7mm General purpose rifle

ZRob97

Lil-Rokslider
I’m sure I’m beating a dead horse with this one but looking at buying a higher end (1500$+) rifle for an all purpose big game rifle. I’m a big fan of the Christensen ridgeline and am pretty set on it but still debating what caliber. It’s main use will be for mule deer and elk out in Arizona with some pronghorn and black bear mixed in.

I’ve narrowed my calibers down to 7mm-08 and 7mm rem mag. Would I be better off with the magnum taking 500-600 yrd shots? The magnum version of the rifle is just a few ounces heavier and has a 26” barrell instead of a 24” for the 7mm-08.

Thanks and appreciate any advice-

The 7mm mag will be ideal for the elk and bear, the 7mm-08 is ideal for the deer and antelope. I'd go 7 mag if I could only have one of the two, especially talking about 500-600 yard shots

J Dubaya

FNG
I am also looking at the Ridgeline TI, but I am going 28 Nosler. I have a 300 WSM abolt already. I am just looking for slightly better ballistics out at 6-850yds.. just my 2 pennies worth...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
ZRob97

ZRob97

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely looked at the 28 Nosler but price and availability for me steered me towards the other two cartridges. Another awesome round tho

I am also looking at the Ridgeline TI, but I am going 28 Nosler. I have a 300 WSM abolt already. I am just looking for slightly better ballistics out at 6-850yds.. just my 2 pennies worth...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

wildcat33

WKR
Christiansen has some nice chamberings in that rifle. I’d second 280ai based on what you said. In that rifle the 270wsm appeals to me with the 24” barrel, save 2” over the 280 and 7mag.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Either will work if the trigger actuator nut doesn't malfunction. What is a higher priority for you less recoil, cheaper to reload and better barrel life or lots of factory ammo support and flatter trajectories with the added bonus of more likely to source 1f brass for free?

I have the Ridgeline in 7 mag & I love it. It's perfect for what you describe & "standard" ammo is a plus in the current environment we find ourselves in.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
I have both calibers in different rifles and agree with several of the comments above. I enjoy shooting the 7mm-08, it's fun and accurate. Reloading for it has been easy, and it uses a lot less powder than the 7RM. Seems very forgiving in choosing a good load as well.
My 7RM has killed multiple elk. Without a doubt the power and flat shooting are big advantages with this caliber. I have not put my son behind this rifle yet, but he shoots the 7mm-08 great. I have found that both ammo is readily available under normal circumstances, but the 7RM usually has better selection. This may be a moot point if hand loading (I do both).
Neither of my rifles have muzzle brakes. Are you thinking you'd use a muzzle brake (for practice and/or hunting)? If so, the recoil of the 7RM might be perfectly fine. If not, you may find that the recoil of the 7RM is heavy, perhaps not. I believe those CA Ridgelines have good stocks and butt pads, and may handle the recoil much better than my M70 Featherweight with a near solid brown pad. Given the distances you're talking, I think 7RM is the answer. Bring it in a couple hundred yds and the 7mm-08 may be a solid choice. Or, buy both :)

Bigger is better if you can handle the recoil (accuracy first)- you can always "over kill" a coues deer, but it would suck to "under kill" an elk o_O .

I agree with this... I watched a cow elk take multiple poor shots from a 338 win mag. She ran for many miles in snow, it was a bad experience overall

On the other hand I’ve shot 4 elk in two years with my 270 win, ranging from 150yards to over 500 yards. No issues

Caliber size is a consideration but shot placement trumps everything. OP: Don’t buy too large of a caliber that you develop poor shooting techniques (flinching)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BjornF16

WKR
280AI in 24" or 22" barrel.

My second choice would be 7mm-08 in 24, 22 or 20" barrel.

Both more than capable to 500 yds.

I have Kimber MA in 280AI, and Tikka T3X in 7mm-08 for my 7mm tools.

Read the first few posts and was thinking 280AI in the .284 bullet...then see that a bunch of others have said the same. The mention above on the 270WSM wouldn't be bad choice either, but I would still go with the 280AI and shoot 160-175gr bullets.

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Stainless .280 Remington Mountain Rifle. Replaced the trigger and put Talleys and a Zeiss 3X9 on it and it has killed about everything I've pointed at. I think I got lucky as I got one that shot about 1" prior to the trigger change. Now it is a .75" or better, conservatively, as I am no expert shot. I bought a ton of ammo a few years back for it so I don't hand load for it. That rifle has killed a ton of pigs, with some being legit 300 LB pigs out at Tejon in one shot. I know everyone is in love with the AI, but I get over 3000 FPS with Hornady GMX and 2900 with Barnes TTSX box ammo. Given the accuracy, no need for improvement for me. The .280 never gets any love so I had to toss it in as an alternative option. If you hand load, you can push that with larger projectiles for Elk if necessary. But, if you want a short action, then the 7MM-08 is a great call, too.

I’m confused, Why is that the black and white correct answer? The 280AI will do everything the 7RM will do without a magnum cartridge/bolt face, less powder, and less recoil.

It would seem that he spend a lot of money on a rifle chambered in 7 mag and that’s why it’s the best lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EmperorMA

WKR
My two favorite 7mm cartridges both fizzled commercially, and it’s a shame.
The .284 Win is basically a .270 Win in a short action. It handles the very effective 120-160gr 7mm bullets quite well and is a joy to shoot. It is close to being a perfect hunting cartridge out to 600 yards. Too bad it is nearly obsolete for all but the most ardent hand loaders.

The 7mm RSAUM just might be THE perfect hunting cartridge. Even easier to fit in a short action, it also has a bit more horsepower than the .284 and can handle the heavy 175-180 class bullets beautifully. It is still well within reasonable recoil levels, as well. It’s just become a pain in the ass to find brass and you can almost forget it if you need to find factory ammo in a hurry.

For your purposes, it’s hard to argue against the 7mm Rem Mag. It checks all the boxes.