7mm saum or 300 wsm

nebhunt

WKR
Thinking of putting together a short action rifle for hunting. It will be used about 70% deer and 30% fro elk. What are your thoughts on these two? Can a person even find the brass? I have most all of the powders they use and the bullets and primers. Is the 300 wsm worth the extra recoil?

OP
N

nebhunt

WKR
I know a medium action would be best but I have a Bighorn SR3 short action with a jewel trigger sitting in a McMillan Edge that I am going to change out the barrel

SAUM on a short is just fine. The WSM would really benefit from a longer action.

I have a 7 SAUM and it’s really nice. I had a 300 wsm which was great on elk but was in a SA and limited on bullet choice.

In your case with the SA the 7 SAUM will do all you need

B23

WKR
I think, either, would be an extremely good choice. I'm a big 30 cal fan it's probably my favorite caliber out of all of them so, for me, I'd build a 300 WSM before anything 7mm. But, I have a 7mm Blaser mag that shoots the 180 Bergers 3100 in to bugholes that I wouldn't hesitate to build another too.

Even though I tend to favor 30 cals you can't go wrong with either. If you plan to use a short-ish barrel it will favor the larger bore of the 300 WSM so there's something else to think about.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I have a 7 SAUM in a Remington Model Seven with a factory 22” barrel and factory hinge floorplate. I shoot 160 grain Accubonds and Partitions in it and have never wished it was a medium or long action.

I’m getting 2960 fps with the 160s in my rifle.

I’ll never be without a 7 SAUM in my collection.

SDHNTR

WKR
I have a 300 wsm on a short with a Wyatts extended box. Works fine, even with 181 Hammers which are quite long.

B23

WKR
I'm not that familiar with the OP's action but if it would accept a Wyatt's 3.100 Baney box I'd go that route.

Tullis94

WKR
In a short action I would go SAUM and shoot bullets in the 168 class. I prefer 300 WSM but I think a short action hurts their potential more than a SAUM.

I have a 300 wsm on a short with a Wyatts extended box. Works fine, even with 181 Hammers which are quite long.
What kinda speeds are you getting with that? I'm a big fan of the 181s and the Ole man just picked up a wsm I might end up loading for it as well

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

deadwolf

WKR
If you’re building a saum or wsm and have the choice, you should absolutely build on a medium action. Second to that if you plan to run heavier bullets in those calibers you should have your gunsmith throat it accordingly. If youre building to saami spec in those calibers or on a SA, you’ll be limited at 168ish in the 7 saum and 200gr in the 300wsm
I have been down this road youre traveling, and if you’re building from scratch it doesn’t make sense to hobble yourself in a short action. Now if you have a donor SA, and don’t care to shoot over a 150-168 in the 7 SAUM, by all means, go that route. But if you’d like to shoot say, 180 Berger’s in that SAUM, with their high BC, you’d better go for a medium.

This topic comes up often, both saum and wsm were designed for a short action, heck, it’s in their name! But, they work better on a medium action loaded long and heavy :)

aschuler

FNG
I had a 300wsm on a SA with wyatt's box. I re-barrelled it to 7 saum, I like the SAUM better.
I shoot 180s out of it just fine with the wyatt's mag box, 2800fps on a 22" barrel.

deadwolf

WKR
I had a 300wsm on a SA with wyatt's box. I re-barrelled it to 7 saum, I like the SAUM better.
I shoot 180s out of it just fine with the wyatt's mag box, 2800fps on a 22" barrel.

What powder and charge weight are you using?

What brass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a 7 SAUM on a Med (XM) action but with a SAAMI chamber. For 175 class and lighter bullets, the SA would have been just find and I would have had no regrets if I had a SA over the XM. RL-23 has been great with every bullet (175 ELD-X, 168 VLDs, and several Barnes/Hammers) that I've tried.