7mm load data

jedi

FNG
hey all, im new to the reloading world, longtime hunter. just looking to hone my shooting a little bit and trying to find another bullet type. ive been shooting hornady eld-x in 162gr for the last few years. great round for accuracy but what ive noticed is almost zero retention in the bullet after shot. im finding pieces all over in various bits of meat etc and this has prompted me to find something that will hold together much better and give me a pass through(i never get passthroughs with the eld-x)

Ive currently been able to find a few different bullets to try out ( barners lrx 168gr, berger hunter classic 168gr, accubond lr 168 gr, barnes tsx 168 gr) ill be using rl 22 for powder. i guess im looking for load data. we will be doing 10 rounds for each, (2x 5 loaded at two different powder settings) anyone have a current load that they would be willing to share?

thanks for looking and for potential additions to the thread.

Pgohil

WKR
Nosler accubonds over RL-22.shot was 300 yds 20". Of penetration longitudinally spine into front of neck. Very pleased.

PGohil
WV

Attachments

• 20211125_174521.jpg
    20211125_174521.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 26

brn2hnt

WKR
You will be gravely dissatisfied with those bergers, as you have been with the eldx.

To be fair though, that’s like buying a fish and being mad it can’t climb a tree. It’s designed from the ground up to do the exact opposite of what you’re asking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jedi

jedi

FNG
You will be gravely dissatisfied with those bergers, as you have been with the eldx.

To be fair though, that’s like buying a fish and being mad it can’t climb a tree. It’s designed from the ground up to do the exact opposite of what you’re asking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sweet thanks! im more leaning to the accubonds lr and the barnes lrx based on what ive found in research, but had some of the berger on hand. ill scratch those off the list and stick with the other three.

OP
jedi

jedi

FNG
Nosler accubonds over RL-22.shot was 300 yds 20". Of penetration longitudinally spine into front of neck. Very pleased.

PGohil
WV
a lot of my buddies are all for the accubonds as well. ill load the three now and go from there. whats your powder load for this?

Pgohil

WKR
I'm running 62.5 grains. But I'm only pushing a bullet at about 2880. Pass that I'm getting the brass swelling and hard extractions. But I think that's because the Norma brass I bought is too soft. Next spring I plan to try some Winchester or Remington brass and be able to go just over 3,000 FPS.

mmac

WKR
I use the 160 AB as well over the rl 22, just look up loads on the nosler site. I also like the 168 LR and 175LR depending on the rifle. I have really good luck with RL 22 , but also retumbo. Since I can't find that anywhere, looking for new powders.

Rob5589

WKR
R22 has always produced for me. I'd start around 62 grains and work up. Just fyi, Barnes rec's 1:8 twist for that weight.

KBrangers

FNG
I use the 160 AB as well over the rl 22, just look up loads on the nosler site. I also like the 168 LR and 175LR depending on the rifle. I have really good luck with RL 22 , but also retumbo. Since I can't find that anywhere, looking for new powders.
Natchezss had imr4831 yesterday... they may still have some

LaHunter

WKR
sweet thanks! im more leaning to the accubonds lr and the barnes lrx based on what ive found in research, but had some of the berger on hand. ill scratch those off the list and stick with the other three.
Just beware, the AB LR can be very tough to get to shoot consistently. You can find reports all over the interweb on this. I could not get them to shoot well in my rifle, and I tried. The regular AB are pretty forgiving and are not difficult to develop a load for, about like the Nosler BT bullets. Only issue with the AB bullets, they seem to be extinct at the moment and have been for quite some time. Not sure when they will start showing up again.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I hope you're not planning on shooting longer ranges, because your approach is pretty bold.. I think you'd be better off picking a bullet and doing more in depth development instead of wasting powder and primers just testing some combos to see if you get lucky.

EdP

WKR
I have had the same experience as LaHunter with all secant ogive bullets in every rifle and caliber that I have tried them. If there is a secret to getting secant ogives to shoot sub MOA groups I have not found it. The Accubond LR are secant ogive whereas the standard ABs are tangent ogive and shoot very well for me. Some 160gr 7mm AB's were on the market early last summer and I stocked up, but they have been scarce lately.

OP
jedi

jedi

FNG
When using the 162 ELD-X does it result in dead animals?
yes, always dead. again, its not an accuracy issue. the eld-x are hammers and hit like a freight train. problem i have im finding pieces everywhere inside. few weeks ago i shot a wt in montana. low back lung shot. i found the bullet, well maybe 30% of the bullet/copper jacket, in the rear quarter. as my daughter and i were cleaning meat up a few days later, she found a few copper pieces in various pieces of meat. same thing with my idaho buck this year. they grenade and i end up finding pieces of copper jacketing in random cuts of meat. im lucky if i find them during the trimming process and my grinder doesnt. just trying to reduce this issue