7mm Barrel Selection

OP
J
If you want light weight get a defiance anTi for sure.
I recently built a 7wsm on the anTi long action with a 22" fluted #5 benchmark barrel.
It weighs 6.4lbs minus the suppressor and scope. Its insanely accurate, I've put 4 consecutive sub 2.5" groups up at 800 yards.
I'd look into the Bartlein 3b contour, sounds like it'd meet your needs perfect.
Here's the 7 wsm with yesterday's coyote
Edit:
If you really want cf you can get a proof prefit in 7 saum for the defiance action for $800.
it'll take a long time though
View attachment 246061
Huge thanks for all your patience and info! I've been eyeballing those actions real hard and hearing the positive review all but solidifies that decision. That's right around the weight I'd like to end up at which should be pretty easy with a their medium (700 SA) or XM length action even with the 24" tube. Going with the smaller profile steel barrel should let me run a touch narrower stock profile than would be required for a CF tube as well. Hmm now you've got me thinking. With the XM length I could run a straight SAUM, simplifying brass and reamer acquisition and never having to worry about mag length restrictions even with the longest of bullets.

Huge thanks for all your patience and info! I've been eyeballing those actions real hard and hearing the positive review all but solidifies that decision. That's right around the weight I'd like to end up at which should be pretty easy with a their medium (700 SA) or XM length action even with the 24" tube. Going with the smaller profile steel barrel should let me run a touch narrower stock profile than would be required for a CF tube as well. Hmm now you've got me thinking. With the XM length I could run a straight SAUM, simplifying brass and reamer acquisition and never having to worry about mag length restrictions even with the longest of bullets.
That'd be sweet in the Xm length.
If you're wanting the extra speed consider the 7 wsm as well, I get 3000 with 180's and 2850 with the 195 from a 22" barrel.
Custom throated of course

OP
J
If you're wanting the extra speed consider the 7 wsm as well, I get 3000 with 180's and 2850 with the 195 from a 22" barrel.
That's impressive and would certainly get the job done! I've heard mixed reviews on brass quality for the WSM. What's your experience been?

That's impressive and would certainly get the job done! I've heard mixed reviews on brass quality for the WSM. What's your experience been?
I'm using Hornady brass and I'm on 10 loadings so far with a few that I've been shooting over and over.
I've only trimmed twice which is the beauty of a 35 degree shoulder.
Good consistent brass if you don't push the pressure super high.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That's awesome. Love me some 180 at 3000 fps. The WSM is very good with the heavier pills.

Look at the Sherman Short and Sherman Max. You get ADG brass.

I run my Sherman Short in my short action at 3050 in a 26" tube. I am going to build a 22" barrel too. Should be around 2950 or more. My fire form loads were just a little slower but just as accurate, but Rich is getting fully formed cases now. I bought a reamer for my smith, it should be coming soon, hopefully.

A Sherman Max would run with the WSM and shoot factory 7 SAUM in a pinch. You get ADG brass.

That's awesome. Love me some 180 at 3000 fps. The WSM is very good with the heavier pills.

Look at the Sherman Short and Sherman Max. You get ADG brass.

I run my Sherman Short in my short action at 3050 in a 26" tube. I am going to build a 22" barrel too. Should be around 2950 or more. My fire form loads were just a little slower but just as accurate, but Rich is getting fully formed cases now. I bought a reamer for my smith, it should be coming soon, hopefully.

A Sherman Max would run with the WSM and shoot factory 7 SAUM in a pinch. You get ADG brass.
Fully formed cases?
Formed from the factory or fire formed for an expensive markup?
If there were factory produces cases that didn't need formed the Sherman's would be a lot more appealing to me.
I had a 30 Sherman mag and I only got 50 fps over the standard 300prc, I hated screwing with fire forming especially for such a small gain.

I sold it and am going 30 nosler, after a few wildcats I'm just tired of the extra headaches they cause..

SDHNTR

WKR
I have customs with a Rem Sporter contour, Bart 2b, Bart 3, Benchmark 4, and Bart 3b. They are all very accurate. For the best blend of heat resistance and portability though, I like the Bart 3 or Bench 4 (pretty similar), both fluted. As long as you aren’t rapid firing, heat is a non issue. Just be sensible. I think carbon barrels are a fad. I don’t see any practical advantage. You can easily build a 6.5-7# gun out of a quality #3-4 contour steel barrel. Imo, you don’t want any lighter if you actually value shootability.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Fully formed cases?
Formed from the factory or fire formed for an expensive markup?
If there were factory produces cases that didn't need formed the Sherman's would be a lot more appealing to me.
I had a 30 Sherman mag and I only got 50 fps over the standard 300prc, I hated screwing with fire forming especially for such a small gain.

I sold it and am going 30 nosler, after a few wildcats I'm just tired of the extra headaches they cause..
He has some fully formed 7 SS, no fireforming needed. Its a premium cost, but the cost for my perfect hunting rifle is inconsequential in the scheme of things.

But, too bad I got 250 of his old stuff that needed fireforming. Still have 100 that is not yet formed.

I broke down and finally tried a carbon barrel (Bartelin). I’ve shot Brux and Bartelin Steel barrels for years and so far this carbon barrel is preforming just like my regular steel barrels