7mm Rem Mag scope

Hawkeye54

FNG
Looking to buy a new scope for a 7mmRM. I have been lurking through the forum and think I have narrowed it down to a few choices. This is for a hunting rig (500 yards) and some target use (7-800 yards). Looking at (in no particular order) the Zeiss Conquest V4, Leupold VX-5HD and Maven RS.3 or RS.5. I normally run a Vortex scope but looking for something different in the $1000-1500 price range. Thoughts on the above scopes? I’ve never used illumination is it necessary? It seems like it’s trending that way. I’ve have both FFP & SFP scopes, so either would be fine.

Thank you. Is the CDS pretty true? If so, that would be a convenient option. I’m used to using a holdover so having a retical with moa markers would be a nice thing to have, but not mandatory by any means.
true enuff to hit 12" steel out to 600 (never attempted anything farther), but the scope can only do so much, you still have to do your part

Thank you. Is the CDS pretty true? If so, that would be a convenient option. I’m used to using a holdover so having a retical with moa markers would be a nice thing to have, but not mandatory by any means.
CDS can be accurate enough. The old adage “garbage in garbage out” is applicable.

For the VX5/6 HD, with illumination, be careful about the battery cover falling off. Had one get lost on a VX5HD last year in Kansas and one on a VX6HD on a black bear hunt in AZ recently.

Mine have been reliable but losing those damn covers ticks me off.

OP
H

Hawkeye54

FNG
For the VX5/6 HD, with illumination, be careful about the battery cover falling off. Had one get lost on a VX5HD last year in Kansas and one on a VX6HD on a black bear hunt in AZ recently.

Mine have been reliable but losing those damn covers ticks me off.
Good point. You mentioned the VX6, that was on my list too. Is it worth the upgrade from the 5?

Good point. You mentioned the VX6, that was on my list too. Is it worth the upgrade from the 5?
Glass is the same. The VX6HD includes more reticle choices as well as extras.

Internal level on the 6 is nice but can achieve the same with a bubble level. Flip up covers are a great idea but snag on brush; I’m removing mine as I’m tired of them popping open. Throw ring is nice but can poke you in the ribs when in lowest magnification.

Depending on your desired magnification range the 6 can be had for less than a comparable 5.

Also don’t waste money on a Leupold neoprene cover. They suck. Cannot understand why a beer coozy can be made for a couple of bucks and last thousands of beverages yet a neoprene cover will tear the first time removing it.

My VX5HDs and VX6HD have been reliable. But I’d probably look at grabbing a a Razor LHT if I need another scope in that category as I’ve had great success with its predecessor (Razor LH).

JakeSCH

WKR
I have or had all those scopes. The only one I still don't have is the RS.3, because I liked a capped windage knob.

They are all good for different reasons. VX5HD has good glass and is light weight. Razor has good reticle, light weight but magnification ring is annoying to turn. RS5 is excellent in every way but weight (6oz heavier than VX5HD). The V4 i have that least amount of time with, but they should change soon as I develop a load for 124 HH for it.

VX5HD Windplex on my 280ai
Razor LHT on 6.5 PRC
RS.5 SHR-W on 300 WM & 338 RUM
Zeiss V4 on 308 Win

My favorite of the bunch is the RS.5, but it is heavy so I put it as a tie with the VX5HD.

At some point I will probably sell either the Razor LHT or V4 and mount my RS.1 on the 308.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hawkeye54

FNG
I have or had all those scopes. The only one I still don't have is the RS.3, because I liked a capped windage knob.

They are all good for different reasons. VX5HD has good glass and is light weight. Razor has good reticle, light weight but magnification ring is annoying to turn. RS5 is excellent in every way but weight (6oz heavier than VX5HD). The V4 i have that least amount of time with, but they should change soon as I develop a load for 124 HH for it.

VX5HD Windplex on my 280ai
Razor LHT on 6.5 PRC
RS.5 SHR-W on 300 WM & 338 RUM
Zeiss V4 on 308 Win

My favorite of the bunch is the RS.5, but it is heavy so I put it as a tie with the VX5HD.

At some point I will probably sell either the Razor LHT or V4 and mount my RS.1 on the 308.
Thanks for the information. I’m intrigued by the Maven line and curious how the ffp reticle in the rs.3 appears at low magnification. Might have to look at the Razor LHT again and reconsider that one as well.

JakeSCH

WKR
Thanks for the information. I’m intrigued by the Maven line and curious how the ffp reticle in the rs.3 appears at low magnification. Might have to look at the Razor LHT again and reconsider that one as well.

The RS.3 is a good scope, I like FFP for holding wind while not at max magnification. At the lowest magnification levels, the rs.3 basically looks like a blurry duplex reticle.

Basically, all the scopes you brought up are good, it comes down to personal preferences between them. Though you just missed a 15% off sale from Maven that ended 2 days ago.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
I like the V4 quite a bit, nothing wrong with the Leupold not familiar with the Mavens. For hunting with a 7 mag I don’t need hash marks to 500 yards so have a simple duplex VX3I 4.5-14x50 on mine. It shoots very tiny groups on paper & kills things well. For longer shots dialing or reticle needed. The 4-16 looks & functions well on a 7 with a couple of different reticle or the dial.