7mm magnum bullet selection

Pgohil

WKR
Remington 700 22" factory barrel, unknown round count. Seen it shoot 3/4 moa with factory federal 150 psp.

Ordered 5lbs of RL22, will use federal 215 primers PPU brass. Thinki g About nosler bullets. Partitions? LRAB? maybe Hornady?

Thoughts. ????

Thanks
PGohil
WV

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
What's the purpose for the rifle? Normal hunting or LR, deer, etc. RL 22 is a great powder for the 7 mag up to 162 ish or so bullets, but can tend to be temp sensitive depending on the lot. Like your avatar, Brother.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
Primary purpose of this rifle is for deer and black bear. Might decide to hunt Western big game up to elk with it at some point. As for now I predominantly archery hunt out west though.
I want a bullet it that stays together and mushrooms like it should without just penciling through game. Bigger exit holes are always a plus. Of course if you follow the berger line of though, all energy should be left within the target animal. I like that way of thinking, but prefer good blood trails in case of a less than perfect shot

Distances would vary from 0 to 600 yd. There seems to be two camps about RL22. Those that swear it's temperature sensitive and those that swear it doesn't matter. Lol. Regardless, I've got 5 lb of it coming I'm going to use it! Unless of course someone wants to trade me for some h1000 or retumblo......
Gotta find some Federal 215 primers as well.....

Marble

WKR
Primary purpose of this rifle is for deer and black bear. Might decide to hunt Western big game up to elk with it at some point. As for now I predominantly archery hunt out west though.
I want a bullet it that stays together and mushrooms like it should without just penciling through game. Bigger exit holes are always a plus. Of course if you follow the berger line of though, all energy should be left within the target animal. I like that way of thinking, but prefer good blood trails in case of a less than perfect shot

Distances would vary from 0 to 600 yd. There seems to be two camps about RL22. Those that swear it's temperature sensitive and those that swear it doesn't matter. Lol. Regardless, I've got 5 lb of it coming I'm going to use it! Unless of course someone wants to trade me for some h1000 or retumblo......
Gotta find some Federal 215 primers as well.....

I hope the powder works out for you. But thats a lot of powder. Ive used RL 22 for years and haven't noticed any difference in point of impact out to 500 yards ever at any temperature.

My preference for the 7mm mag is a bullet from 150 to 168 grain.

I have shot the 150 sciroocos and really like them. I have no complaints whatsoever. I can shoo them around 3200 fps with great accuracy and brass life. They have a good BC, hold together when hitting bone and ha e been really accurate.

I have recently started loading the 160 grain accubonds and they shoot well too.

Just a tip I learned in the last few years. I have found shooting a mid to lower powder charge and varying seating depth from .005 to .045 yielded faster results in finding the most accurate round. After I found the best seating depth I then increased the powder charge until i hit max load, a drop off in accuracy or pressure signs.

I would mess with seating depth afterwards sometimes. But by then I was normally at .5 to .75 moa.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

agardner00

Lil-Rokslider
I love the 150g Nosler Etips but did not have good luck with the ABLRs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
For 600 and closer I'd use an accubond or scirocco. They open up and hold together we'll. You also use the tried and true partition if your rifle likes them.

160gr accubonds and 150gr TTSX have both shot sub-MOA from my Tikka 7RM with IMR 4831. Not the fastest powder, but it's been accurate and consistent for me.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
Thank you very much for all the great replies. I'm going to go with the 160 accubonds. Now just to find those darn primers. Lol

Thanks
PGohil
WV

Harvey_NW

WKR
I ran the 160 accubonds through my Tikka and got the most accurate load I've developed to date. With H1000 I couldn't get the velocity I was chasing before pressure so I switched routes, but my lady and I hammered 2 MT mule deer bucks back to back at 180 and 300yds and the performance was very impressive.

Those accubonds will work well but if you ever feel the need to try something else look at the hammers anything under 143 grain Hunter. They flat out perform they are not like other monolithic bullets.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
What rifle are you using? And what kind of accuracy and velocity are you getting?

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
Anyone know where I can find a box or 2 of 160 accubonds? Seem to have vanished along with every other reloading component.....