7mm mag factory ammo for bear

NateO 77

Lil-Rokslider
I have been shooting factory Hornady eldx out of my Tikka T3x lite 7mm for years for deer and bear. They have been really accurate but I don't like the way the bullets fragment and are usually found in the opposite side of the animal. They have been fine for deer but not really for bear. I blame them for a lost bear last year. I decided to setup a 6.5prc for deer and now want to setup the 7mm mag for my bear rifle. I typically hunt or shoot out to 400 yards but could push out to 600 if everything felt right. Please recommend bullets that you have used and like for bear. I would like to search for some options now that I can see if my gun likes before bear season starts.
Thanks.

amassi

WKR
You didn't lose that bear due to bullet. Once you accept that- shoot the 147 eld-m out of your prc and the 162 or 180 eld-m put of your rem mag depending on Twist and you'll be set.

Your about to get a bunch of reccomendations for copper bullets like the lrx and hammer et el. None if them would have helped with your lost bear.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

BLJ

WKR
I’m assuming black bear on this. Personally never targeted bear with my 7 mag. But if I did, I would shoot a Nosler Partition in a 160 or 175. In my inexperienced opinion.

OP
N

NateO 77

Lil-Rokslider
You didn't lose that bear due to bullet. Once you accept that- shoot the 147 eld-m out of your prc and the 162 or 180 eld-m put of your rem mag depending on Twist and you'll be set.

Your about to get a bunch of reccomendations for copper bullets like the lrx and hammer et el. None if them would have helped with your lost bear.

I agree I have alot to do with the lost bear I would just like to have the bullet maintain some mass and creat an exit wound instead of stopping at the hide on deer and possibly not getting in very far on bear. Twist is 9.5 to 1. What would that twist match up with best? Interesting I never thought of the eldm as a hunting round.
Thanks

BLJ

WKR
Federal loads the Nosler Partition in its premium line. Been really hard to find though.

amassi

WKR
I agree I have alot to do with the lost bear I would just like to have the bullet maintain some mass and creat an exit wound instead of stopping at the hide on deer and possibly not getting in very far on bear. Twist is 9.5 to 1. What would that twist match up with best? Interesting I never thought of the eldm as a hunting round.
Thanks
You'd be in the 162 boat with that twist. Exit wounds, particularly on fat hairy bears are over rated

LightFoot

WKR
The Nosler Partition is rarely, if ever, a wrong choice.

160 or 175

Accubond or ABLR would also be a good choice.
Also Swift Scirocco II.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
In monos don't overlook Cutting Edge or Hammers. They shed petals and the base keeps driving through. Lots of bonded and cup and core bullets already mentioned.