot of people recommend replacing a .243 with is considered such a great elk gun. If it makes a difference I’ll probably get a M70 extreme weather.

Here’s a long post I did on New Years Day. Plenty of numbers in there for you.

For what it’s worth, the 270 is plenty of gun for elk and deer. And I have three kids under ten and would probably choose a 243 over a 7 mm-08, especially since you’ll have to get a youth model.

OP
L

Lowndes

FNG
Here’s a long post I did on New Years Day. Plenty of numbers in there for you.

For what it’s worth, the 270 is plenty of gun for elk and deer. And I have three kids under ten and would probably choose a 243 over a 7 mm-08, especially since you’ll have to get a youth model.

Thanks - very interesting. Makes me think I should just use my .270 and save my money. My limit on shooting an animal is 300 yards so not sure even a .300 win mag gains me that much.

mt100gr.

WKR
Thanks - very interesting. Makes me think I should just use my .270 and save my money. My limit on shooting an animal is 300 yards so not sure even a .300 win mag gains me that much.
Save that money! Your 270 will do everything you need it to at and beyond your 300 yard limit. Buy a big pile of the ammo your rifle prefers and make a point to shoot it often.

elkguide

WKR
I love the 7mm08 and have a couple BUT when I hunt elk, I always grab a .300 because I seem to always end up with a less than perfect shot. I've shot elk with a .270 and they went down. A 7-08 only gives you a short action and the option to reload a heavier bullet over the .270.

howl

WKR
7mm08 is about like a short action .270. The only reason I can think of for you to get one is if you want a backup rifle. Otherwise, burn out that 270 barrel and spend the money on more barrels.

Motown

WKR
As far as your son is concerned I started off mine with a 243 when he was 6 years old. Once he turned 9 and grew a bit I realized that he can comfortably handle a bit more recoil. Since I am a Tikka nut I of course had to get him a T3X compact that fits him perfectly!

He has shot the Hornady Reduced Recoil rounds the past year and it is still pushing a 120 grn SST at 2600fps which is more than enough for deer and he has killed few with zero issues. This rifle topped with a 2-7 leupy will group around 3/4" at 100 which is fine with me. This year I will be hand loading for him but sticking with 120 grain ballistic tips pushed around 2900 fps.

DRUSS

WKR
having a 270 Winchester and a 300 win mag as a 2 gun setup would cover most of what we have for big game in north America. IMO.
I do believe that if I had the 270 then my next purchase might not be the 7-08 just because of how similar those number would be, unless you were just trying to build another great all around type hunting rifle on a short action and were trying to save more weight.
I do have each of these 3 rounds and don't feel under gunned for antelope, deer, black bear, and elk.

LNF150

FNG
About 10 yrs ago a friend mentioned the 7mm-08 because my former wife drew a NM cow elk tag. Bought a Rem. 700 in that caliber for her go elk hunting with. She harvested this cow with one shot @ 235 yds with a 120 gr. nbt/38.5 gr. IMR 4895.

Kim's NM Elk.JPG

This year I used my T3x 7mm-08 to take this 8 pt using the same bullet with a little extra H4895 to send it on its way about the same distance.

2019 buck III.jpg

I know there are plenty of other cartridges out there that will do the same on big game. In fact most of my KS deer before I latched onto the 7mm-08 were killed with bow, muzzleloader, 243, 30-06, plus one done in with a 6.5 creedmoor. Looking back, I wish I'd known about the 7mm-08 earlier in my hunting career because it is all I rifle hunt with now. Reloading is straight forward; it uses many very common rifle powders plus the variety of 7mm bullets are close to the same league as 30 caliber bullets.

OXN939

WKR
Second the above opinions that a 7mm-08 is redundant if you have a .270. That said, my "do everything" setup is a Remington Mountain SS in 7mm-08 wearing a Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x42, and it has done everything from coyotes to Blacktail to Caribou to Whitetail exceptionally well. If you did want a backup, it's a great caliber that, compared to your .270, will be lighter, kick less and achieve very similar performance inside normal hunting distances.

OP
L

Lowndes

FNG
Did a bunch of men suggest that a guy not buy another gun? 😄

Well - I don’t have great self control. I went to a gun store to check out rifles for my son and ended up buying two guns today. I got a Model 70 Compact in 7mm-08 for my son as his first rifle (his birthday is in a few weeks) and bought the Model 70 Extreme Weather in .300 Win Mag for myself.

With my .270 and .300 Win Mag I feel I’m covered for anything I might hunt and my son has a rifle he can grow into that covers him from whitetail on up to antelope, mule deer and elk as he starts hunting more.

Good info here. Im not a fan of recoil and the informative replies told me to buy a new gun, so thanks!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
Well - I don’t have great self control. I went to a gun store to check out rifles for my son and ended up buying two guns today. I got a Model 70 Compact in 7mm-08 for my son as his first rifle (his birthday is in a few weeks) and bought the Model 70 Extreme Weather in .300 Win Mag for myself.

With my .270 and .300 Win Mag I feel I’m covered for anything I might hunt and my son has a rifle he can grow into that covers him from whitetail on up to antelope, mule deer and elk as he starts hunting more.

Both you and your son should be very happy with your new rifles!

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider

Smart man.👍