7mm PRC?

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
Do you think Hornady could pull of a short action 7mm PRC like they did with the 6.5PRC? The 7 SAUM is a beast, but hampered by no factory support by its parent company, Remington. Even in normal markets, 7 SAUM appears to suffer from availability, but 6.5 PRC was available, for the most part. I wonder if Hornady was able to keep up with current demand for 6.5 PRC and had a surplus of capacity, coupled with focused marketing and good factory ammo offerings, if the 7mm PRC would be a success vs 7 SAUM (much like 6.5PRC vs 6.5 GAP 4S).

Ramblings on a Friday while thinking about other options to get more horsepower than a 6.5 PRC. (The 6.8W is another option, but I fear it might suffer the same fate as 7SAUM)

Forest

WKR
From what I've read/heard it will be on a long action. Essentially a 7 lrm. I almost waited on a 7 saum build in anticipation of it but have seen the long action info a couple times and decided I didn't want to wait.
Backfire on YouTube actually just had a video a few days ago talking about it. I believe he said hornady told him it's slated for fall release.
He also spoke about 6.8 western and lack of support from hornady, nosler, etc. Worth a watch

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Brianb3

WKR
I was told Aaron Davidson was on a pod cast confirmed it was coming too. That’s second hand.

Imagine it will be pretty popular

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
I’m hearing 7prc later this year at the soonest, possibly shot show next year, and it’s on a long action

Forest

WKR
Sorry, 3150. It had to stay under 3200
The 7lrm pushes 180s at just as much speed. Still don't understand what you're getting at.

Maybe couldn't get a short action 7 in those speeds but darn sure can a long, and the 7 prc will be a long

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Forest

WKR
No shit dude. Ha. Wow. You argue with me and then need me to explain to me why you are arguing with me. Can't make this stuff up
Chill out!
I took it as you saying they simply aren't doing a 7 prc because they couldnt get 3200fps. I'm just saying there will be a 7prc but in a long aciton and will most likely reach those speeds. I'm not comparting apples to oranges, simply just saying what the 7prc is, not what it "could have been" in a short

Sorry for the derail OP, will there be a 7 prc? yes. Will it be on a short action?? no

You all need to specify- are you talking about a 7mm-300PRC or a 7mm-6.5PRC

Would be very different cartridges. That said with so many existing options out there the need for either is limited. Sounds like they want more factory support

ahard.270

FNG
A guy that works for me builds and shoots F-Class rifles. He running the 7mm in 6.5 prc cartridge on a med action. It’s doing pretty good. Same case capacity as a 284

Harvey_NW

WKR
In the short/medium action lengths 7-6.5PRC is almost dimensionally identical to 7SAUM, the PRC case being roughly .030" longer to the datum line, but .030"+ on the neck length of the SAUM. In my mind there would be no advantage unless you're a Lapua diehard.

They will not simply neck up the 6.5 or neck down the 300 to create the 7 prc. They will either lengthen/shorten the case or move the shoulder so that it cannot be loaded/fired from the other chambers. Similar to what other companies have done in the past. I suspect it to be slightly shorter than the 300 and still requiring a long action.

OP
PsRpOiGrRiAtM

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
In the short/medium action lengths 7-6.5PRC is almost dimensionally identical to 7SAUM, the PRC case being roughly .030" longer to the datum line, but .030"+ on the neck length of the SAUM. In my mind there would be no advantage unless you're a Lapua diehard.

I started the thread with the idea that if Hornady got behind it like they did w/ the Creedmoor and PRC, we'd have quality ammo available* versus waiting for special runs from boutique manufacturers. You know, stuff for the ugly masses (me). Basically a 7 SAUM twin that gets better established, or enjoys the success that the original 7 SAUM or .284 Win never got.

*as available as anything can get these days

Harvey_NW

WKR
I started the thread with the idea that if Hornady got behind it like they did w/ the Creedmoor and PRC, we'd have quality ammo available* versus waiting for special runs from boutique manufacturers. You know, stuff for the ugly masses (me). Basically a 7 SAUM twin that gets better established, or enjoys the success that the original 7 SAUM or .284 Win never got.
I think the difference is Hornady wasn't just behind them, they developed them. They wouldn't one off the SAUM because it's already out and they make ammo for it, so to develop a fan base for 7 PRC it would have to be something to boast about over the SAUM performance to fit a fabricated necessity.

I think the difference is Hornady wasn't just behind them, they developed them. They wouldn't one off the SAUM because it's already out and they make ammo for it, so to develop a fan base for 7 PRC it would have to be something to boast about over the SAUM performance to fit a fabricated necessity.
A non belted alternative to a 7mm Rem mag, with actual factory support, and chamber/rIfling specs to support heavy-for-caliber bullets. Something not as magnum as hot and hard-recoiling as the 28 Nosler. Maybe something similar to a 280 AI.

Emphasis heavily on the factory support.

Harvey_NW

WKR
A non belted alternative to a 7mm Rem mag, with actual factory support, and chamber/rIfling specs to support heavy-for-caliber bullets. Something not as magnum as hot and hard-recoiling as the 28 Nosler. Maybe something similar to a 280 AI.

Emphasis heavily on the factory support.
Oh I fully agree, I was just answering in terms of short action options as originally posted.

I don't know if you guys heard the gossip but in a Long Range Pursuit podcast Aaron Davidson was talking about the 7 LRM and dropped the line "soon to be the 7 PRC".
Well it started a lot of buzz and the podcast was later edited to remove the comment.
Anywho the LRM is based off the 375 Ruger just like the 300 prc, only with the shoulder pushed back a little giving it a case capacity of around 89 grains.
It'll be a huge success if this is true