7mm Accuracy

I have a Remington model 700 SPS 7mm Mag with 26" barrel it has always had hand loads shot through it and I have noticed that in the last year I can't get it to group as well as when it was new. When new I was getting 1" groups @ 100 yards. I am now getting 2" to 3" groups @ 100 yards. Gun is stock ans I have adjusted trigger to 3 lbs pull since getting larger groups with no difference.

I have had the gun for about 8 years and have shot an estimated 300 rounds. I started out with Hornady interbond and during the obama administration those became scarce and I moved to SSTs.

Specs as follows...
Burris 4.5-14x42 fullfield II scope w/Leupold std rings and bases.
Stock gun mentioned above, torqued action to 35 in lbs (I think-whatever is recommended) synthetic stock.

Load is same as always except bullet is now SST versus Interbond.
154 grain bullet, cci large mag primer, IMR 4831 61 grains. I trickle powder and use a hornady OAL guage to set bullet depth at the lands.

I have a few friends who have the same scope and have had trouble with similar caliber rifles.

Any ideas what to do? I am thinking try a new stock with aluminum pillar bed and free floated barrel (I prefer synthetic for weight), new trigger, maybe new scope or send in mine for replacement.

Last edited:
I doubt the scope is the issue as long as the mounts are torqued properly.
I'd look at the barrel, copper fouling?
That's where I'd start.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Changing anything in a setup can change accuracy in a big way. Each gun seems to have it's own personality, and will reflect that depending on changes you make to it.

I have a 7 mag that absolutely hates having a clean barrel. If I scrub it with copper cleaner and get it sparkly clean, it will open up to 2-3" groups at 100. After about 50-60 rounds of fouling it's back to one hole groups. So I don't clean that gun ever now.......until the groups start to open up from there. Then I'll start over with the cleaning and fouling until it's good again.

gumbl3

WKR
I'd start with a good cleaning and then look for contact in the fore-end.

May have to play around with seating depth and charge since you changed bullets

Check the action screws and the crown for damage. Clean barrel with Wipe Out or something similar, check groups.

I too wonder if the bullet change is your problem. Get some Interbonds and try them with the old reliable load.

WKR
All of the above but very possibly the scope too. Try the other stuff and if still an issue, put another proven scope on it.

cooperjd

WKR
did you add a bipod or anything?

i had a bone stock R700 7mag that shot ok, put a bipod on it and it got horrible.

i put it in a bell and carlson full aluminum block stock, used 'ernie the gunsmiths' spacers to free float the action and barrel, and bedded it..dug out the barrel channel a bit to get it really free floating...and it shoots sub moa now with the same ammo.

wapitibob

WKR
I 2nd "ernie's" stuff.
For grins and practice, you can get his pillars and practice bedding that plastic stock. Add some plastic steel to the forearm pockets to stiffen it up as well. A dremmel will carve it out so you can bed it again.
I believe a C battery with some 80 grit was about right for my barrel channel when I did mine. When you have the bedding down, drop it in a better stock like cooperjd did above.

Try some 160 gr. Accubonds with IMR4831 or H4831SC powder!! Guys have given you some sound advise. Just have to try and track it down. Best of luck.

Any damage to the muzzle crown? Maybe switch scopes before getting real involved with bedding, although doing a bedding job and free floating the barrel definitely couldn't hurt.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Do you shoot lots of multi shot strings? I know having done some readings on the super overbore RUMS that accuracy can start falling off hard as fast as 200rds down the pipe if you get it hot enough.

I would strip the barrel out with copper solvent and start from scratch!

Also, check out Ballistic studies online. Nathan Foster has some pretty epic info on restoring accuracy to rifles, maybe try his Autosol lapping technique to breathe some life back into it.

OP
C
Thanks for the responses.

