7mm non magnum suggestions

Most shots are 200 or less but have some locations that can get closer to 400. For genefal hunting purpose i like to keep my shots to 300 or less. I would like to use this rifle to shoot some targets to 600 yards.
Ah, then if you're only hunting to 300 and targets to 600 then your options are wide open. If you only want to do brass prep once, make it another 7mm-08. .280AI seems like a bit of overkill and it's not really a target cartridge. In that barrel, a 7mm-08 would be a pussycat on the range and more than enough to 300 or even 400 on deer.

OP
H
Thanks for all of the replies.
I’d go short barreled 7mm08, threaded for a suppressor.
I considered this but dont know if i can justify cost of a tax stamp and a can. I havent been around many suppressed rifles but i have with pistols and the drop in decibels wasnt enough for me to ever consider it for myself. I was under the impression that supressed rifles would still damage your hearing without protection. I put on ear protection before i even shoot deer. I have tinnitus and that deer is not worth the 3 days of ringing that follows. Will your ears still ring with a supressor?

OP
H

Vern400

WKR
Any caliber mentioned will do the jobs you described. Wanna but new dies and components or not?

OP
H
Any caliber mentioned will do the jobs you described. Wanna but new dies and components or not?
The new dies are not a big deal to me. Also as long as brass is available i dont care much. I have a surplus of 160 sierra hpbt and 139 horn btsp. I would eventually like to load target bullets for whichever round i choose but it is not a necessity. The only component im somewhat concerned about is powder availability. I have a couple pounds of imr 4064 and imr 7828ssc. I use the 4064 for 7mm-08 and 22-250 and the 7828ssc for 280 rem and 243 wssm of my brothers. So im not sure if either of those powders would be optimal in .284 win.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
This is one of the reasons I'm debating the 7mm-08. The cartridge kills great and is easy to shoot i just hate the savage axis it is in.
i have an Axis in 7mm-08 too. Was mediocre accuracy wise out of the box due to horrendous trigger and tupperware stock. I put it in a nice boyd's laminate ($150) and did a little Ace Hardware spring job on the trigger ($10) and now it's a rather nice rifle. Luckily I bought the original rifle for dirt cheap so putting another $150 into it wasn't painful.

I wouldn't build another 7-08 with that barrel you have, I'd just fix up the Axis at some point to make it more enjoyable.

OP
H
i have an Axis in 7mm-08 too. Was mediocre accuracy wise out of the box due to horrendous trigger and tupperware stock. I put it in a nice boyd's laminate ($150) and did a little Ace Hardware spring job on the trigger ($10) and now it's a rather nice rifle. Luckily I bought the original rifle for dirt cheap so putting another $150 into it wasn't painful.

I wouldn't build another 7-08 with that barrel you have, I'd just fix up the Axis at some point to make it more
Ive already done the lowes trigger job. i also epoxy filled the tupper ware stock then glass bedded it when i was first experimenting with glass bedding. It shoots really well. My problem with it is that the bolt is so sloppy that you will bang it off the objective bell of most scopes. I jad to put high rings on it just to get a 3x9 vortex to clear the bolt. I put a cheek rest on it to help but it just feels cobbled together.

OP
H
I'ved narrowed it down to .284 if i go with the remmy donor or 7mm-08 if i go with the short action howa. Thanks for all of the replies and insights. I have some discussions to do with my smith it might be a little while before he can get me in. When i ever i finally decide and get it done i will post some pictures.

I'ved narrowed it down to .284 if i go with the remmy donor or 7mm-08 if i go with the short action howa. Thanks for all of the replies and insights. I have some discussions to do with my smith it might be a little while before he can get me in. When i ever i finally decide and get it done i will post some pictures.
Nice
I'm having an 18" tikka prefit made up in 284 GAP
My criteria is basically launching a 175-180 class bullet at 2600 fps for a timber to 600 yard elk rifle.
Lapua 284 brass is cheapish, and available which really swayed my decision

All three are good choices, I really like my .280 and personally would go .280ai, plus it’s becoming very popular so it’d be easy to sell if you decide to move it on. Tough choice though they’re all good.

OP
H
I hate to resurrect an old thread but I have finally gotten around to having the gun built. It's taken much longer than expected but some times life gets in the way. Since I asked for help I have given the .270 ADL to my cousin who needed a rifle but came into a Walmart special Winchester Model 70 push feed in 30-06. I decided the short mag box on the long action would match up perfectly with a .284 Win. It is currently at my smith getting the barrel chambered and throated for Hornady 162 ELDM at an OAL of 3.140.

Now to my new dilemma. I'm replacing the factory plastic stock with a Bansner but I don't know if I want to keep it as a blind magazine or convert it to a drop plate. Anybody have input on one vs the other? Or has anybody converted one that they later regretted?

TaperPin

WKR
That should be a cool rifle!

The blind magazine is lighter weight, but a hinged floorplate could be found for fairly cheap since so many people are swapping in detachable magazine bottom metal.

Whatever route you go, just make sure the fatter 284 feeds ok - I don’t know if a magnum magazine feeds better than an ‘06, but my Win 70 short action 243 didn’t like the 284 without magazine tweaks.

OP
H
I tested
That should be a cool rifle!

The blind magazine is lighter weight, but a hinged floorplate could be found for fairly cheap since so many people are swapping in detachable magazine bottom metal.

Whatever route you go, just make sure the fatter 284 feeds ok - I don’t know if a magnum magazine feeds better than an ‘06, but my Win 70 short action 243 didn’t like the 284 without magazine tweaks.
I did make up a couple of dummy rounds to make sure that it would pick up the round. Obviously i couldnt feed it all the way but i could move the bolt far enough where the round cleared the magazine. Hopefully it feeds fine when its all together.

TaperPin

WKR
I tested

I did make up a couple of dummy rounds to make sure that it would pick up the round. Obviously i couldnt feed it all the way but i could move the bolt far enough where the round cleared the magazine. Hopefully it feeds fine when its all together.
Since the cartridge just below the one you’re trying to chamber is providing upward pressure, I wonder if that’s going to be an issue if the second cartridge is fully rearward?
I just bought a 7mm08 barrel and I’m really curious how it will feed in my long action Rem 700 or if I need a spacer to reduce it to short action dimensions.

OP
H
Since the cartridge just below the one you’re trying to chamber is providing upward pressure, I wonder if that’s going to be an issue if the second cartridge is fully rearward?
I just bought a 7mm08 barrel and I’m really curious how it will feed in my long action Rem 700 or if I need a spacer to reduce it to short action dimensions.
Yeah i thought about 7mm-08 on the winchester action but was concerned about this as well. One of the reasons i went .284 hoping its just long enough to not hang up.