7mm Rem Mag w/ Scirocco II's Load Data please

roymunson

WKR
I am looking primarily for a COAL for this round. I'm shooting it in my Tikka T3. Planning on using either H4350 or N160

150 grain bullet

Anyone loaded anything similar? I can't find how deep to seat them anywhere online.

The Nosler books shows AB and Partitions at 3.290"
But those are different length bullets, any help for a not total greenhorn, but definitely not a seasoned vet.

Marble

WKR
I shoot that bullet in mine.

RL 22, 68 grains, 3240 FPS, 26" barrell

OAL is going to vary on your throat. If it were me I would start .010 off if the Tikka can hold a shell that long.

It's been a great bullet and very accurate. I've killed well over a dozen elk with it and dozens of bucks. Never had one perform in anyway that wasn't impressive.

My longest shots have been 550ish.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
I shoot that bullet in mine.

RL 22, 68 grains, 3240 FPS, 26" barrell

OAL is going to vary on your throat. If it were me I would start .010 off if the Tikka can hold a shell that long.

It's been a great bullet and very accurate. I've killed well over a dozen elk with it and dozens of bucks. Never had one perform in anyway that wasn't impressive.

My longest shots have been 550ish.

This is good to hear. Plan on making this a wyoming mule deer/pronghorn combo gun for this fall. Everyone says stay back from the shoulder on the pronghorn.

Marble

WKR
This is good to hear. Plan on making this a wyoming mule deer/pronghorn combo gun for this fall. Everyone says stay back from the shoulder on the pronghorn.
They aren't a huge animal and the bone structure is like a smaller deer. So hit behind the shoulder by a 4-5" and that will keep you out of the shoulder.

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a lot of Sciroccos.

Start the bullets .050 off the lands and move back as necessary, not closer to the lands.

Most of my loads are at .050.

Also, in 7mag. I'd use 7828 or rl22.

H4831 might work

As it's been pointed out, they are excellent bullets, if you can get them to shoot.

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
I shoot a lot of Sciroccos.

Start the bullets .050 off the lands and move back as necessary, not closer to the lands.

Most of my loads are at .050.

Also, in 7mag. I'd use 7828 or rl22.

H4831 might work

As it's been pointed out, they are excellent bullets, if you can get them to shoot.
I'm ringing 10" steel at 400 yards with h4350, I know that's not clinical accuracy, but for an Ohio guy who grew up shooting rifled slugs, it feels that way.

We're gonna keep chasing it and seeing if we can keep refining it.

Torrey in Tahoe

Lil-Rokslider
Find a compatible powder from the load data that's available. Find the charge weight that gives you the lowest extreme spread and standard deviation then start at .010 to .020 off the lands and find the length to ogive that gives you the tightest groups. Erik Cortina's YouTube videos on load development are pretty much the gospel on how to do it.

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
Find a compatible powder from the load data that's available. Find the charge weight that gives you the lowest extreme spread and standard deviation then start at .010 to .020 off the lands and find the length to ogive that gives you the tightest groups. Erik Cortina's YouTube videos on load development are pretty much the gospel on how to do it.
This post ruined my day. I didn't know what an amateur I was. Good grief!

Torrey in Tahoe

Lil-Rokslider
This post ruined my day. I didn't know what an amateur I was. Good grief!
I know how you feel. I'd been loading shotgun and pistol all my life but when I started loading for rifle I realized it was an entirely different animal. Panhandle Precision, Erik Cortina and Bolt Action Reloader are all YouTube channels that are excellent. They are all F-Class and PRS shooters and they have this stuff down to a science. Every time you think you know the basic requirements of loading good ammo you learn about some other thing that you never even thought of.

aachey

Lil-Rokslider
I will also be loading this bullet in my 7mm rem mag. The research ive done shows these bullets really like being seated further from the lands. My rem mag has a jam point of 3.39. For reference nosler has a 3.29 seating depth for most their 7mm bullets. So when i do my loads im just going to set them at 3.29. Be 100 thou jump which is right in line where ive seen a lot of people suggest. Obviously each load needs to be worked up for your own rifle. People also recommend using the berger idea, which is starting around 50 thou off lands and jumping back.

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
So jumping the Scirroco hasn't been what has worked for me and the guns I have done. Primarily for a 7 mag, but also in a few 7-08s. I haven't researched what people have said about jumping it, but from my experience, I haven't needed to jump them at all. They have all been within .010 of the lands.

So don't be afraid to try it out and experiment. I have a few rifles that shoot nearly identical loads but have a .040 seating depth difference.

Also, IME, all of my Scirroco loads have liked to be at or slightly over book max. So obviously work your way up to that.

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
My tikka was jamming much longer at 3.457

I went back to 3.437 and worked shorter from there back to 3.422 before I’d run out of test loads I had made.

The 3.457 was tested twice and that’s what came out.

I may back off to the 3.290 and work off of that until I get something I like. That length worked for my partitions

Sound logic?

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
I'd back them to 3.407". That'd be 0.050" off the lands. Both the .308 and .338 caliber scirocco 2 bullets in my rifles have found best accuracy between 50 and 100 thousand off the lands.