I don't shoot it much, when I do it will be 3 or 4 shots at a time for a total of 20 to 30 rounds with 5-10 minutes between groups. It gets pretty warm and it seems like it gets worse the hotter the barrel gets. I did finally find some interbonds and will try loading them again. I can't say it was the bullets for sure, it seems like this has been a gradual change. I have not been using a bipod while getting groups, but occassionally will put one on it if I feel like packing the extra weight hunting.

Yes the sps stock has a pressure point on the front of the stock, kinda why I want something else.

I will try cleaning it well, I don't clean the barrel as much as I probably should. The crown looks good to me, no nicks or anything visible. I have hoppes solvent, is it good enough for copper fouling or do I need something else?

Last edited:

GKPrice

Banned
I have a Remington model 700 SPS 7mm Mag with 26" barrel it has always had hand loads shot through it and I have noticed that in the last year I can't get it to group as well as when it was new. When new I was getting 1" groups @ 100 yards. I am now getting 2" to 3" groups @ 100 yards. Gun is stock ans I have adjusted trigger to 3 lbs pull since getting larger groups with no difference.

I have had the gun for about 8 years and have shot an estimated 300 rounds. I started out with Hornady interbond and during the obama administration those became scarce and I moved to SSTs.

Specs as follows...
Burris 4.5-14x42 fullfield 2 scope w/signature rings
Stock gun mentioned above, torqued action to 35 in lbs (I think-whatever is recommended) synthetic stock.

Load is same as always except bullet is now SST versus Interbond.
154 grain bullet, cci large mag primer, IMR 4831 61 grains. I trickle powder and use a hornady OAL guage to set bullet depth at the lands.

I have a few friends who have the same scope and have had trouble with similar caliber rifles.

Any ideas what to do? I am thinking try a new stock with aluminum pillar bed and free floated barrel (I prefer synthetic for weight), new trigger, maybe new scope or send in mine for replacement.

I assume you bought it NIB 8 years back ? there was an "era" with Remington that 8 years ago falls into when a person never knew what to expect when his Remington arrived - all above mentioned possibilities have merit but it might just be a barrel with less that optimal steel or the rifling may have been poor - '98 or '99 I was standing in Al's Gun Shop in Verboort OR BS'ing with Stan as he pulled a customer ordered 700 25.06 from it's box, with the new bolt in one hand he looked down the barrel then handed it to me and while smirking, asked me "see anything wrong ?" - I looked, no rifling - not knocking your rifle, just sayin' that anything could be a culprit here - if the throat is eroded you have an extra 2" or so to set the barrel back and rechamber too

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the responses.

I don't shoot it much, when I do it will be 3 or 4 shots at a time for a total of 20 to 30 rounds with 5-10 minutes between groups. It gets pretty warm and it seems like it gets worse the hotter the barrel gets. I did finally find some interbonds and will try loading them again. I can't say it was the bullets for sure, it seems like this has been a gradual change. I have not been using a bipod while getting groups, but occassionally will put one on it if I feel like packing the extra weight hunting.

Yes the sps stock has a pressure point on the front of the stock, kinda why I want something else.

I will try cleaning it well, I don't clean the barrel as much as I probably should. The crown looks good to me, no nicks or anything visible. I have hoppes solvent, is it good enough for copper fouling or do I need something else?

No man, Hoppes is pretty weak on the spectrum of copper removal.

Go buy some Sweets 762 or the best "Wipe Out" its a foaming cleaner you let sit in the bore a couple hours. I have never seen patches come out so blue as when I first used wipe out on an old rifle, it strips copper hard.

GKPrice

Banned
No man, Hoppes is pretty weak on the spectrum of copper removal.

Go buy some Sweets 762 or the best "Wipe Out" its a foaming cleaner you let sit in the bore a couple hours. I have never seen patches come out so blue as when I first used wipe out on an old rifle, it strips copper hard.

Wipe Out comes in solvent form also, best damn bore cleaner I've ever used - WEAR RUBBER GLOVES