7mm bullets

Mckinnon

WKR
I am looking for a good 175 gr Round Nose bullet to shoot out of my 7x57mm mauser. I had a hornady turn to shrapnel this weekend. Any suggestions?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I think the 7 Mauser is at its best with a 140 grain "hard" bullet like the Barnes TTSX or Nosler Accubond.

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
TwoTikkas, blacktail deer in the chest, the bullet pretty much evaporated. BB, I am planning on trying both of those, i have had trouble in the past with sptitzer style bullets in this gun, I will just have to try a bunch of different loads and see what I see. I have never used the TTSX but have heard allot about it, do you like it/recommend it on game?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Rock 2.0,

My current hunting load for the 7-08 (similar performance to the Mauser) is the 140 TTSX. I have killed a large mule deer buck and an antelope with it, and it performed great.

I have also killed a mule deer buck and antelope with the 140 Accubond out of the same gun.

I would not hesitate to shoot even a fully mature bull elk with either load.

In my experience, accubonds like to be near the lands, while TTSX prefer about .05 jump.

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
prettty much agree with BB I have a 7mm-08 that is loaded with 140 accubonds but I say see what gives you the best accuracy I might also suggest the Nosler Partition if the boat tail design is the difference I know you said spitzer but had a 280 that shot like crap with a boattail but performed flawless with the partitions just a thought

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
Alright, I will go pick some up this weekend and try them out. Thanks for the info guys

I have been shooting 140gr Nosler Partitions exclusively in my Mod 98 Mauser 7x57.
I will be the first to admit that a lot of you have a lot more experience shooting game than I do, but I have never recovered a bullet from game shot with this rifle. It has taken whitetails, muleys and a handful of plains game in South Africa. My handloads run at about 2700 fps and will shoot under an inch if I do my job. I shoot the same load with Nosler Ballistic Tips for practice, as they will shoot to the same point of impact in my rifle at half the cost.

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
Sounds great Heather Stomper. Thanks for the input, mind if I ask what powder your running?

JasonWi

WKR
Keep an eye on Shooters pro shop. You can purchase "2nds" for way cheaper.

I shoot the 160 AB in my 7mm and have killed 3 bulls with it under 100 yards. Nice big holes, very minimal bloodshot.

I really like the AB, I'd recommend that bullet without hesitation. I've also killed deer and antelope with the TSX and NP, both work great.