7mm rem mag vs 308

That's good information.
How do you like your 338 RUM? What have you used it on?
I like it a lot. I had to do some work to get it to shoot right but it’s very accurate and (with the muzzle brake) kicks less than my lightweight 30-06. I don’t carry it much because it weighs 9.75 lbs loaded with a sling attached.

So far I’ve only killed prairie dogs, paper and steel with that rifle.
I packed it hunting moose in AK several times but never lined up with a legal bull. In Wyoming I’d probably bring it if I draw a desert elk tag, that’s more of a drive and glass hunt than a hiking hunt. I’d also bring it along if they’d open up the grizzly hunt.

Laramie

WKR
I would guess that the number of big game hunters since the inception of the 7 mag outnumbers the previous 50 years easily, I’ll stick with my opinion on the 7 mag

technically the 308 probably wins
You are way, way off base. The 30-06 still outsells the 7mag 2.5-1 in modern day gun purchases. The 7mag is very common and very popular but worldwide it is not on the same level.
1648561913143.png

EcoastDG

FNG
I am a gun nut as well andI have owned and shot game with 308, 30-06, 7 Rem Mag, 300 Win. I never had any issues with any of them, they all did the job effectively. The 308 was great in the whitetail woods in a stand with a suppressor. Once I started hunting out west (Colorado and Montana) I picked up a Tikka T3x in 7 Rem Mag. It is now my go to hunting rifle for everything.
I purchased a prefit 300 Win Mag barrel to switch out for my spring bear hunts in Montana. The 7 Rem Mag would be enough gun but it’s nice having that bit of extra horsepower now that my teenage son is hunting with me. At least that’s the excuse I gave my wife when I ordered yet another Carbon 6 barrel, lol.
I had a classic Remington 700 30-06 (my first ever hunting rifle) that I eventually had rebarreled (you guessed it , Carbon 6) into a 280 AI. I am a novice reloader and it has been nice being able to use the same bullets for my wife’s 7mm-08 (also a Tikka) the 280AI, and my 7 Rem Mag (mostly 140gr partitions and accubonds).
Tikka are great rifles (I own 3). The stock triggers are great, however I am loving the Timney 2 stage trigger on my main hunting rifle.

Like others have said 7mm rem mag is flatter, and carries much more energy past 300 yrds than 308 win. However, it also produces more recoil not as much as 300 wm though.

Unless you're shooting really heavy pills (215 gr+) in 300 wm the 7mm rem mag (160-175 gr.) hangs right with 300 wm with less recoil.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
The 7mm Mag is the all time most popular magnum caliber
All time most popular?
Magnum. I don't consider 30-06 a magnum so that's a gas to diesel argument, kind of like 308 vs 7RM.

7mm is my favorite caliber, I've owned a couple Tikka 7RM's and the only thing you'll find inconvenient is the mag limitation and the belted cases if you plan on reloading. Other than that it sounds like you got a screaming deal, hope it serves you well.

OP
M

Mattc1126

FNG
Magnum. I don't consider 30-06 a magnum so that's a gas to diesel argument, kind of like 308 vs 7RM.

7mm is my favorite caliber, I've owned a couple Tikka 7RM's and the only thing you'll find inconvenient is the mag limitation and the belted cases if you plan on reloading. Other than that it sounds like you got a screaming deal, hope it serves you well.
Thanks boss! Looking forward to finally shooting it. Glad I picked it up.