7mm mag brass selection

Pgohil

WKR
I plan to start reloading for my Remington 700 7 mm magnum in January. I have about 60 rounds of 1X fired federal brass (from factory ammo).
I'm baiting on using that, or buying PPU brass at $35 / 50. But also just down some nosler at $100/50.

I prefer to have 100 rounds of brass on hand at any given time, but that's just a personal preference. This is not a Target setup, but I do expect better than factory accuracy. Factory accuracy with this rifle runs just under one MOA out to 200 yards. I'd like to be able to carry one MOA or better to 600 yards with it.
I'll be shooting the 160 grain accubonds, pushed with RL-22 powder.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
Have used Rem and currently Norma. Norma is better consistently wise in the necks, primer pockets, and overall length. I used the Rem stuff in a match gun with full prep and had no problems accuracy wise. I've read Fed brass is soft and can have sizing issues. Haven't used ppu. Someone here is selling some Norma if interested.

LaHunter

WKR
Your Federal brass will work, just pay very close attention to possible case head separation. I had a bunch of 1X fired 7 mag brass from factory ammo over the years and used that when I started reloading. Short case life was the issue that I had with it. I wouldn't try to get more than about 3 or maybe 4 firings from it.
I now use only Norma brass and have retired the Federal brass. If you have access to some premium brass, I would recommend that route.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
Have used Rem and currently Norma. Norma is better consistently wise in the necks, primer pockets, and overall length. I used the Rem stuff in a match gun with full prep and had no problems accuracy wise. I've read Fed brass is soft and can have sizing issues. Haven't used ppu. Someone here is selling some Norma if interested.
I've been looking but haven't seen anyone selling Norma. If you happen to see it please PM me the link.

serorem

FNG
What are peoples thoughts on Barnes brass? I have 100-150 once fired rounds that I’m looking to use to reload with.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
I found the post and have sent a PM. Thank you very much.

Sled

WKR
i've used federal in my 7mm and 270wsm for 2-3 firings before culling them. less in my 300wby. norma/nosler brass lasted the longest in those chamberings and that's what i currently use. once fired is much less expensive than factory new brass, fwiw.

mvrk28

WKR
Both Peterson and ADG manufacture 7mm Rem Mag brass, I’d go with either of those over other options listed. 50 cases will run you under $70 before tax/shipping and it is match grade brass that will last over a multitude of firings.

Bought the Norma brass. Thanks for everyones input.

Pgohil, bringing this back up since it’s been awhile. How’d it do? Any report or update on the Norma 7mm rem mag brass reloading? Thanks.

Last edited:
I plan to start reloading for my Remington 700 7 mm magnum in January. I have about 60 rounds of 1X fired federal brass (from factory ammo).
I'm baiting on using that, or buying PPU brass at $35 / 50. But also just down some nosler at $100/50.

Guess I should ask this too….., did you ever try any Nosler brass? Thanks.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
Well.... It's soft brass. Shooting the 160 accubonds, I'm at 62 and 1/2 grains. And have extraction problems any higher. The only sign of pressure I have is case marks where it swells against the chamber. No flattened primers no primer cratering nothing.
I know a lot of guys are shooting the 160s at 64 and above. I'm only getting 2879fps... I really like to be at the 3K mark.. for seven mag the recoil is extremely light as well.

All that being said though the gun shoots 3/4 MOA with no issues. And has killed three deer this fall with excellent results. I do want to change to a different brass this spring and try working my load up again just to get a little more umph outta this magnum.

Well.... It's soft brass. Shooting the 160 accubonds, I'm at 62 and 1/2 grains. And have extraction problems any higher. The only sign of pressure I have is case marks where it swells against the chamber. No flattened primers no primer cratering nothing.
I know a lot of guys are shooting the 160s at 64 and above. I'm only getting 2879fps... I really like to be at the 3K mark.. for seven mag the recoil is extremely light as well.

All that being said though the gun shoots 3/4 MOA with no issues. And has killed three deer this fall with excellent results. I do want to change to a different brass this spring and try working my load up again just to get a little more umph outta this magnum.
Thanks. Good info. Agreed that 7mag loads generally ought to be able to run a little closer to 3k if you want them too. I’m not needing to load 7mag at the moment but with the challenges of acquiring supplies I’m already looking ahead. I’m sure it’ll take some patience, but I’m going to look for some Nosler brass probably. Saw your earlier 2020 post, and I like your experience with the 160 AB.

Tf44

FNG
Your Federal brass will work, just pay very close attention to possible case head separation. I had a bunch of 1X fired 7 mag brass from factory ammo over the years and used that when I started reloading. Short case life was the issue that I had with it. I wouldn't try to get more than about 3 or maybe 4 firings from it.
I now use only Norma brass and have retired the Federal brass. If you have access to some premium brass, I would recommend that route.
I agree with this completely. When I started reloading for my rem 700 7mm rem mag I used all once shot federal brass. Usually only got 3-4 reloads before the cases would stretch to much to be resized. For white tail I love 139gr hornady set's @ 3000 fps.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin

That could be your chamber as much as it's the brass' fault. I know a few people who are redlining 7 mags with Norma brass.