7mm General purpose rifle

KyleM4130

Lil-Rokslider
7mm rem mag. It can be loaded up or down depending on the intended use. I shoot mine out to a mile using 183gr SMK’s and can load it all the way down to 140gr if needed. It’s really versatile. 280AI is also a great choice, but I prefer a magnum for the more oomph over the 280 AI. To bridge that gap and retain a standard 30-06 bolt face, a 280 Sherman would be a great choice. It’s basically an AI that has been further improved.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have a Weatherby Vanguard RC 300 WM, and I am going to upgrade to a custom rifle next year. The 7mm RM (180 grain Berger Hunting VLD) and 300 WM (200 grain Hornady ELD-X) are very close ballistically, but I can save a little on the recoil side with a 7mm RM.

Last edited:

TDL

FNG
Glad I got the answer right. 7mm rem mag. Trophy does don’t stand a chance

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
I have rifles chambered in 7-08, 280 and 7mm Rem Mag. I’ve used all three extensively over the past 25 years or so. The 7-08 is the only one I used this year. It is a very capable round and a pleasure to shoot. It gives up very little to the 7mm Rem Mag, but makes a lot less noise.

I have rifles chambered in 7-08, 280 and 7mm Rem Mag. I’ve used all three extensively over the past 25 years or so. The 7-08 is the only one I used this year. It is a very capable round and a pleasure to shoot. It gives up very little to the 7mm Rem Mag, but makes a lot less noise.

From the numbers I’ve ran, the 7mm mag has much more ft lbs of energy at all hunting ranges. But recoil on the 7mm mag is a fair amount more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
TH- The recoil is negligible with any of the three I list, but the muzzle blast of the 7mm RM is quite unpleasant to my ears. I know what the numbers are with the 7-08 vs 7mm RM, but I haven’t noticed any real difference in performance on game. And yes, I have used both on a pile of game, including elk.
Clearly, the 7-08, 280 and 7mm RM are all fine cartridges, but I really like the 7-08.

My two favorite 7mm cartridges both fizzled commercially, and it’s a shame.
The .284 Win is basically a .270 Win in a short action. It handles the very effective 120-160gr 7mm bullets quite well and is a joy to shoot. It is close to being a perfect hunting cartridge out to 600 yards. Too bad it is nearly obsolete for all but the most ardent hand loaders.

The 7mm RSAUM just might be THE perfect hunting cartridge. Even easier to fit in a short action, it also has a bit more horsepower than the .284 and can handle the heavy 175-180 class bullets beautifully. It is still well within reasonable recoil levels, as well. It’s just become a pain in the ass to find brass and you can almost forget it if you need to find factory ammo in a hurry.

For your purposes, it’s hard to argue against the 7mm Rem Mag. It checks all the boxes.

Man, I have (historically) found it pretty easy to find 7 SAUM brass. I have R-P, Bertram, Norma, and ADG on hand (although 2 of those were used for making 6.5 SAUM brass). It seems to be catching on pretty good lately with custom rifles and handloaders but yeah, pretty terrible for factory options.

TH- The recoil is negligible with any of the three I list, but the muzzle blast of the 7mm RM is quite unpleasant to my ears. I know what the numbers are with the 7-08 vs 7mm RM, but I haven’t noticed any real difference in performance on game. And yes, I have used both on a pile of game, including elk.
Clearly, the 7-08, 280 and 7mm RM are all fine cartridges, but I really like the 7-08.

Good point, we all to often get caught up with numbers on paper with ft lb thresholds that someone said are minimums

Just curious, how far have you shot deer and elk with your 7-08? What bullet and FPS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
TH- My pet 7mm-08 load Includes a 140 grain Barnes TTSX on top of 46.7 grains of H414, which averages just under 2900 FPS in my Sako A7.
I’ve killed 2 bull elk with that load- one at 320 yards (broadside, double lung, took about 5 steps looked around for a few seconds, tipped over), the other at about 30 yards (chewing cud in his bed, neck shot, lights out). Pretty small sample on elk. But I’ve killed elk with 338 WM, 30-06, 300 RSAUM, and 7mm RM, with results that weren’t any better. :)
I’ve killed deer from about 30 yards to 380 yards with that load, probably numbering in the area of 10-12 deer. I’ve also killed quite a few antelope with that load, including one shot at 419 yards.
I also have 7-08s in a Remington Model Seven and Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Compact. The Remington shoots 120 grain TTSXs, and I feed the Winchester 139 grain GMXs. Neither of these get as much action as the Sako, but have accounted for a few deer and antelope.
God Bless America.

Mrvrsick

FNG
The ridgeline comes in 280 AI, which is probably the one I'd choose. I'd also be very happy with a 7mm-08, as I've seen that handloading that cartridge with certain powders can get you around 2900 fps with 145ish grain projectiles, and that honestly sounds like enough.

mmanincor

Lil-Rokslider
I also own the 7mm-08, 280 & 7mag. I have taken deer at over 300 yds with all of them. Not a single deer new which gun it was. If I had to have just 1 caliber, it would be the 7mag. I would never feel handicapped against any animal in North America except for grizzly bear. Which I have no experience with anyhow. Very few animals have had to tracked beyond 25 yds if tracking was needed at all. Good luck and enjoy making the decision.

Shot a Seven mag for a few years, shot a 7STW for a few years and now I am on a 7-08 kick. Only shot one deer with my 7-08 and it was just as dead. Shorter, lighter, easier to get around in tight woods with.