7mm Rem mag VS. 7mm WSM

hunthard

FNG
was considering both as a new rifle for my go to gun from antelope to elk. I will reload amo, was wanting to pick as many brains as possible on pros and cons for both.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty darn similar....rem mag may have better performance over 700-800 yards but close on everything else

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Not much difference there beside action length and mag capacity. I think the WSM actually has a touch more case capacity, but I would have to double-check that.

Brass is easier to find and generally cheaper for the RM.

How is the recoil difference bewteen the two. I LOVE my 7mm rm, and my wife doesnt mind the recoil.... but If i could get the same perfomance (or close) in a lighter less brutal package that would be great for her.
Joe

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Joe,

You can't beat physics. Recoil is a function of bullet weight, muzzle velocity, and weapon weight.

These cartridges will have similar muzzle velocities with similar weight bullets, and so, will recoil similarly.

You can reduce recoil noticeably by increasing weapon weight.

Thats pretty much exactly what i figured, i have just heard claims that the WSM kicked less. I am debating getting her a Rem mag and having it ported.... that way we can both share bullets and be good to go

Joe

Joe,

You can't beat physics. Recoil is a function of bullet weight, muzzle velocity, and weapon weight.

These cartridges will have similar muzzle velocities with similar weight bullets, and so, will recoil similarly.

You can reduce recoil noticeably by increasing weapon weight.

OP
H

hunthard

FNG
thanks for the replies, I had looked at the balistic tables for both and new there wasn't a whole lot of diffference there, just thought I would see if there was any other reasons to pick one over the other.

FURMAN

WKR
If you are buying a rifle off the shelf the 7mm Remington magnum will outperform the WSM on average using hadloads and bigger bullets. In order to use the bigger high BC bullets from a magazine the WSM looses too much case capacity. I built my WSM on a long action to seat the Berger 180s out where they should be. The Remington magnum will still loose a little case capacity in a factory mag box with the Bergers seated where they should be. If you are not shooting long range you will never notice the difference. If you are shooting long range the difference will be very little. I measured three of my WSM cases for an average just over 83gr water and three Rem Mag cases for an average just under 85gr water. As I stated earlier you have to consider how much of the bullet is in the case.

Shrek

WKR
I have the 7mm wsm and love it but a 7mm rem mag is cheaper and easier to feed. The kick is a little easier to me but that has to to do with how the energy spreads over time. Equal weight bullets with equal velocity tranfer the same amount of energy to you. A heavier rifle will asorb more and spread the kick out over more time and lessen the perceived kick . The rounds performances are very close.

30-338mag

FNG
I've never shot a 7WSM but I've had couple 300WSM and 270WSM build using Model 70 WSM actions. One problem with the WSM is OAL and load density with some of the heavier bullets vs 7Mag on a long action. You look at 160gr AB that bullets 1.405" long in the 7WSM your going to have over half that bullet in the case.

Whisky

WKR
Factory rifle? If so, 7 Rem Mag.

If going custom, that opens up some doors for you and you'd do well to look at a 7mm SAUM built on a long action.

As big as picking the right cartridge is, it's also very important to figure out what bullets you want to shoot and make sure case capacity, COAL, mag box and throat are all "in harmony".

This is a good read...
http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html

Shrek

WKR
Hunthard , are we talking about a factory rifle or custom ? Do you hand load or is this factory ammo ? Those two answers make all the difference in the world as to what works.

OP
H

hunthard

FNG
the rifle would be factory, I was considering a tikka. I do hand load but am new to it, I have noticed that 7 wsm ammo from factory is pretty scarce in the local stores and not as much selection in any of the outdoor catalogs. If I was always hand loading amo it wouldnt be a big deal most times, but in a pinch this could be a problem. The more I learn on the subject I'm thinking about just goin with the 7mm rem mag. I've got another month or so before I purchase so if you all got anything else I should consider throw it at me, thanks.

Shrek

WKR
If you hand load and want to drop the recoil I would get the 7-08 and forget the magnum cartridges . A good load out of the 7-08 will knock'em dead to 450 yards and be a lot easier on her. It will kill cleanly a good bit farther than that but the drop and drift gets harder to work with. Go set a target up at 450 yards and have her aim a rifle over a pack or off a shooting sticks and see just how far that is under field conditions. I bet she would not feel very confident there much less further. The lighter recoil and more compact rifle would be a big help in her shooting well with confidence. I'm tuning up a 7mm wsm mostly for the cool factor and my ego. Reality is my 7-08 would do the job all day.

Sorry , wrong thread. I thought this was for your wife for some reason. 7mm rem mag for an easy to load for and find factory loads too.

Shrek

WKR
I know I said 7mm rem mag but there is a beautiful kimber 8400 in 7mm wsm for sale on 24hourcampfire . It's got dies and some brass with it. He is asking $1000 shipped but I wouldn't go more than $900 for the package. Always a chance it's a shotgun pretending to be a rifle but you can get that new out of the box too. Just saw it and thought of this thread.

philw

Lil-Rokslider
was considering both as a new rifle for my go to gun from antelope to elk. I will reload amo, was wanting to pick as many brains as possible on pros and cons for both.

Loaded ammo. for the 7 WSM is scarce, and so is brass. Only Winchester makes it any more and their 7 WSM brass is notorious for being as crooked as a banana. Really the only advantage of a WSM is that you can get it in a light-weight, short action and that only applies to rifles built to be lightweight like the Kimber as far as factory rifles.