7mm Hunting Rifle Question

TKeslar

FNG
This is my first post on this forum! Been lurking, reading threads here for a while. Wanted to get yalls opinion on something... I'm looking to build a rifle that I can do everything in the US with. I was thinking 7mm of some flavor. I have a Defiance anti-x long action mag and I also have a Hawkins hunter long action DBM that I was wanting to run. I'm wanting to do a shorter barrel to make it a handy rifle but may also run a suppressor as well. Thinking 20-22" barrel. The traditional 7 mag is out since a belted mag won't run in the Hawkins mags. Would yall go 7saum or 28 Nosler and why? Thanks in advance!

My next 7mm is going to be an 18" 7prc (SAAMI) suppressed..

Why? Because it is designed to shoot heavy for caliber high BC bullets and fit standard long action magazines.

OP
T

TKeslar

FNG
But I already have the action and it's a MAGNUM bolt face... and that's what I'm going to use. I will use it for elk down to our tiny Texas whitetail. Distance will be less than 1000 yards. Never had a 7mm but been wanting one...

But I already have the action and it's a MAGNUM bolt face... and that's what I'm going to use. I will use it for elk down to our tiny Texas whitetail. Distance will be less than 1000 yards. Never had a 7mm but been wanting one...
I would also do the 280AI. Easy to trade actions.

OP
T

TKeslar

FNG
Also, I bought 200 pieces of 28 Nosler ADG brass, but would have no problem selling it if someone can talk me into another cartridge...

280ai is still my answer. Having the action, 7saum

OP
T

TKeslar

FNG
Because I'm not married to anything yet. And I don't think I would have any problem getting rid of the 28 Nosler brass. Just wanted to hear opinions...but I don't know if the 280 AI would work with the magnum long action magazines. Honestly just looking to hear opinions on what cartridge would be best with the components I currently have.

I would stick with the 28N. No real reason not to since you already have the brass. The difference in performance between the 7mm mag calibers is probably not enough to sit and do mental gymnastics over.

Regarding the 7PRC, I wouldnt wait for it. Barrels are cheap and you can always switch later. I would get your 28N going and down the road you can swap barrels if you want.

OP
T

TKeslar

FNG
That was my hold up with the 7 PRC. They're is currently nothing available for it and who knows when there will be with today's environment. The only good news is if it's like the other hornady cartridges it'll be pushed pretty hard here in the best future!

Ucsdryder

WKR
7saum. You already have the magnum action, you want a short barrel, marry it with a short case that’s MADE for your setup. You could go with the 280ai and have a poor man’s Saum that falls just short in all categories.

7saum. You already have the magnum action, you want a short barrel, marry it with a short case that’s MADE for your setup. You could go with the 280ai and have a poor man’s Saum that falls just short in all categories.
You must have a 7saum…If you are going to go short and fat, the 7wsm or 7 300 wsm is a better cartridge. There is a reason the 7 saum is dead, honestly there is a reason most of the 7’s die…its because the 7mm RM is a pretty awesome cartridge (I dont even own one because I am anti magnum)

Ucsdryder

WKR
You must have a 7saum…If you are going to go short and fat, the 7wsm or 7 300 wsm is a better cartridge. There is a reason the 7 saum is dead, honestly there is a reason most of the 7’s die…its because the 7mm RM is a pretty awesome cartridge (I dont even own one because I am anti magnum)
7saum is not dead. Possibly the most up and coming cartridge out there right now. 7saum fell victim to Remingtons marketing, or lack thereof. I’m curious why you’d think the 300wsm is a better cartridge? Or the 7wsm for that matter. Combine the ballistics of the long heavy bullets with the very modest recoil of the 7saum and I think you can argue (if you reload) that it’ll hang with almost anything. Yes I have a 20” suppressed that my recoil shy wife prefers over her 6.5fm.

7saum is not dead. Possibly the most up and coming cartridge out there right now. 7saum fell victim to Remingtons marketing, or lack thereof. I’m curious why you’d think the 300wsm is a better cartridge? Or the 7wsm for that matter. Combine the ballistics of the long heavy bullets with the very modest recoil of the 7saum and I think you can argue (if you reload) that it’ll hang with almost anything. Yes I have a 20” suppressed that my recoil shy wife prefers over her 6.5fm.
Come on man - the most up and coming cartridge? The 7wsm does everything the 7saum does but better. I don’t even have a wsm anymore. But I do own a 280AI.

Come on man - the most up and coming cartridge? The 7wsm does everything the 7saum does but better. I don’t even have a wsm anymore. But I do own a 280AI.
I agree the 7wsm will probably have an edge on the SAUM but search for posts on any forum and the interest in the SAUM will eclipse the WSM. It is a very popular cartridge. Given where it was compared to the interest it it now, the statement that it is possibly the most up and coming holds water. I think the popularity of suppressors and the quality brass have made it one of the most trending offerings as of late. I also believe that the 7PRC will probably have a negative impact on the interest in the other 7's in the near future.

If you so strongly disagree I would be interested to hear your take on the most up and coming cartridges, that you can shoot today.

I agree the 7wsm will probably have an edge on the SAUM but search for posts on any forum and the interest in the SAUM will eclipse the WSM. It is a very popular cartridge. Given where it was compared to the interest it it now, the statement that it is possibly the most up and coming holds water. I think the popularity of suppressors and the quality brass have made it one of the most trending offerings as of late.

If you so strongly disagree I would be interested to hear your take on the most up and coming cartridges, that you can shoot today.
Anything with PRC at the end of it…

rootacres

WKR
Man I beat my head against the wall for a while on this. I ended up going 7 SAUM. The ballistics of the 28 Nosler are undeniable but that comes with compromise. The 7 PRC on paper seems like it should be damn good but you are into a legit magnum. That said, with you having a long action you can push the heavies in the SAUM, that 20-22 inch range would be pretty good (I went 22"). In that package the rifle should be moderate weight and will be a pleasure to shoot. Thats just me though, you really cant go wrong with many of them.