7mm Hunting Rifle Question

madcalfe

WKR
7prc good luck finding components if you reload, and good luck finding ammo to when it comes out.
28 nosler wicked cartridge but a barrel burner.
7wsm good luck finding brass.
7saum getting pretty popular, easy to tune cartridge. Id get a 7saum but if you reload id 110% go 7SS.

One thread the 270 is dying, the next thread the 7mm SAUM is popular, can’t tell boys from girls anymore. There’s three horsemen of the apocalypse right there.

I’d just run the 28 Nosler if you can’t use a belted case. If it’s anything like the 7mm Rem Mag, it will be a versatile open country rig.

Before you neuter it to the loudest 7mm-08 that ever existed/most front-heavy “handy rifle” with a suppressor….think of how many guys swing shotguns with 26 and 28 inch barrels and not complain about their handling.

jhm2023

WKR
The 28 is a fun cartridge to hunt with but it would certainly not be my choice for a short barrel suppressed rifle. The saum is a fun cartridge and has the efficiency I like for short barrels but brass is a pain to find. If that's the route you want to go, then look at the Sherman line of medium length cartridges like the 7mm max which has ADG made brass available. I'm a big 7mm fan and a big fan of 18-22" barrels with suppressors so I stick with the more efficient options which is the reason I sold my 28. 7mm PRC will be my next 7mm hunting rifle, probably with a 20" tube and shot suppressed 100% of the time and hopefully be a good bit under 6 pounds bare. It will primarily be a sheep, goat and caribou rifle but will likely see a a few moose and grizz too.

BBob

WKR
7 Blaser, near ballistic equivalent to 7 Rem Mag but belt less. Sherman 7 Max (7 SAUM 40°). Sherman always seems to have brass (ADG) in stock.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
7 Blaser, near ballistic equivalent to 7 Rem Mag but belt less. Sherman 7 Max (7 SAUM 40°). Sherman always seems to have brass (ADG) in stock.
Wait for the new dimension Sherman dies to come out if you don't want to waste money on obsolete components and be in my shoes because it wasn't disclosed..

amassi

WKR
Wait for the new dimension Sherman dies to come out if you don't want to waste money on obsolete components and be in my shoes because it wasn't disclosed..
What happened?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
What happened?
Sherman ended up with a mismatch somewhere between brass, chamber and dies. Supposedly it’s being corrected with new dies? Harvey’s issues were discussed in another thread a short time ago.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
What happened?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Summary is the Sherman SAUM based cartridges are based off Norma dimension brass, excuse is that Gunwerks had ADG shrink the case head/web area by .0023" to prevent clickers in their SAUM chambers. Lots of guys complaining about toasting primer pockets in 1-2 firings, Rich claims the brass needs to be formed even though it's advertised as fully formed headstamped brass. I'll be starting a post soon when I get all the brass formed and start development.

That was my hold up with the 7 PRC. They're is currently nothing available for it and who knows when there will be with today's environment. The only good news is if it's like the other hornady cartridges it'll be pushed pretty hard here in the best future!
Its pretty funny that the 7 prc hasn't even been released yet and everyone is already convinced it's gonna be the way to go..
I'd personally recommend the 7 wsm over a saum, having owned both the wsm will get you an easy 100 fps over the saum.
I actually kinda wish I still had my custom throated 7 wsm, it was sending 195's 2875 in a 22" barrel with Hornady brass.
It was by far the most accurate rifle I've owned, and tuning was effortless.
7wsm good luck finding brass.
Hornady has been pumping it out consistently for a few years now, it's very consistent stuff and holds up fine if you're not running 80,000 psi..
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102137620

B23

WKR
Having one I'm obviously partial to the idea of a 7mm Blaser mag. I think you can still get dies from Redding and I believe Grafs has them in stock but finding brass may be the hard part.

If anyone thinks they're going to like the new 7 PRC then they'd like the 7mm Blaser because looking at the case specs they're very similar with a slight edge in favor of the 7 Blaser with regard to case capacity and case design.

I'm sending 180 Bergers out of a 26in Hart barrel 3088-3100fps.

OP
T

TKeslar

FNG
Oh damn! I see Norma discontinued 7 Blaser brass. I guess that'll kill that.
I believe Norma is going to stop selling brass and focus on loaded ammo. I remember Unknown Munitions bringing this up a while back. I've got a .257 Weatherby that I load for and have no luck finding brass so I took note of Jake, with Unknown Munitions, post on Instagram.

I hope once norma gets there plant built over here this will change. I built a 257 Blackbird off of this case a couple years ago not knowing what was going on with the brass situation. Now I can't find brass anywhere. I love this case design and can't understand why they would want to kill it and bring out something lesser like the 7 prc. Doesn't make since to me.