7mm load data

OP
jedi

jedi

FNG
I have had the same experience as LaHunter with all secant ogive bullets in every rifle and caliber that I have tried them. If there is a secret to getting secant ogives to shoot sub MOA groups I have not found it. The Accubond LR are secant ogive whereas the standard ABs are tangent ogive and shoot very well for me. Some 160gr 7mm AB's were on the market early last summer and I stocked up, but they have been scarce lately.
part of the choice of bullet is recomended from other buddies that shoot/reload. they have all seemed to say the ab lrs are great and dont have an issue with them. same with the barnes. they shoot them in 7mm as well and seem to have great results.

OP
jedi

jedi

FNG
I hope you're not planning on shooting longer ranges, because your approach is pretty bold.. I think you'd be better off picking a bullet and doing more in depth development instead of wasting powder and primers just testing some combos to see if you get lucky.
maybe for fun i shoot long(up to 800) but in hunting application i keep it around 100 yards. ive picked these 2-3 bullets for a few reasons. 1- recommended from other reloaders/hunting buddies, 2- availability. theres only so many things you can find right now, 3- i dont think its a waste trying some new things. youre probably right though, just pick a bullet and go from there. mostly what we are doing, but putting a few extra feelers out to see if one is more accurate than the next out of my gun. long time until next season, should be able to come up with something that works

OP
jedi

jedi

FNG
thanks for all the replies guys. its like asking who prefers what boot. everyone has their version and vision of whats best. some great questions asked and great responses. much appreciated

EdP

WKR
Yup, and the copper is easy to see when butchering, but what about the lead fragments? I'm not really interested in eating them.

z987k

WKR
maybe for fun i shoot long(up to 800) but in hunting application i keep it around 100 yards. ive picked these 2-3 bullets for a few reasons. 1- recommended from other reloaders/hunting buddies, 2- availability. theres only so many things you can find right now, 3- i dont think its a waste trying some new things. youre probably right though, just pick a bullet and go from there. mostly what we are doing, but putting a few extra feelers out to see if one is more accurate than the next out of my gun. long time until next season, should be able to come up with something that works
That's pretty close, and I think you shouldn't use the ABLR either. They're both long range bullets that are designed to expand down to very low velocities. They blow up in close like you've experienced. You'll have the same problem with the ABLR as the eld-x.
If you really want to keep the lead out of the meat, go with a mono.

If you just want to reduce fragmenting and have a tough bullet, the Nosler Acubonds are amazingly well liked.

Last edited:

Zappaman

WKR
Just "widdled" down my buck today... I didn't find my bullet as it went in and out at 350 yards :) I'm using the Gold Dot (Fusion) bullet in the 140g out of my 260AI. I know you are asking about 7mm here, but since it was a load data post, I thought I'd put out this great bullet for reloaders to consider (when you can find them like everything lately).

I've killed a few deer with this bullet so far. At about 225 last year, my first deer shot with this bullet-- I caught the bullet on the off-side hide and it was a beautiful mushroom (front on lung shot slightly quartering to me). I measured that 140g spent bullet at 139g+... it really does hold together. And the expansion is excellent- good shock value.

I've been using copper in my 243 for years... I agree that lead isn't a good diet suppliment ;)

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
If you're looking for controlled expansion it's hard to beat Nosler partitions or Barnes TSX. I have used both in my 7mm and haven't had the fragmenting issue you've seen with the Hornady.

Zappaman

WKR
If you're looking for controlled expansion it's hard to beat Nosler partitions or Barnes TSX. I have used both in my 7mm and haven't had the fragmenting issue you've seen with the Hornady.
I agree... I personally use the Partition 160g in my 7mm RM for elk (becaue I have 200 of them). I'll likely switch over to the Barnes TSX IF I run out of bullets before I run out of time ;) But for Kansas white tails the Gold Dot really is perfect. I also shoot Texas pigs (three last year) with the Gold Dot 115g .277 bullet (6.8 SPC). It just goes THROUGH them without fragging'-- and I won't shoot a hog with another 120g SST IF I'm going to eat it (which I usually DO!)

Just beware, the AB LR can be very tough to get to shoot consistently. You can find reports all over the interweb on this. I could not get them to shoot well in my rifle, and I tried. The regular AB are pretty forgiving and are not difficult to develop a load for, about like the Nosler BT bullets. Only issue with the AB bullets, they seem to be extinct at the moment and have been for quite some time. Not sure when they will start showing up again.

This guy knows his stuff... I’ll sell you some ABLR if you’d dare to try them.

WKR
If you want total penetration and are shooting a 7mm Remington at 100 to maybe 200 yards based on one of your posts, I'd just use a Barnes. Pick one, work with it and if you get 1.5" groups, you are great to even 300 yards. In these times, I'd go that route vs testing bullets that will for sure not meet your stated requirements.

I too had issues with Hornady stuff staying together on animals but was shooting at longer distances. I much prefer Bergers for what I do and have had no issues with excessive meat damage. Lucky for 12 or 15 years now.

As suggested by others the Barnes LRX 168s recommends a 1:8 twist or faster to stabilize. For that reason I went with the 145 LRX. I've also shot the 150TTSX and the 160TSX. They all have shot decently, but the 145 performs the best out of my x-bolt

Should have also mentioned that I'm using the RL-22 load data for the 145 LRX from the Barnes site. I've also run imr4831 and imr7977 and got the best results from RL-22.

Maw7989

FNG
For me its either an Accubond or the tried and true Partition. i would like to get a hold of some Federal Terminal Ascents. They seem promising

67.8 grains of h1000
162 Amax going 2950fps
This load has killed a pile of deer and I can’t remember ever recovering a bullet. 463 yards has been my farthest kill with it. When I run out of the amax’s, I guess I’ll stock up on the eldm’s. This is a mild load and I’m currently on my 6th reload on the brass and it’s not showing signs of giving up.

OP
jedi

jedi

FNG
awesome thanks! was able to throw an order on. see when they show up
do NOT order anything from that dowdles. claimed they had in stock, so i ordered. its been a month and a half and just now i got an email stating back log etc etc. only after i had sent them an email looking to see what was going on. they shouldnt be selling stuff they dont have. on another forum, guys had the same issues and had to go through their banks to cancel the orders and get money back.

do NOT order anything from that dowdles. claimed they had in stock, so i ordered. its been a month and a half and just now i got an email stating back log etc etc. only after i had sent them an email looking to see what was going on. they shouldnt be selling stuff they dont have. on another forum, guys had the same issues and had to go through their banks to cancel the orders and get money back.
Wish i would have seen this 12 hours ago just placed a order for bullets.