7mm STW build in progress... Budget LR Hunting Rifle Phase I

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would build the bench at least 8' long. That's what I ended up with and I wish it was bigger.

Agreed. Mine is 16' long and if it was half, I would be screwed! Also make it high where you can stand and load if you want to or use a bar stool if you want to sit down.

Shrek

WKR
I would build the bench at least 8' long. That's what I ended up with and I wish it was bigger.

I built mine 26"x 8' and it's still not enough ! I'm going to build a second one for the other wall so I can have one bench just for loading and the other just working on rifles.

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've got room for about 24' of counterspace, it's plumbed for a sink, and there's a urinal installed on the wall :D

Beer fridge and a flat-screen are on the wish list! It's a separate room off the back of my garage. It's a multi-purpose work shop - Archery Pro shop, reloading, working on dirt bikes, avoiding the family, etc...

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for the info on the extended magazines - I'll be interested to see how you like yours for the 338 Norma Mike.

Whisky

WKR
Coop , there is nothing to go bad as it is just like your standard magazine box that is in your rifle now except it's 1/8th inch longer. The play it opens up is what allows the follower to move back and forth. Wyatt needs to make a matching follower. I think if I maching the lips back an 1/8" it will let the nose come up sooner while the base of the cartridge is still on the body of the round beneath it. As it sits now the base is right at the shoulder as it comes up. With the follower back the round underneath noses down and the base of the feeding round slides down the shoulder and the nose goes up and hits the top of the action right behind the barrel. If the follower is forward it supports the round underneath and it feeds fine.

I think awhile back you and I had discussed this briefly. At one point I had thought the feed rails needed to be moved back. I was wrong... Here is the fix. I was having the same problem as you. My buddy has fixed a few more now after learning the hard way on my rifle what the process is. It's a quick fix once you know what to do, and are capable (I'm not, hence my copy and paste).

Coop, feeding issues with Wyatts mag boxes are very common. But a smith who knows how to fix it can do so very easily.

I have ran into this issue on extended mag box installs in the past.

The problem is in the mag box. As your feeding the round its causing the rear of the mag box to open, which in turn releases the upward pressure on the rear of the cartridges underneath the round being fed to be released, causing the bolt over base FTF.

This mostly happens with the 1st and 2nd rounds with the 3rd and 4th generally feeding but not usually all that smoothly.

My fix is to first figure out if the rear of the mag box needs to be closed up more than its factory width, then I silver solder the box together at the back to keep the box from opening during feeding. The front of the feedlips will need to be bent in to facilitate kicking the round out from under the feed rails in the reciever at the proper time as well.

If you want to PM me I'll walk you through it.

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Almost forgot! I got in some Long range practice yesterday (shooting paper). Made a first shot hit at 780 yards - on camera. Shot a little video for Rokslide that I'll put together and post this week. It was FUN!

Coop

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here's a video from my Long Range practice session this weekend... Apologize if it's a bit long winded!

[video=vimeo;63175866]http://vimeo.com/63175866[/video]

Coop

Great video and good shoot Darin! You REALLY need to pick up some AR500 steel for shooting at distance man! MGM targets is out of Boise and I can maybe get you a decent deal on a plate or two... Looks like a great place for some shooting as well!

Mike

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I couldn't agree more! The $9.99 Walmart target stand I got is too small for long range work and an audible confirmation on hits would sure make for more productive practice. I'm just a rookie... what can I say! .

Shoot me an email on the steel - If the price is right, I'll go pick a plate up this week!

Did you see the sheet of paper flap down right before my first shot at about 2:30 in the video?!? Pretty funny in slow-mo, it falls out of the way right as the bullet gets there. It had blown up and was held there by the wind.

Coop

Nope I must've missed that part! I'll go back and check it out! At first I thought you were shooting at a mild steel plate and were just blowing through it lol

What's your email Darin?

Mike

KMD

Banned
That is one beautiful rifle range you have there!
Good shooting, I can see some AR500 in your future :) Nothing like the slightly delayed gratification of bullet/steel interaction to confirm a hit!!!

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That is one beautiful rifle range you have there!
Good shooting, I can see some AR500 in your future :) Nothing like the slightly delayed gratification of bullet/steel interaction to confirm a hit!!!

Thanks! Just wish it was literally my back yard instead of a nice, long scenic drive from home. Maybe they can cut me a steel plate in the shape of a wolf? :)

Coop

Thanks! Just wish it was literally my back yard instead of a nice, long scenic drive from home. Maybe they can cut me a steel plate in the shape of a wolf? :)

Coop

We can do that... lol
Would you be interested in a T-post bracket to hang your steel from? What size steel do you think would be good? 12" square/round? 10" round? 66% IPSC target? 44% IPSC target?

Mike

Whisky

WKR

Coop

No wolf, but I got some coyotes...Spring is almost here. Soon time to get her painted up and start blasting.

y5e6a7ep.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Coop,
Finally had a minute to sit down and watch the video. Very good stuff, you had me from the very start. Way to keep the un-edited misses in there, too. I've never had the long-rang bug, but you might have got me with this project.
Thanks for taking the time. Lord knows it takes a bunch to video and edit and upload.

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Oh... I got the fever Robby! This little dabble has created some much bigger (farther) plans. I'm having fun with it for sure. I probably got lucky in picking up a great shooting rifle right out of the box, but sure is fun!

Whisky, I love that steel yote... gotta be fun hearing that dog ring!

Hope to have a piece of steel by the weekend - got the itch to some more shooting.

Coop

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We can do that... lol
Would you be interested in a T-post bracket to hang your steel from? What size steel do you think would be good? 12" square/round? 10" round? 66% IPSC target? 44% IPSC target?

Mike
I think a 12" round would probably work good for my needs with an H-base.

Most guys that shoot steel either suspend it from a crossbar by some fireman hose or mount it to a Tpost bracket. I wouldn't recommend an H base, it's nice to have something that will spring and flex so you don't have to walk the 1000 yards back to the target when you knock it over! ;)

Unless I'm totally off on what you envision using your Hbase as!

Mike

Last edited: